Any eBay sellers stop accepting Paypal?

MosMom

<font color=deeppink>Damn you, you wretched clown!
I am considering only accepting money orders. There are too many ways for sellers to be scammed and Paypal fees seem so high. I don't think my NPB rate will go up with MO as I always had quite a few with Paypal only as well.

If I said that it had to be mailed within 3 days, I don't think it would be that bad. It would help keep costs down and make me less at risk for fraud.

I sell kids clothes mainly and a lot of people have had problems with people replacing damaged clothes with new clothes and then photographing the damaged clothes for a refund. Paypal then automatically refunds the money.

Paypal never used to refund for anything but items that never arrived.

Anyway, has anyone else gone back to only accepting money order?

We try to avoid Paypal is well. The fees can get steep, and it annoys us that we don't have the cash after selling to buy things in stores here, it's stuck in the paypal account instead. We've never had any problems with people trying to cheat us though, that's a nasty thing those people do. :sad2:

The last few auctions we did, we accepted Paypal and MO, but we offered free shipping (and free insurance) if the buyer payed with a MO. No one took the deal, they all paid with Paypal. My sister says that she won't even bid on an item that she's interested in if the seller does not have Paypal, she uses it that much. So, we just keep offering Paypal as a payment choice to avoid that, and hope they choose not to pay with it.

I'm curious to see what others have to say too, we havn't really sold much on eBay recently because of this.

I am an infrequent buyer, but a frequent looker. I wont even look at an auction if it only accepts paypal. I don't have it, and after some of the stories here I don't think I want it either. It wouldn't stop me from buying.

Deanna :cat: :bored:

I'm another buyer (haven't screwed up the courage to sell yet) who does NOT have PayPal. After having my debit card number swiped not once, but twice, DH and I are VERY VERY careful with accounts, and money.

PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct, if there is no money you are only covered to a specified amount and only a percentage... I ahve no expereince with damage or different then stated.
PayPal to me.. Does nothing for the buyer or seller BUT it does allow you to accept and use credit cards which is enough to allow a LOT more people to but something they may not have..... so it is needed
But again I do not like it for either..........

I do NOT accept paypal. Years ago, someone paid me with a stolen credit card, and about a year later, it was reported stolen. (I imagine it was more of a relationship ending type of stolen credit card, since it took a year to report)

Anyway, Paypal sided with them, since I couldn't prove I shipped it (I was new to ebay, and wasn't keeping my recipts for a year). I pointed out that I got possitive feedback, that they were happy with the item, but that wasn't proof enough.

Well, I felt that that paypal should cover that loss, not me, the seller, so, I stopped using them. I only accept MO and checks at this point. I do experience people being late sending them to me, since it's inconvient for them. I try to be patient with them.

However, I must admit, when I buy a product, I do prefer the convience of paypal.

Plantlady,

Do you find only accepting MO's limits your sales or do you have no problem?

I am a seller and a buyer and I stopped using paypal! They screwed me! check out paypalwarning dot com. They held onto $2500.00 of my money for 180 days, I just got it back after 6 long months 2 days ago! PAYPAL SUCKS...
now mind you, I've had paypal for over 5 years before this happened and I never had any sort of problem with them. Stay away from paypal!

I've been an eBay buyer and seller for 9 1/2 years and a PayPal user for over 6 years and have never had a problem with PayPal. As a seller, you are protected if you read, understand and follow PayPal's rules for Seller Protection. It's not that hard to do. Most complaints from sellers I have heard usually arise because the seller failed to follow the rules.

PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct,

You are mistaken, read the policy again. There is NO fee for PayPal Buyer Protection (you are confusing this with eBay buyer protection, which does charge a $25.00 fee). As long as you fund your PayPal purchase with a CREDIT CARD, you are fully protected if you do not receive the item from the seller and he/she cannot prove delivery. It doesn't matter if the seller has money in his PayPal account or not (this only matters if you funded your PayPal payment with a PayPal balance or from your bank account), you will get a complete refund, including shipping.

As for the cost of PayPal fees, how much does it cost to drive to the bank to deposit checks? Or fees when some deadbeat bounces a check to you? Just add a small handling charge to every auction to cover this (and no, don't ever state in your auctions that you charge for using PayPal).

As a buyer, I won't even look at auctions where sellers don't accept PayPal. With so many scammers on eBay these days, paying via credit card is the only safe way to go.

We've recently started selling, but I've been buying for a while. A few months ago I bid on an item, w/o noticing they only accepted personal checks & money orders. I wasn't happy with myself for not reading the terms better. Needless to say, it's a mistake I won't repeat. So no, I wouldn't buy from anyone who didn't offer Paypal as an option. I don't really like going the check route, because it slows down the process so much. I definitely wouldn't go through the hassle of getting a money order just to purchase something on eBay, unless it was a really expensive item at a great price. It seems that most people prefer using Paypal. All our buyers so far (about 60) have paid through Paypal. Noone has even asked to pay with anything else. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have good luck with it. :wizard:

I buy and sell on Ebay once in awhile. I usually accepted only Paypal because I don't want to deal with waiting for payment in the mail and then for it to clear before shipping the stuff out. But I don't sell very much, so if the fees aren't worth it I won't bother to sell the item.

As a buyer, I won't even bid on an item if they don't accept paypal (or maybe bidpay). I don't want to wait the time it takes for my personal check to get the seller and then however long it takes to clear before the item even gets shipped, nor do I want to bother to go out and have to get a money order and then mail it. I love the convienence of clicking a button and the money being instantly sent.

MosMom said:
Plantlady,

Do you find only accepting MO's limits your sales or do you have no problem?

I typically have no problem selling my items. I assume that they might of sold for more, if I would accept paypal.

I read some of the stories on PayPalwarning.com :earseek: I've read stories on here that make me nervous, but sheesh! Some of the stories there are horrendous! Craziness! :crazy:

Dh and I had decided the other day that eBay is more of a headache for such little profit. After reading at that site, I feel really confident we made the right decision.

Paypal protects NO ONE BUT PAYPAL!!!!

I tried to pay a vendor with a credit card via Paypal. They wouldn't let me for "My preotection" YEAH RIGHT!

Anthony1971 said:
PayPal does not protect the buyer... Read on about the Buyer protection there is a 25.00 fee and whatever is left the buyer gets providing there is money in the sellers acct, if there is no money you are only covered to a specified amount and only a percentage... I ahve no expereince with damage or different then stated.
PayPal to me.. Does nothing for the buyer or seller BUT it does allow you to accept and use credit cards which is enough to allow a LOT more people to but something they may not have..... so it is needed
But again I do not like it for either..........
I was burned by a seller & Pay-pal didn't help me.. why, just as you said, under $25.. even though it was over $25 with the shipping. I had to call my credit card company to have them credit me & they in turn charged back Pay-Pal. Pay-Pal had the nerve to email me & tell me that if I do that again, they will not allow me to use them anymore!! The seller that burned me also was no longer a seller on ebay so they couldn't help me either..

Well - personally I won't intentionally bid on an auction that only accepts money orders. I will bid on one that accepts a personal check, even if they want to wait a couple of days to make sure the check clears, that is ok with me.

It is just to much of a PITA factor to go out and buy a Money Order and mail it. Personal checks I can just go to my online bill paying service and put one in.

That might be something that you want to consider.

I tried to pay a vendor with a credit card via Paypal. They wouldn't let me for "My preotection" YEAH RIGHT!

You should be thanking PayPal, not complaining. There was obviously a problem with that particular seller and they could have saved you from losing money.

I dont bid on auctions that do not accept paypal. I find that to be very very few auctions.

Let me make sure I understand this all correctly.....if a buyer claims the item was not as described or not received, paypal takes the money from your account and gives it to them? What it there is no money in your account? I have been selling/buying on ebay and using paypal for years with no problems.

I have never had any problems with paypal as a buyer or a seller on ebay, and I've been buying on ebay for 9 years and selling for three.

I would not bid on an auction in which the seller only accepted money orders. I shop online for convenience, and having to go out to the post office or grocery store to buy a money order defeats the purpose.

I would also be distrustful of a seller of high dollar items who only accepted money orders. That is one of the hallmarks of an online sales scam - that the seller only takes money orders or wire transfers.

My opinion only of course, but I do think not offering paypal as an option will hurt your sales.
I pay for almost every online purchase I make with my CC. Just gives me an extra layer of protection, so you'd have to have something I didn't think I could find from another seller AND at a really good price for me to bid and deal with the hassle of sending a MO. I would certainly never do it on a high ticket item.

I don't love paypal either, but it sure is convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter