Any DVC Golfers Out There?

BabsBunny

Mouseketeer
DH and I are taking our first Disney golf trip in early December. We are staying at SSR and will be playing at Lake Buena Vista course on two of our three full days (with the middle day visiting Epcot).

He seems to think the golf courses are probably used mostly by locals. I'm thinking there has to be some DVCer's who take advantage of the courses. Am I right?

When we were there in June, my husband and dad played Magnolia three times. It was only supposed to be once that week but they liked it so much they booked again. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they were rained out for their fourth tee time.

He seems to think the golf courses are probably used mostly by locals. I'm thinking there has to be some DVCer's who take advantage of the courses. Am I right?

Yes, I think you're right (sorry, DH:)) My DH and I take a trip about once a year which involves him golfing virtually every morning while I do a park, then we meet up for lunch around 1:00-1:30, then either do a little touring in the afternoon or if it's hot, we go back to swim and visit the parks in the evening. Usually we plan for one day where we have a late big breakfast, then he golfs in the afternoon while I ride along in the cart with my binoculars and look for wildlife (always including a few alligators). Besides DH, we've met several other DVCers.

We visit 2-4 times a year, and my husband always makes good use of the golf courses. That keeps him interested in going back!

That was my carrot getting Hubby down to DW so often....he golfs every other morning, was better when DW had 99 holes, lost two nice courses over the years. Make sure you get the DVC rate! I told hubby he should've kept track of all the people over the ten years that we've been going, who he golfed with

See? I thought so. :smooth: I just started playing this year, and I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Oh, and thanks. I did get the DVC rate. It was $72 for 18 holes and a cart as opposed to $99 non members.

The Disney courses are heavily occupied by DVC members (who get a discount), others staying at the Disney resorts, and those staying in offsite resorts. I play often as a single when there, except sometimes one of my daughters and son-in-law who also play are there. (I even keep a set of clubs with Owner's Locker.) For any group less than four, they try to match you with others when you make tee times until there are four. As a single, I have often had another DVC member in the foursome created, far more often than having locals, whom you are more likely to find on weekends rather than weekdays.

My fil is an avid golfer. Are the courses that nice?! TIA... M

$79 w/dvc discount. Good to know!!

My fil is an avid golfer. Are the courses that nice?! TIA... M

$79 w/dvc discount. Good to know!!

The actual discount rate varies depending on season and lately it has usually been in the 24% to 28% off range from whatever is being charged guests staying in the Disney hotels. The courses are very nice and kept in excellent condition, although there are many of us who were very disappointed to see both Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge disappear from the Disney courses -- Eagle Pines closed a number of years ago and much of it was converted to areas for construciton of the Four Seasons Resort and Osprey Ridge is now controlled by Four Seasons; many of us considered Osprey the best of all and Eagle second. The 18-hole courses left are Lake Buena Vista, which winds through SSR and OKW, and Palm and Magnolia which are at the Shades of Green. There is also a nine hole, walking only, "executive" course (meaning shorter holes than usual). Oak Trail, which is located in the same area as Palm and Magnolia. Palm and Magnolia were for years the location of an annual PGA tournament in October and then changed to early November. Back in the early 90s Lake Buena Vista was also used for that tournament. The tournament is no more.

Though Disney owns the courses, it has turned over management and control to the Arnold Palmer Golf Management Company, which is neither owned nor controlled by Arnold Palmer (his name is used under license), and decides what discount to provide to DVC members.. That group has done well to keep the courses in top shape and in running the pro shops with merchandise, and the employees are mostly forner Disney employees who worked at the courses before the change in management. However, it made one horrible change which indicates that some idiot MBA "suit" who has never played golf and should be summarily executed is likely making cost cutting decisions. There is no longer a drink and food cart that roams the course selling to golfers while playing; instead you can get drink and food only between the 9th and 10th holes.

The hardest course is Palm with lots of water, narrower fairways, and palm trees that literally eat balls and don't spit them out. The longest course is Magnolia with a number of par 4's well above 400 yards but it has the widest fairways and it also has the signature sixth hole, a par 3, that you see in many ads for Disney Golf, which hole has a Mickey shaped sand trap. The shortest and easiest course of the three is Lake Buena Vista, although none of the three are overly easy or hard. Nevertheless, you should plan to bring many balls because unless your handicap is in the low teens and below you are likely to lose some in the forests and water hazards at any of the three courses. The courses have forward tees that are well forward and thus the courses
can be played by all.

We got around 35% discount and my buddy received, I believe about $15 club rental with the DVC discount in December of 2012.

We got around 35% discount and my buddy received, I believe about $15 club rental with the DVC discount in December of 2012.

The Arnold Palmer Group took over in late 2011. Before then the discount was 35% off the on-site guest rate for after 10. a.m. times and 25% for pre 10 a.m. But you had to also buy an annual golf discount card for about $50. After the Arnold Palmer group took over, it made the discount "up to" 35% off for both before and after 10 a.m. times and did away with the need for the discount card. It was close to a 35% discount until 2013 but then the discounts moved to the range I mentioned above, usually closer to about 25% or even a little less. If you are planning to do two rounds or more, you should always check the price of the Disney two-round pass that can be purchased by anyone staying on site because sometimes that discount has been a little better than playing two rounds with the DVC discount.

Last edited:
I don't play golf as much as I used to but when we joined DVC about 10 years ago we played quite a bit of golf at WDW. Used the discount card and even had a couple of guys golf trips down there. They are great courses and the staff are always top notch. Its a little sad that they don't have as many courses as they used to but the ones they have are still great options. If you are playing LBV on one day and the Magnolia or Palm another remember that they will take your bags over to the next course for you for no charge. At least they used to. Also if you are a DVC member they will have a cab take you from your resort to the course if needed at no charge. At least they did a few years ago. Have fun!

Yes, I think you're right (sorry, DH:)) My DH and I take a trip about once a year which involves him golfing virtually every morning while I do a park, then we meet up for lunch around 1:00-1:30, then either do a little touring in the afternoon or if it's hot, we go back to swim and visit the parks in the evening. Usually we plan for one day where we have a late big breakfast, then he golfs in the afternoon while I ride along in the cart with my binoculars and look for wildlife (always including a few alligators). Besides DH, we've met several other DVCers.

We don't golf (yet...), but I'd like to learn. This sounds like a wonderful and relaxing way to visit WDW! I can definitely envision something like this in our future.

My husband and I are also having a golf trip in early December and we will be at our home resort SSR. We will be celebrating his 50th birthday. Last time we played there we were paired with a father/son that were locals

My husband and two sons golf at least two times each trip. They usually hit both courses. If you are not staying at a resort with a course they give you a free cab ride.

My husband and two sons golf at least two times each trip. They usually hit both courses. If you are not staying at a resort with a course they give you a free cab ride.

Small world! :) I booked LBV course for 12/4 and 12/6. If you see a 50 year old woman landing balls in the water and cursing under her breath, that will be me. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter