• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any experience with texting on Navigator App

We used it on the magic last week with success. The odd text was delayed but usually fine. We too were able to set up whilst in the terminal before we boarded. App is only available on iOS and android though. No app for Windows phones which was a shame as left one of our group out

None of us (8) got notifications on our iPhones (8) in November which made us give up on the app after the first hour. We never used it after that although it would have been extremely useful. Do you remember which setting to change to enable notifications?

To turn ON notifications for an iPhone you go to SETTINGS ->NOTIFICATIONS -> Disney Cruise-> Allow Notifications.

These have all probably been answered already, but I thought I'd add mine...we just debarked from the Fantasy on 8/1. Husband has an iPhone 6 and I have an iPhone 6+. We had to figure out a little quirk with the notifications (see below) and once we did it worked pretty well for us.
If you run out of the free data package, does the texting still work?
YES. They are separate - the texting is done through the ship's onboard wifi (which you use for anything in the DCL app).
I have read a few people say that they didn't get notifications when a new text comes in.

Can anyone speak to that? Did you get a notification and what did that look like on an iPhone?
It took us a bit to figure this out, but we wouldn't get notifications when we actually closed the app (double-tapping on the home button and swiping up). If we left the app open and then locked our phones, the notifications (texts from each other, warnings about activities we'd marked ahead of time that we wanted to do) would come up on the lock screen of our phones.
I am confused and wonder how the app works if I don't pay for wifi onboard and have cell service turned off. I'm just worried about incurring charges while using the app.
We had our phones in airplane mode and connected to the ship's wifi to use the app for texting and the Navigator - we didn't get any weird charges.
None of us (8) got notifications on our iPhones (8) in November which made us give up on the app after the first hour. We never used it after that although it would have been extremely useful. Do you remember which setting to change to enable notifications?
I had the app set to allow notifications as @Mickey4me! details above. As I said above, the notifications didn't work when I actually closed the app. If you leave the app open the notifications should work and it shouldn't charge you anything or take away from your free wifi.

It took us a bit to figure this out, but we wouldn't get notifications when we actually closed the app (double-tapping on the home button and swiping up). If we left the app open and then locked our phones, the notifications (texts from each other, warnings about activities we'd marked ahead of time that we wanted to do) would come up on the lock screen of our phones

This is great info! In order to make sure you are getting notified when you phone is "locked", when you are on the NOTIFICATIONS screen for the app, make sure you turn on SHOW ON LOCK SCREEN.

Can you have 2 devices set up for one person? My wife likes to read books by the pool on her iPad. Other times just be easier to have iphone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter