Any July 4 veterans out there?

DLVisitor

Mouseketeer
I will be "going home" for the first time July 4. I have a few questions I would like to ask some members who have been there on July 4. Like:
1. Are the fireworks great on July 4?
2. Would you try to book an illuminations cruise on July 4 or enjoy it on a regular day?
3. Is it very crowded on July 4? We will be checking in that day.
4. Any overall advice? We'll be there for 8 days.

THANKS!

I would like to know this too. We'll be checking in on July 2.

Ditto, we'll be there June 29- July 13.

We'll be there too!
Staying at BWV for the first time (own at OKW) June 28 - July 7!

You'll probably get a lot of responses if you post this over on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board. :) Just a hint if all you July 4th'ers want more ideas.

I've personally never been to WDW that time of year, so can't help in that respect. Good luck finding your answers! :)

DLVisitor,

The IllumiNations Cruises are VERY popular, and I would imagine the competition for a July 4th cruise is going to be fierce. I would suggest calling exactly 90 days out, right at 7am (407-WDW-PLAY).

Deb Wills' page has some more info:

http://www.wdwig.com/illum.htm

My DW and I were at the Magic Kingdom a few years ago for July 4. Although we enjoyed the fireworks we didn't feel that they were anything above and beyond what they normally do with the exception that the same show seemed to be taking place simultaneously above the castle and above the train station at the beginning of Main St.

The crowds were rediculous. Mobs of people everywhere. As a matter of fact, they had to close entrance to the parks because of the crowds.

All in all, we had fun but the fireworks were probably the least impressive I've seen at Disney. Illuminations would probably be a better bet.

It has been a number of years since I did the 4th (and vowed never to do it again because of huge crowds). As I recall, the only more elaborate than normal fireworks of the day were at MK; Epcot just had its regular Illuminations. The 4th at MK was wall to wall people and just jostling to keep your place to watch the fireworks was more effort than I ever want to experience again. I just remember having a desire to kill (which I repressed) when two adults, at the last minute before the fireworks began, decided to take up residence in a very small space in front us and stand right in front of our kids. The fireworks were fine but not overwhelming (can't beat Chicago on July 3 or NYC on the 4th).

We were informed by others that Epcot was fairly light on the 4th as far as crowds went as everyone had gone to MK (and having been at MK I think that included the entire population of several countries).

I was in MK on July 4th, 1989. Fireworks were a bit extra. Crowds were unbelievable - stood in line until 2:30 A.M (YES!) just to get to the exit turnstiles. Then another line to get to the tram to the parking lot. Never, and I repeat Never Again at MK. Last year we were at Epcot, and it was not horrible - not slim crowds, but regular summer crowds. I thought maybe Illuminations would be different, but it was not. We were at the International Gateway during Illuminations and made a quick exit as soon as it was over. I was parked at BW, so even though the traffic was heavy, it wasn't too bad getting back to OKW.

We were at DW this past July 4th. Spent the morning at AK, very little crowds, went to the hotel for rest and swim in the afternoon, headed to the MK about 5:00 p.m. The bus driver told us they were close to closing the park but when we got there guest services said they were not. We went in and had dinner, rode Aladin since there was no line as we were walking by and then proceded to head out of the MK for the fireworks. We watched them from the boat launch area with about 6 other people. The fireworks were the best I have ever seen. They were shooting them all around us. There were more coming from the beach at the Poly then from actually inside the park. Although the park was absolutely packed we were able to get on the first bus back to our resort since we were already outside of the park. I would do it the same again if I were to go at this time of year again. Fortunately we get to go in June this year instead of July.

Have lots of fun!

Lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter