Any experience with ortho leaving a wire unfinished?

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
We are pretty new to this, but DD10 had her ortho adjustment this morning. Tonight, after hours, she says a wire is poking her. It is way in the back where the wire attaches. On her right side, there are no loose ends showing. On her left side, I can see the end of the wire on top and bottom, like they didn't finish curling and tucking it away or whatever it is they do.

Naturally it is a Friday evening and I don't know how to get anybody after hours. I have left a message at our local dentist's house. Hopefully we'll hear from him tonight or in the morning but I don't know if he can help.

I tried to bend the top one myself and I can't get it. It's a pretty thick wire.

Anybody been in this position before? What did you do?

Yeah does she have any wax? My ortho (a million years ago) use to give me some to stick on pokey wires until I could get ten fixed.

DD says dry her teeth and the wax might stick better. She also says there are two types of wax, clear and not so clear. The not so clear isn't as invisable in the mouth, but it sticks much much better.

My son's ortho gave us a card with home solutions to problems and for poking wire it says, try to push sticking wire down with an eraser, if not possible, try wax (like pp have said).

I know when I was googling around after one of my son's spacers fell out (on a weekend night), I found so many orthodontists have advice on what to do for common problems on their websites. Maybe try searching around for more tips?

This is very common in my house, almost expected. Young people's teeth move so quickly that the wire cam become too long within a day of placement.

THis happened especially with my DD 9. Our ortho told me that if wax won't stick use sugarless chewing gum until you can get ahold of them.

It is literally a 5 second procedure to snip the end but you need special equipment. I tried to snip it once with fingernail clippers. Don't repeat my mistake cause my DD was not impressed when I cut her cheek instead.

We have the clear wax and we did try drying the area first. It sure is awkward to keep the very back of your mouth dry while sticking it in! Anyway, it is right against her gum and irritating the gum too so we would have to get it beneath too.

I wish we wouldn't have to go back on Monday. It will be about an hours drive each way.

We have the clear wax and we did try drying the area first. It sure is awkward to keep the very back of your mouth dry while sticking it in! Anyway, it is right against her gum and irritating the gum too so we would have to get it beneath too.

I wish we wouldn't have to go back on Monday. It will be about an hours drive each way.

Maybe run up to Walgreens or Rite Aid and try a different kind of wax. DD has gone 3 days with a popped wire using wax.

Get some wire cutters and cut it! I know it sounds crazy, but instead of waiting I would cut it. I have done this with my daughter before. Especially on weekends when you cant get in to the office.

I have cut wires on my DD's braces with fingernail scissors! When it's causing pain and you can't get in to see the ortho, you do what you have to. I probably did that 3 or 4 times. She could never get the wax to stick either.

I had braces as an adult & had some luck using eyebrow tweezers to bend the offending wire "out of the way" until I could get back to my ortho.

I always had my mom (or myself when I got older) cut it or bend it in a way so that it didn't poke me anymore with some small jewelry/crafting pliers and clippers.

What happens if you try calling the orthodontist's office? Do they have contact information on their message for off-hours?

What happens if you try calling the orthodontist's office? Do they have contact information on their message for off-hours?

Tried that last month when a wire just snapped up front and she had 2 inches flopping loose (she only has brackets on a few front teeth). There is no info for after hours. That was a Saturday morning and it so happened the other local dentist is in the office one Saturday morning a month and we caught him.

I may have moved it enough she is doing better now. She also held some sugar free gum over it this evening. She thinks she can manage the weekend. If it is not bothering, maybe we can get to Wednesday afternoon when we are off school and work this week.

So annoying though- we just got them on in November and already two weekend issues.

Get some wire cutters and cut it! I know it sounds crazy, but instead of waiting I would cut it. I have done this with my daughter before. Especially on weekends when you cant get in to the office.

I have cut wires on my DD's braces with fingernail scissors! When it's causing pain and you can't get in to see the ortho, you do what you have to. I probably did that 3 or 4 times. She could never get the wax to stick either.

DS's Ortho gave us instructions that included using wire cutters, fingernail clippers or small scissors to fix the issue. I always used DH's small wire cutters. I did this several times over the course of the 18 months.

Yes, and that is PAINFULL!!!!!!!!
I mean TORTURE painful.

If you can, get in there and snip those wires.
If not, or if you can't snip them close enough, make an almost pea sized ball of the dental-wax, it will be pliable and warmed to your hand.
( No, hard cold wax may not 'stick'..... make it softer, like that gum she has tryed.....)
Dry the area as well as you can, firmly (but gently) apply the ball...

And, yes, this is not that uncommon...
Check every time before leaving the Orthodontist...
And, do not hesitate to stop in whenever needed. :goodvibes
These things can be very painful, so if you cannot remedy the situation at home, I would go tomorrow ASAP.
The Dr. or Asst. can forget to go back and snip them really close.
Or, the teeth probably don't have to shift/adjust too much for that wire to move back enough to begin to stick out back there.

A good Dr. or Asst. will remember to snip, and double check by rubbing over the area gently with their rubber-gloved finger. ;)

Pliers, wire cutters, and wax. At least, that's what I used when I had braces that misbehaved or hurt, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter