Any half marathon runners out there?

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
I understand that the half ends at the MK. I am trying to avoid a long, difficult trip back to my resort. I know I will be tired and just want to get home! Which resort would offer me the easiest and fastest return back to my room? I've heard getting back can be ridiculous- and I just want it to be easy!

The half ends in the parking lot at the Magic Kingdom. You can stay at any resort on Disney property and there will be a bus at the finish to return you to your resort.

If you are interested in walking, the closest resorts to the finish are the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. But I would recommend the bus - we had no problem catching one.

I've done the half 3 times. Definitely Poly. Just across the parking lot basically. And then you are also close to the TTC and have the monorail, for the post-race travel on your sore legs!
Have fun!! Love that race! going back for the marathon in 2006!

I agree. I ran the half marathon in January of this year and had a blast. When the race was over, there were buses lined up with the a sign in the window of what resort it was servicing. You hop on the bus with your resort name on it and off you go. If you are looking for a short short ride on the bus I would stay of course at either the Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridian. But I was staying at the Pop Century resort during the Marathon and the ride was super quick.

CDizney- I thought for sure that traffic would be horrible because of all the runners- but ytou're saying it wasn't taht bad? How long of a ride was it back to your resort?

The traffic after the 1/2 isn't bad at all because of the course layout.

The 1/2 finishes in the MK parking lot, on the West side near the Poly and the Grand Floridian. Runners approaching the MK from the south do come close to the 1/2 Marathon finish, but that is between miles 8 and 9 of the course. You then go through the ticket center, under the monorail, past the Comtemporary, into the MK by Space Mountain, out of the MK behind Splash Mountain, and then back towards the 1/2 marathon finish from the North, past the GF and Poly.

If you finish in around 2 hours, and spend a few minutes after getting a drink and snack after, they will be very few participants left on the course before mile 8 or 9. You can easily slip through the course to a car or bus and get back to a hotel. Remember a broom truck picks up all who cannot maintain a 16 minute per mile pace, and 8 miles times 16 minutes per is 128 minutes. So if you're ready to leave the finish area about 130 minutes after the start there will be very few people on the course.

Reading this it sure sounds complicated (sorry), but it wasn't. We stayed at the BWI, and finished around 2:10. Getting back to the hotel was a breeze. In our case we had a family member pick us up in a car and take us back, but as others have posted, busses are good too.

Also, the course is really nice. Entering EPCOT as dawn was coming up, with classical music piping through the speaker system was pretty special. I cannot wait for January 9, 2005!

Well- this is my very 1st marathon of any kind attempt! I am absolutely sure that I will be at the back of the pack! Hopefully, the traffic still won't be too bad for the slow folks! Thanks for the info- it is very interesting.

Karebear...
You will have a wonderful time! It's a great event. And then fun to walk/hobble/limp around the parks the next couple of days with your finisher's medal on.
And Calcio is right...the course is fun...Epcot in the wee hours of the morning. When we went through, they had the "globe" from Illuminations out in the center of the lagoon and were projecting pics of runners on it. very cool.

Good for you Karebear1.

The start is pretty crowded, but since this is your first try ever, that's not a bad thing. The danger is being so excited at the start that you zoom out well ahead of your target pace, and blow up somewhere between miles 10 through 13. The large crowd will force you to start slowly, probably slower than you'd like, so you save your legs for the end when you'll really need them.

I have my finishers medal hanging my my office, with my numbered bib. This last January 11 wasn't my first 1/2 marathon, but it was my first WDW marathon, and I had a blast. My wife was so excited about my finish and time that she began to talk about doing it herself this coming year. I took away her option by signing her up for the 1/2 M for her birthday in February, so we'll start together and be together at the finish.

Wearing the finisher medal around WDW on Sunday and Monday is very cool as well, and you'll nod in appreciation to all of those who are wearing one as well. A very well earned bling bling.

Good luck with your training. The course is great, and very flat (only 2 hills, the overpass around mile 5 as you cloverleaf around from EPCOT to the main road into the MK, and the underpass by the Contemporary, when you run under the lake passage. Coming into the MK and turning up Main Street is something you'll always remember.

Congratulations on commiting yourself. It's worth it. I'll see you on January 9. You'll recognize me, I'll be wearing running shoes and gear (well maybe you won't). :cool:

Originally posted by karebear1
Well- this is my very 1st marathon of any kind attempt! I am absolutely sure that I will be at the back of the pack! Hopefully, the traffic still won't be too bad for the slow folks! Thanks for the info- it is very interesting.

Just wanted to add my good wishes as well! This will be my third half marathon and it's actually a pretty fun time. If you're not running for time consider bringing a camera and stopping for pics with the characters.

The best part is wearing your medal at the parks afterwards though!

Have fun and happy training!

Kristen :earsgirl:

karebear1 --- you know I'll be with you in the slow pack!! But we WILL do it!!!

BTW - I'm staying at the CBR. I can't wait!!

You all have brought one big grin to my face! Thanks for the words of encouragement- I NEED them! I can feel your enthusiasm as you write about the marathon. And.... I like the BLING BLING! If any of you are interested, there is a rather large group of WISH board folks doing this with me. We are getting together ahead of time, having a WISH meet of sorts, and will have t-shirts etc. WE'd love to have you join us! All told- I'm sure there are over 35 of us! We're all gonna start out together and then party together! So- if you're interested let me know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter