• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Experience With This Computer Problem?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I've been having a problem with my desktop computer. I would say it's about 10 years old, it's a system my son purchased in components from Tiger Direct and put together for me. Occasionally I'll change the desktop background to a different picture, and change the screen saver as well.

Last time I did that a few days later I had an issue with it. I had been using the computer, then left the room for awhile so the screen saver kicked in. But when I came back, it was just a blue screen and I couldn't even move the mouse. Turned the computer off and back on, it was fine. Thinking it might have been a screen saver problem I put it back the way it had been. For two weeks it was fine.

A few days ago I came into the room and the screen was hot pink, couldn't use the mouse. Turned if off, back on, it was fine for a bit then later did it again. The screen was aqua and couldn't use the mouse. Why all these colors? I have no idea. So again I turned it off.

I hadn't turned it on in a few days, but did just now as I needed to write a letter and print it off. Worked fine for that. Checked my e-mail, read some, deleted some, it's working fine. Came to the Disboards, it's working fine.

So, it makes me feel like it might not be the computer itself that is breaking, but a screen saver issue? Could it be that? And what would cause it?

I will speak to my son about it, since he's the one who put it together, but thought I would ask here too in case anyone else has ever had this issue with their desktop computer.

I've been having a problem with my desktop computer. I would say it's about 10 years old, it's a system my son purchased in components from Tiger Direct and put together for me. Occasionally I'll change the desktop background to a different picture, and change the screen saver as well.

Last time I did that a few days later I had an issue with it. I had been using the computer, then left the room for awhile so the screen saver kicked in. But when I came back, it was just a blue screen and I couldn't even move the mouse. Turned the computer off and back on, it was fine. Thinking it might have been a screen saver problem I put it back the way it had been. For two weeks it was fine.

A few days ago I came into the room and the screen was hot pink, couldn't use the mouse. Turned if off, back on, it was fine for a bit then later did it again. The screen was aqua and couldn't use the mouse. Why all these colors? I have no idea. So again I turned it off.

I hadn't turned it on in a few days, but did just now as I needed to write a letter and print it off. Worked fine for that. Checked my e-mail, read some, deleted some, it's working fine. Came to the Disboards, it's working fine.

So, it makes me feel like it might not be the computer itself that is breaking, but a screen saver issue? Could it be that? And what would cause it?

I will speak to my son about it, since he's the one who put it together, but thought I would ask here too in case anyone else has ever had this issue with their desktop computer.
Is it just the colors or do you sometimes get error messages too?

If it's jut the colors, it's your monitor. You can get a cheap replacement on Amazon. If that doesn't fix it, Amazon will let you return it for free (Just make sure you buy it from Amazon.com not a seller on Amazon)

If that doesn't fix it, it's cheaper to buy a new cheap computer. I normally monitor Woot.com (owned by amazon) until something in the price range I want pops up. They are hit or miss, but when you find one, it's normally really cheap.

Turn off the background and screen saver (go to just plain screen), and see if that happens again. I had downloaded a background once (from Microsoft even) that caused my computer to lock up every time one particular picture background came up.

Are all the drivers up to date?

10 years is a really long time in the computer world. DH rebuilt my desktop last April, and it's already behind for a couple of the new games coming out. He had to update the BIOS this past weekend; I was having random hard freezes when on Steam games.

I agree with flightless duck. My guess is your video card not your monitor.

Have you recently upgraded to Windows 10?

I don't think so. My son handles all my computer issues. I can turn it on and turn it off and that's about it, ha ha. Well, maybe a little more than that, but nothing really technical.

Is it just the colors or do you sometimes get error messages too?

If it's jut the colors, it's your monitor. You can get a cheap replacement on Amazon. If that doesn't fix it, Amazon will let you return it for free (Just make sure you buy it from Amazon.com not a seller on Amazon)

If that doesn't fix it, it's cheaper to buy a new cheap computer. I normally monitor Woot.com (owned by amazon) until something in the price range I want pops up. They are hit or miss, but when you find one, it's normally really cheap.

Nope, no error message just the colors. If it is the monitor that's much better than the computer itself. :)

Turn off the background and screen saver (go to just plain screen), and see if that happens again. I had downloaded a background once (from Microsoft even) that caused my computer to lock up every time one particular picture background came up.

Are all the drivers up to date?

10 years is a really long time in the computer world. DH rebuilt my desktop last April, and it's already behind for a couple of the new games coming out. He had to update the BIOS this past weekend; I was having random hard freezes when on Steam games.

I have been putting it in the sleep mode today, and so far so good. But then again when I changed the background/screensaver it went two weeks with no issues then started in again so I'll just wait and see what happens.

I'm not sure about the drivers, and yes 10 years is a l-o-n-g time in the computer world, I do agree. My son built one just like it for my Mom, actually he built hers first then mine. We did take hers to Staples several months ago for repair, it was over $200 and they still didn't fix it right. :( Won't go there again.

The only game I play on the computer is Sims3. My laptop couldn't handle it, so that's why my son built this desktop, so I could play Sims. :)

I'll still mention this new problem to him next time he's over and see if he can check things over for me.

I can relate, I have a new graphics card coming tomorrow, as the one my son built my computer with a few years ago, does not play nice with Windows 10. The one we ordered was only $36.99, as I don't need anything high-tech, I don't game or anything.

Talk to your son about the problem, MIGrandma.

Um, thanks for the suggestion...but I already said I was going to do that. Twice. I just wanted to know if others here had similar issues with their computers.

My computer did the same thing when the video card died. Since the computer was over 10 years old, we replaced it with one of those really small desktops. It's about the size of an old CD-ROM drive. I think those are like $200.

I'd say it's the graphics card. Or maybe the logic board? When my screen started displaying random patterns the Apple Store quoted for a new logic board and being for a laptop it was pretty pricey...

The reason I asked if you had upgraded to Windows 10 recently is because there are many, many issues with hardware drivers upgrading properly as well as a problem with lock screens and screen savers not playing well together. If there wasn't a recent upgrade then I agree that it is more than likely a malfunctioning video card, but check the possible Windows 10 upgrade issues first. Many users with older PC's have been forced to do a clean/complete install of Windows 10 instead of simply using the update because of a whole list of issues. Good luck with it and I hope you get it all worked out.

10 years old in computer years is like 200 in Human years. I doubt it would support Windows 10 or even Windows 8. Most likely it is an Windows XP System. Even with an XP system if it failed it would try to come up in Recovery Mode. I too think it is the monitor or adapter. I would advise that you don't put any more money into the computer. Get a new one. You are just throwing good money after bad. Computers are now like TV's when they break you take them to scrap heap and get a new one. Also XP has been off of support for many years now so it is subject to Attacks since it's security patches are no longer down loaded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter