any Ford salespeople out there?

new englander

Earning My Ears
I just bought a used 04 Explorer with under 35K and have until Monday to buy the extended warranty. I do know that dealers make $$ from the sale of it, but is the price negotiable? I was told 1,600 for the basic plan or 2,000 for the premium.

I can't help you with Ford, but I know that when I was poking around in some Toyota forums a few months ago that there were wide differences from dealer to dealer on a Toyota warranty. Try looking at some Ford forums on the internet, you might get lucky!

When I purchased a new F-150 last year I had an in at the dealership. They make a ton of money off of the extended warranty. I purchased an extra 5 years at the employee rate. The cost to me was $400. Now I dont know if used cars are the same as new. You can no doubt negotiate a better price. Hope that helps.

I'm not a sales person but my DH is a tech at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership.

Yes, the price of the warranty is negotiable. Also, check to see what type of warranty you are buying. Is is a Ford ESP or one sold by an independent company? What exactly is covered? What is the deductible? If it's not a Ford ESP, what other dealerships/service repair shops honor the warranty? (I know that there are a lot of them that are not honored at the dealership that DH works at)

As for having to decide by Monday, I'm not so sure that's accurate. I thought that you had until 36,000 miles to purchase a plan but I could be wrong.

Also, there are 4 ESP plans to choose from. I highly suggest that you check out the Ford ESP site and compare the coverage for the different plans. It also says that you can get a quote directly from their site. I would suggest that you do that and compare that to what the dealer wants to charge you.

The Ford site is genuineservice dot com

I'm so glad that we don't have to negotiate at all when it comes to purchasing a car or warranty. That's a perk that we get for DH working for a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. We pay the same price no matter which dealer we go to. Our last two cars were not purchased at the store that DH works at sine they are Fords and they can't sell new Fords at his store.

Best of luck!

Shop around. When I bought my Explorer, I purchased a warranty thru Century Warranty (a division of Capital One.) The premium plan was quite a bit lower than the numbers your dealer is charging you. Plus I got 0% financing for the plan for 18 months. The warranty thru the dealership is usually the worst deal out there.

Shop around. When I bought my Explorer, I purchased a warranty thru Century Warranty (a division of Capital One.) The premium plan was quite a bit lower than the numbers your dealer is charging you. Plus I got 0% financing for the plan for 18 months. The warranty thru the dealership is usually the worst deal out there.

If you decide to purchase a warranty besides a Ford ESP, be sure to check to see where you will be able to take it to be repaired. I know that the dealership that DH works at doesn't honor many after market warranties. Those that they do, can be a pain to work with. Many require an inspector to come out and see the problem before they will authorize the repair.

If you're on vacation when the vehicle breaks down, will you be able to find a repair shop that will honor the warranty?

I just bought a used 04 Explorer with under 35K and have until Monday to buy the extended warranty. I do know that dealers make $$ from the sale of it, but is the price negotiable? I was told 1,600 for the basic plan or 2,000 for the premium.

When we bought our Explorer, we bought the 5 yr 60K plan for about $600, which was 1/2 of what it started at.
Good luck, it was worth it. I would go with the Ford warranty though-- if you don't use it, they may refund your purchase price (at least that's how it worked for us).

Mousefansmom

I sold Fords for 5 yrs. I also own a Ford Expedition that I put the Extended Warraty on. Make sure it is a FORD ESP. If you explorer has bells and whistles buy the premium plan. the othder plans are not wortht he paper they are writtten on. Sure they cover some things but the premium plan is better the the original warranty.It is negotiable. Ford has 2 serivce plan books. One marked Suggested MSRP and the other is cost. I always used the cost book and added a few hundred to it

If you plan on keeping it till it has 100k or more on it then BUY THE WARRANTY.

You will need ball joints and exhaust manifolds if plan on keeping it that long. There may be other things that pop up along the way. The work that I had done on mine more then paid for itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter