Any federal employees facing a furlough?

I think so too. I wasn't replying to most people, just one person who has already had personal experience with this!

That would be me. I'm sorry I wasn't as sympathetic as you wanted me to be. I'm just pointing out the reality of it all. I feel badly for anyone getting cut or losing their job all together but they (government) don't generally change their mind so until we all stand up and really do something (without this getting political),we gotta do what we gotta do whether it means getting another job, cutting out alot of things, etc.

sasywtch, I agree those things will be heard from the general public. No big surprise. Federal employees aren't a popular favorite. I, along with some other posters here, was just surprised to hear it from YOU, one who would seemingly understand.

I didn't "get" that you were playing some sort of devil's advocate game. Your demonstration of no sympathy was successful I guess.:confused3

I don't actually think most here are LOOKING for sympathy, we're trying to discuss the reality of the situation. The focus then changed to having to defend ourselves!

sasywtch, I agree those things will be heard from the general public. No big surprise. Federal employees aren't a popular favorite. I, along with some other posters here, was just surprised to hear it from YOU, one who would seemingly understand.

I didn't "get" that you were playing some sort of devil's advocate game. Your demonstration of no sympathy was successful I guess.:confused3

I don't actually think most here are LOOKING for sympathy, we're trying to discuss the reality of the situation. The focus then changed to having to defend ourselves!

Yep, I think you took my post wrong. To be honest, being furloughed is second nature to us now and we've learned to live with it. We are the government's ping pong ball. I was being honest though, time to buckle up and start cutting where you can. I found that the government, once they find out the public supports them, tend to do it again.

My work is awful and has been for quite sometime. I will admit though, our enforcement side does get the money and staff to ensure public safety. Our side, we had 30 employees, down to 20. I am normally at 4-6 weeks time period, right now I am working things that came in November 1, 2012 : )

I was just called an imbacile (?sp) idiot. We have people who paid their renewals and need it processed by the 1st so they can work but our one cashier (out of 3 that should be there) is working on monies that came in February 6. We all have to take turns answering the main phones one day a week which doesn't sound bad but now that's more time behind in your own work. It's honestly depressing going to work anymore. You're continually yelled at, berated, called names because after all, they pay my salary (according to them).

When we were furloughed 3 days a month, the cafes and stores downtown and those around where I work were very fearful of losing their businesses. They started laying people off, cutting their hours, closed on Fridays. Probably what I meant was, what you are going through now, we went through 5 years and to an extent, still going through. We were hoping since we were a self supporting agency, we would be exempt but we weren't. However, the legislature's office staff didn't get furloughed. Amazing, isn't it? They are state workers. I think they did 1 day finally when the backlash hit.

I can't tell you how many times I was told "you should be glad you still have a job". What was I suppose to say to that? I did say I was glad because I was. I was a single parent with one income and an ex who didn't pay the last few years of child support so it was just me. (due to the child support thread: my ex was in an auto accident, had seizures so no work for 2 years= no child support those 2 years).

Hope that explains it. I'm not being cold, just been there, done that and tired of being the government's ping pong ball.

We are both DOD contractors-and There has been no announcement about what the plan is for most contracts yet-its hard to plan when you dont know what to plan for.

Same here. Our contract is funded through July so we are good until then. Our contract actually expires in December so who know what our last 5 months will be like. :confused3 I honestly don't think it will affect us much at all though (atleast our contract based on what we do.) But it is hard planning with not knowing one way or the other. We're supposed to go to France for 2 weeks this summer. We're waiting to book it until we know more.

Pardon my ignorance, and I don't mean this in a snarky way, at all, :) but I don't understand how a 2.3% cut in the rate of growth, $85 Billion in a $3600 Billion (or $3.6 Trillion) budget can impact that painfully, if the powers that be at each agency looked at other items in the budget to cut, rather than current employees. The federal budget has grown by 40% since the 2007 FY budget, but I don't see how services have increased, especially since the Iraq War is out of the picture. How many of us have seen our own budgets increase by 40% over 6 years?

Pardon my ignorance, and I don't mean this in a snarky way, at all, :) but I don't understand how a 2.3% cut in the rate of growth, $85 Billion in a $3600 Billion (or $3.6 Trillion) budget can impact that painfully, if the powers that be at each agency looked at other items in the budget to cut, rather than current employees. The federal budget has grown by 40% since the 2007 FY budget, but I don't see how services have increased, especially since the Iraq War is out of the picture. How many of us have seen our own budgets increase by 40% over 6 years?

My understanding is that furloughs are required, not something they just have an option to do. It doesn't matter how many other costs they cut.

What you fail to understand is that DC was insulated from the recession. Most others areas already took this hit. The DC economy is all tax money. Other areas have already adjusted. We cannot keep borrowing money to help YE Dc economy when it is crippling the nation.

Many of us have already seen this cut and we did not get to only work 32 hours. We adjusted and so will DC.

And this will be my opening to address the myth that DC was untouched by the recession. First, nationwide, people with college degrees experienced far less hardship and unemployment than folks without degrees. The current national unemployment rate for people with at least a BA is less than 4%. DC has a very well educated workforce, both within and without the federal government. In addition to the federal government, the area is home to many hospitals, universities, NGOs and corporate headquarters.

People without a college degree, especially those working in the service industry, were hit very hard in DC. Tourism slumped and that hurt a lot of the workers in hotels, restaurants and other tourism-related fields. There are many national nonprofits with their headquarters in Metro DC and they were slammed when donations and memberships dropped. I'm an HR Director and I still frequently interview people living in the DC area who were laid off and became part of the long-term unemployed. this morning I interviewed a woman who was laid off in 2010 and had to take a significant pay cut to return to the workforce. She works in the nonprofit sector in membership services. In the ward of the city with the fewest college graduates, unemployment hovered at 25% during the height of the recession and it has not decreased much since then.

DC did not suffer as much as some areas, but please recognize that our area was hardly unscathed. There are still many vacant storefronts downtown and lots of people out of work.

My understanding is that furloughs are required, not something they just have an option to do. It doesn't matter how many other costs they cut.

Anyone who determines the best move is impacting people, rather than "stuff", should be fired, imo. When any of us have to cut our own budget, we might get rid of the restaurant meals, but we don't stop eating. That decision is shameful and uncaring from my POV.

foreUT said:
Pardon my ignorance, and I don't mean this in a snarky way, at all, but I don't understand how a 2.3% cut in the rate of growth, $85 Billion in a $3600 Billion (or $3.6 Trillion) budget can impact that painfully, if the powers that be at each agency looked at other items in the budget to cut, rather than current employees. The federal budget has grown by 40% since the 2007 FY budget, but I don't see how services have increased, especially since the Iraq War is out of the picture. How many of us have seen our own budgets increase by 40% over 6 years?

Pardon the cliche, but the decision to furlough employees instead of cutting unnecessary programs is above most government employees pay grade. Many of our programs are congressionally requested.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Hubby and I are both DoD employees, so we too are looking at a 20% household income drop.

Our son is going to a federal school on base, and I wonder if his education will be reduced to 4 days a week.

When there is so much government waste out there, it infuriates me that the first thing to be affected is people and not special interest programs.

Hubby and I are both DoD employees, so we too are looking at a 20% household income drop.

Our son is going to a federal school on base, and I wonder if his education will be reduced to 4 days a week.

When there is so much government waste out there, it infuriates me that the first thing to be affected is people and not special interest programs.

It is not a 20% paycut for the year but 20% for 22 weeks. That is a real cut of 8.5% and part of that will e recouped in the cost of going to work, cost of daycare, mowing your own lawn rather than hiring a service or other stuff.

I believe this will just be a paid vacation like all furloughs in the past.

Is not a 20% paycut for the year but 20% for 22 weeks. That is a real cut of 8.5% and part of that will e recouped in the cost of going to work, cost of daycare, mowing your own lawn rather than hiring a service or other stuff.

No cost recouping by not going to work one day a week. We live close to the office. We mow our own lawn. School care costs will not decrease, I was told by his school. 20% cut in income for 6 months is significant enough for us to cause concern. Our household is dependent on our two incomes.

Hope you're right that we'll get retro pay, but I doubt it. Let this be a lesson to us to never take our blessings for granted.

Federal worker here as well and there's talk of being furloughed for 1 day a week for 14 to 22 weeks.

Guess we'll know more on Friday.

What gets me is that these individuals who can't come to an agreement were on a 1 week vacation from the 16th until the 24th; to me that is inconcievable! How can they go on vacation and just let us go to sequester?

They should have been working day and night and weekends to come to an agreement.

What gets me is that these individuals who can't come to an agreement were on a 1 week vacation from the 16th until the 24th; to me that is inconcievable! How can they go on vacation and just let us go to sequester?

They should have been working day and night and weekends to come to an agreement.

I say we don't pay THEM until they balance the damn budget.

No cost recouping by not going to work one day a week. We live close to the office. We mow our own lawn. School care costs will not decrease, I was told by his school. 20% cut in income for 6 months is significant enough for us to cause concern. Our household is dependent on our two incomes.

Hope you're right that we'll get retro pay, but I doubt it. Let this be a lesson to us to never take our blessings for granted.

It's not guaranteed and my husband feels strongly that it wont happen this time.

What is crazy is that they pay retro pay, and then they are far behind so they have over time. These furloughs end up costing more money in the end.:sad2:

Everything we're hearing from our HR is no retro pay and no OT to make up for whatever workload piles up. Gonna be ugly in terms of financial hit and the workload. Ugh. Politicians are evil.

Is not a 20% paycut for the year but 20% for 22 weeks. That is a real cut of 8.5% and part of that will e recouped in the cost of going to work, cost of daycare, mowing your own lawn rather than hiring a service or other stuff.

I was actually briefed, several times, that pay will not be granted for the furlough. If the furlough is not due to budget/CR delay, it can't be granted. I actually read the "law" on why they won't be giving back pay. I'll see if I can find it.

Also, as far as daycare, the people that work for me that use daycare have been told that their providers will not be giving them a "part time" break for the one day a week. You pay for your slot the whole week.

I say we don't pay THEM until they balance the damn budget.

But who and where? As noted earlier in the thread, the House has passed a number of budgets in the past 4 years all of which the Senate has tabled and refused to bring to the floor. So, do we still pay House members and not the Senate?

Personally I think we should lock all of them in a giant room - Senate, House and President - with no cameras, computers, phones, food or water until they come out with a plan they can agree to.

And if we lose a couple in the skirmish, we can just call it collateral damage and move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter