• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any feedback yet on the nighttime stuff at AK??? I have a bit....

edk35

DIS Veteran
I have one friend that was there last week and they were NOT impressed with the night safari ride. It was raining so she said maybe that was part of it. They felt sorry for the animals having the jeeps go thru when they have never done that before. They didn't see the new Jungle Book show because of the rain. She was a bit disappointed in the tree too. She expected more I guess.

I have a friend there this week and they went last night. They had nice weather and she said the safari ride was a bust in her opinion. She said the FAKE sunset was glaring and bright. She said that you really couldn't see too many animals. They had a fast pass for 9:30 and they didn't even need it. There was NO wait. My other friend said the same thing about their experience too. NO WAIT. She equated it to the rain the night they went over Memorial weekend. My friend there now saw the Jungle Book show and said it was cool although not quite up to Fantasmic or World of Color at DL standards.

We are going in Oct. and do plan to try the nighttime stuff to see for ourselves but I am curious what others thought that have been already.

Saw the Jungle Book show last week. It was ok, but agree it's nowhere near as good as some of the other Disney shows. Riding Everest at night was a blast though!

I guess I had low expectations when we did the nighttime safari last week because I really enjoyed it. Yes, you couldn't see the animals all that great, but I liked the "fake" moon and it felt like an old-fashioned haunted hayride. When we came around to the lion rock outcropping, they were nowhere to be found and I literally gave myself a thrill of fear thinking they could be out there stalking us as prey. :teeth: Take it for what is - a great nighttime ride out on the faux Serengeti.

Saw the Jungle Book show last week. It was ok, but agree it's nowhere near as good as some of the other Disney shows. Riding Everest at night was a blast though!
They said riding EE at night was fun too. :)

Here now - went to AK on Wednesday night last and last night. Agree with the above, we loved EE in the dark, ROL Jungle book was just ok but I wouldn't bother with it again. The water screens were out of focus at times and difficult to see due to the angles and I think the seating needed to be more "steep?" we are average height and couldn't see well above the heads in front of us. I liked the live entertainment aspect however and look forward to trying again when the real show is revealed.

Safari for us was a complete disappointment - long periods with nothing to see or hear and the fake sunset was imho just awful.

We did enjoy the tree of life and the live entertainment too!

Here now - went to AK on Wednesday night last and last night. Agree with the above, we loved EE in the dark, ROL Jungle book was just ok but I wouldn't bother with it again. The water screens were out of focus at times and difficult to see due to the angles and I think the seating needed to be more "steep?" we are average height and couldn't see well above the heads in front of us. I liked the live entertainment aspect however and look forward to trying again when the real show is revealed.
I'm short and I could barely see the tops of the dancers' heads, other than the few on the barges. I assume children could see nothing. If I did it again I'd try to sit closer to the front - we had been advised by a CM to sit towards the back/top.

We were in AK in the evening on May 27 and 28. I agree with the PP's, sunset safari is a bust. The fake sounds and glaring, fake sunset were awful. To say it's not up to Disney standards is an understatement. Jungle Book was super boring, though the performers did the best they could with what they were given. The Tree of Life was gorgeous. Nomad Lounge and Tiffins are excellent and we all really enjoyed the new performers in Africa (particularly the acrobats). It was fun to go but would never do sunset safari or JB again.

I for one can't wait to see the Jungle Book show, but we are definitely skipping the Night Safari.

We liked the night safari! More animals out than I expected. The lions were up on the rock and awake though in shadows, elephants were walking around, giraffes, zebras, cattle, flamingos, and more. Those were fully visible, other animals were just heard or seen in shadow, warthogs, hippos, and others. We were there Memorial Day weekend, and took the safari AFTER the rain on Sunday night.

Our JB FP+ was cancelled for the 9pm show, and looking at the You Tube video and hearing reports of it, looks like we'll skip that until there is a better show with elements that work properly.

I thought the lighting effects were OK on the safari, again wasn't sure what to expect for lighting, but they have to be a little bright so you can see. The sunset scene was little glaring but it did light up that area.

Boy, does Disney have a mess on their hands right now at AK. They darn well better hope Pandora knocks it out of the park and Rivers of Light gets up and operating 100%.

Yikes, that is discouraging. We are going in October and I've been trying to figure out which night to make it over to AK. At this point I'm not sure we'll bother (unless ROL is up and running, that is).

We saw the JB on Saturday. I had low expectations due to what I had read, but we liked it. Was it like the SW fireworks we saw last night? Not even close. But we still liked it. We did not bother with the safari in the dark.

I'm short and I could barely see the tops of the dancers' heads, other than the few on the barges. I assume children could see nothing. If I did it again I'd try to sit closer to the front - we had been advised by a CM to sit towards the back/top.

Yes !
The CM told us the same thing and my kids were ok as they took turns on the end.
If we go again for rol we will go early and sit closer to the front!

Sad to hear this- we have the Jungle Book dinner package for August. If ROL is done will it change to that?

The nighttime safari was fun to try, but the sunset was lame, and too bright. we were also concerned about the animals. walking around AK at night is beautiful in general and the display at the tree is BANANAs!!! didn't see the Jungle Book, just not all that interested. EE at night was also cool. though my eyes were mostly closed. They close down many of the animal exhibits way before the park closes, so it's just nice to walk around and eat and enjoy the scenery. (just got back yesterday.)

We were actually very impressed with Animal Kingdom at night. To start with I must say that AK is our least favorite park. We do go there each trip as there are certain "must do's" for us at that park but we prefer to spend more time at the other parks.

Our thoughts:
* The park is so beautiful at night with the lighting and such. The park has a completely different feel at night versus the day.
* The crowds seemed a lot lighter even though it was Memorial Day weekend and they had just started all of their nighttime activities. (We were there on 2 separate evenings and it did storm both evenings so that could of affected the crowds)
* Everest at night was amazing!!!!! We love that ride to begin with but it had a completely different feel at night. It is dimly lit so you couldn't see the track that well. With the darkness you could really see the yeti a lot better because the lights on him showed up better with the sunlight not coming through the openings of the mountain.
* We really enjoyed the safari (true you don't see as many animals and we did go after it had rained). Our driver was awesome but I got to agree the fake sunset is very strange and the rest of the lighting throughout the safari made everything so pretty.
* The projection on the Tree of Life was nice...the images were so colorful and vivid.
* We did not watch the Jungle book show (we caught a few minutes while walking around). The colors seem pretty and vibrant but the show itself from what we can tell looked like what it was....thrown together because Rivers of Light got delayed.

Has anyone heard what will be happening at night in December ? Looks like the hours are regular, closing at 7?
Anyone know when the Christmas parade starts?

Has anyone heard what will be happening at night in December ? Looks like the hours are regular, closing at 7?
Anyone know when the Christmas parade starts?

Hours are likely to be extended and there's no parades at animal kingdom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter