• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any downsides to OKW?

I am an owner of 2 contracts at OKW, so I love it!

There seems to be a general consensus of certain things that are considered to be "negative", but keep in mind, that one person's negative is another person's positive.

~No elevators in most buildings
~Off the beaten path a bit(which makes for a more relaxed feel)
~Mediocre full service restaurant
~Bus service slow(though I have never found that to be true)

Disney Doll said:

~Off the beaten path a bit(which makes for a more relaxed feel)
~Mediocre full service restaurant
~Bus service slow(though I have never found that to be true)
I have to agree on the restaurant. I had very poor service, the food wasn't that great, and its pretty expensive. Its really your only choice.

I always post the link to my son Pete's article when this subject comes up. I guess it's not fair this time, as he's mostly summing up the positives, but old habits die hard. :)

http://www.allearsnet.com/ae/issue192.htm

It was written in 2003, so the information on the lack of lifeguards and the renting of water mice (now SeaRaycers) at 12 years old is no longer accurate, but his sentiments still are. He's in WDW right now with four friends, and is staying at the BWV. They're having a great time, but he says it's not "home." And he doesn't mean here in Boston. :)

Dotti

Well my main complaint is being burdened with a bigger room. All those extra steps... :smooth:

Papa - if you are unsure which resort you really want to stay at, I would advise you to wait for a bit, rent points at OKW (which we have stayed at and LOVED) and see if it fits your style. OKW and SSR are both more like condos or townhomes to me where as the other DVC resorts are like hotels. ALL are deluxe. All are fantastic. All are wonderful in quality. BUT - all are different in style as well.

For my family, the spread out feeling of SSR and OKW is king for now. The stairs at OKW are nothing (took us no time to unload) but hubby and I know when we go in December with a new baby and all her "junk", we will be getting help from bell services at SSR even WITH the elevators. (our two sons don't take up much luggage space now that they are no longer babies, but WOW that baby stuff gets cumbersome).

Good luck with your choice. If we had it to do over again, we would still purchase the way we did for our first contract (SSR sight unseen), however, if you are unsure and a certain type of accomidation would really make or break your enjoyment, rent points, explore the other resorts during your stay and then you will have a better idea of where to buy.

Also, as others have recommended - check the resale market!

what I don't like about OKW

no room service

no food court - but PO is within walking/driving distance - really the PO is next door - so you can access to a food court just not at YOUR resort.

I don't like the bus service at any WDW resorts (except the Pop) between 11 am and 2 pm - this is a bad time to try to return to the resorts. So if you are going back for lunch at your resort just be sure to leave at around 10am if you are using the bus service. Yes, I know the bus drivers have to eat too - but I think WDW should tell its guests that limited bus service during those hours - it use to.

I have no idea why Pop bus service was still great.

If I am traveling alone - then yes the studio is not great. But lately I have only traveled with guests - and believe me I HATE the other studios when I travel with guests.

having to take apart that sofa bed, then fold it back up - a big pain!~~~

however more solos trips are in my future - so I might stay at OKW or not - I really like the relaxed atmopshere here! it is so friendly!!!

if you want the bigger rooms more condo vs hotel style - then OKW is definitely for you - if not then you might be happier elsewhere.

on tug there are some people who only stayed at BWV or BCV and come back and hate DVC - they didn't understand that each and every DVC resort is different. they might have loved OKW. they hated the small hotel type rooms.

I HOPE I'm remembering this right-one big disadvantage one member pointed out is that you can't get a beer out of the refrigerator while sitting on the couch (RIP, Richyams).

To Simba's Mom,
Actually Rich said what he liked about BWV was....you can sit on the balcony and reach in and get a beer out of the Fridge. RIP Rich
We have been a member of OKw since 1998. We had looked at HH, VB and BWV. We chose OKW. We don't like hotels. Never had room service in my life. Always have a 1 BR or more. Est breakfast in our ville and been known to eat dinner there. Always have a car. Very seldom eat at Olivia's. Rather drive eleswhere. It is all a personal choice. OKW suits us.
We have also stayed at HH, BCV and BWV using our OKW points.

I suddenly felt compelled to add this: "Many consider OKW to be the only true DVC resort".

Sorry but that was for my honey :earsboy:

Enjoy OKW...
Lisa

Richyams said:
I suddenly felt compelled to add this: "Many consider OKW to be the only true DVC resort".

Sorry but that was for my honey :earsboy:

Enjoy OKW...
Lisa
Thanx for posting, Lisa!
We will never forget Rich's famous one liners... :)

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter