• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any good rumors regarding the River Country area?

ccotis

Mouseketeer
I was just wondering what will happen to the River Country property now that it is officially closed. Has anyone heard any good rumors regarding future plans?

According to a couple of CM's I talked with last month, it is hardly likely RC will ever reopen, especially now that it has been closed for so long. There were numerous reason why it was closed, most of which had to do with it being part of Bay Lake; as a result, for medical and insurance issues it was hard to justify keeping open, and will just as likely bar it from opening again. To reopen it, they would have to dredge the 'ol swimming hole, barrier it from Bay Lake, and re-line and refill it with fresh water. Alot of work for a minor, though fun, waterhole.

Also, since it's not easily accessible unless you're staying at the campground, any major use of the site would require upgrading of roads and parking. I would love to see a Huck Finn/Tom Saywer-type "value" resort, or a Colonial-themed "moderate" resort built around that area, but last time I checked I wasn't on Disney's inner sanctum vision development committee so the possibility of either of those happening is less than me winning the powerball jackpot!

Definitely wish they would do something with the site, however, as it is kind of depressing boating past it between FW and WL and seeing the structures vacant and unused.

-R

yah since its really *out there* its probly gonna remain there but not open...

I really wanted to go there...never have been

We used to go even though it wasn't that convenient. It was easy enough to get to from the Polynesian and the other monorail resorts though.

I've heard that part of the motivation for keeping it closed is the lack of space and that Disney charged less for it than for other waterparks since it was smaller. I'm really disappointed that they haven't used at least a part of it for Fort Wilderness which desperately needs a better pool area.

Although River Country appears as if it's part of Bay Lake, there is actually a wall separating the "River Country" part from Bay Lake. I've seen it drained and I believe if you search hard enough, you'll see pictures of it.

I would think that they've decided to close it, becuase they now have Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzrd Beach, which are far more advanced and larger than River Country.

I do miss it though!!!

It is sad to see it sitting there doing nothing, i remeber when i was there, i use to be afraid to the waterslides :blush: . I do remember hearing something about being the first water park in the world or america or something but i could be mistaken. Well hope disney will use the clever little mind of theirs and do something with it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to post on this thread. I walked away from my computer and my 3 year old posted a reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter