any help for a drowned iPod touch?

hoosiermama

Mouseketeer
my son accidently dropped his iPod in a bathtub (stupid story - won't go into details). Is it just a dead deal or is there anything to do with it?

Power off the device (if it’s not off already) and try to completely cover the iPod in a bowl of rice. Let it try for at least 24 hours and DO NOT try to charge the device.

Good luck!

Note: I did this with my blackberry and it worked -- however I removed the battery and dried it separately.

I have heard to try setting all of the components in a bowl of rice, that it will pull the moisture out of it. Good luck!

For any electronic device that gets soaked I pull the battery, dismantle the device as much as I can and then soak it with rubbing alcohol and then let it dry over night. The alcohol wil displace the water and hopefully it will work.

It may work. I washed my Ipod Nano. After sitting in rice for 48 hours, it did come back on but never worked properly again.

Mine got wet as well. I filled a gallon ziplock baggie with rice and covered the iTouch. I didn't mess with it or try and turn it on for several days. Then, it was good as new.

Rice is not the best method, you need to get silica gel! It is located in bags in the floral department at Hobby Lobby or any craft store. Bring your coupons for it. It is around $13 for 5lbs. The best part you can bake it for a couple of hours and reuse it. I left my sunroof open during a rain and dried out my car this way.
The reason rice is put in salt is not to wick away moisture but to break apart the salt so it does not stick. Alton Brown on Good Eats talks about this in the Popcorn episode.

thanks for the suggestions....especially the link. I'll be giving some things a try. Here's praying that it works!

Rice is not the best method, you need to get silica gel! It is located in bags in the floral department at Hobby Lobby or any craft store. Bring your coupons for it. It is around $13 for 5lbs. The best part you can bake it for a couple of hours and reuse it. I left my sunroof open during a rain and dried out my car this way.
The reason rice is put in salt is not to wick away moisture but to break apart the salt so it does not stick. Alton Brown on Good Eats talks about this in the Popcorn episode.

I don't know anything about silica gel, but I do know that rice DOES work. We left a metronome outside overnight in the pouring down rain. Seriously, it poured for like 12 hours. We picked up the device and literally poured water out of it. Just for kicks, we put it in rice "just to see." It totally worked!!

Another vote for rice. We had a cell phone fall in the toilet, of all places!! After he fished it out, I dried it off, took the back off and the battery out. Put it in rice, left it for 48 hours and it works perfectly.

I don't know anything about silica gel, but I do know that rice DOES work. We left a metronome outside overnight in the pouring down rain. Seriously, it poured for like 12 hours. We picked up the device and literally poured water out of it. Just for kicks, we put it in rice "just to see." It totally worked!!
Rice does work, you're right. A coworker dropped her iPhone in water and used rice..she also used the vaccum on it where the dock connector is to suck the water out. It worked.

My Nano also went through the wash. Tried the rice, but it never worked again. Hope you have better luck.

Rice and a ziplock! The best Advice... Don't turn it on for atleast 5 days... to make sure its totally dried out! My daughter threw up on hers! :scared1:
Goodluck!

This was just on the Today Show a few weeks ago. They said to remove the battery, use your blow dryer (on the low cool setting) on the battery, and to put the phone or Ipod or whatever in a bowl of rice and cover it completely for a day or two.

Hope you have better luck than I did. I had a bottle of conditioner that spilled on mine... it hasn't worked since. That was a few weeks ago... RIP iTouch.... :(

We had an ipod (nano I think) go through the washing machine a few weeks ago. I dried it out for about 4 days. It is completely fine. I simply let it dry out with no rice or anything!

We had an ipod (nano I think) go through the washing machine a few weeks ago. I dried it out for about 4 days. It is completely fine. I simply let it dry out with no rice or anything!

Did the same thing...thought it was dead, left it alone for a LONG time, then someone tried it and it came back to life!

Hope you have better luck than I did. I had a bottle of conditioner that spilled on mine... it hasn't worked since. That was a few weeks ago... RIP iTouch.... :(
Honestly, if it's dead, I'd totally soak it in water with the battery out. I'd change the water a few times, and I'd use distilled water (less than $1 for a gallon at the grocery store) so you don't have any hard water residue when you let it dry out. If it's dead, it couldn't hurt to try. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter