• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any issues w. "pooh" riders on Maliboomer or any other rides?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
First timer heading out to D'land and DCA and was wondering if anyone could tell me their thoughts on how maliboomer handles overweight rides and if there are any other rides at either park I should worry about?

thanks for the help!

Maliboomer is actually one of the two rides my husband has had troubles with. He's built naturally like a sumo wrestler, and right now he's a retired sumo, LOL (no, he doesn't mind me describing him like that). He has a very broad, deep torso, and he has a belly and bulk around his shoulder blades. I'm describing him so you can compare your own build...he's the only person I've heard of that hasn't been able to ride it...I'm not sure it's a normal thing to not be able to ride it. He also has a factor of strange extra bulk caused by a pituitary tumor...he has extra size (though now that he's taking a drug to stop the hormone-creating-tumor he's losing bulk) that isn't reflected in his weight.

That all combines to create a situation where the harness goes down, but he cannot click the strap that is at the bottom of the harness into the clip in the seat. Last time he tried he had about an inch to go...I bet he'll be able to make it NOW, but 3 times not being able to ride it has kind of soured his wish to ride it.

Anyway, that's the problem; that there's a clip after the harness, so if you have a really thick torso/back combined with a belly, it's possible you'll have problems.

The other ride he couldln't ride was Mulholland Madness. There is very little leg room in the seat. If he had skinny legs, he could have crossed his ankles, thereby "lowering" his legs/thighs, and he could have gotten the bar under his belly. However, he has tree trunk legs, and he couldn't get them lower, and he couldn't ride.

I will tell you... the CMs have been nothing but kind and polite. On Mulholland Madness, however...the fellow guests were sickening. We were actually waiting on the diagnosis of the pituitary tumor during that trip, and we suspected that some of his bulk wasn't his "fault", but we didn't know that for a fact then...it was really very awful, what those fellow guests said to him as he left the ride. :sad1:

Thankfully, Maliboomer doesn't have an audience like that.

I don't know the answer to your question but I just wanted to say to bumbershoot that I feel so sad for what happened to your hubby :sad2: How disgusting that some people just can't keep their rude and innappropriate comments to themselves :sad1:

xxx

My brother had problems with Maliboomer- he is about the same size as Bumbershoot's husband is described. He's god a belly, but also big up top with the shoulders. The cast members really were great- we asked beforehand what they thought if he would fit, and they said they've seen guys around his size get on there (He's around 315 lbs, 6'5") but it really makes a difference where you carry your weight since you have to attach the strap. He also wanted to ride California Screamin' but was afraid he wouldn't fit :/

I am one who was REALLY worried about this when we went. I'm the one who doesnt' go on rides at out local fair cause i'm affraid i won't fit then its a local crowd who might see me again around the city who will always remember the fat girl who got kicked off...... i know the feeling cause it happened (me getting kicked off a ride) and havn't tired since.... that being said when i was DL i was determind to try everything i wanted cause i figuare its not likely i will ever see anyone that does see. So i tried and i'm glad i did!!! I went on everything but the 2 bumbershoot was talking about and thats cause i did my homework like your doing and heard those arn't very pooh friendly. I say just try...... cause your probley never gonna see any of these people ever again, so if you can't get on just hold your head up high and remember this in the old days and even in some countrys still they respect "pooh" size people cause the have enough $$ to keep them selves that size.... i know i know silly but thats ok.... Have a great trip!!

On a side note bumber i'm soooo sorry your husband had to go thru that!!!! i think all us "pooh" sized people know how that feels even if its not brought on from a ride :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter