Any deals on Ipod Touch - son's zune died

Jeninindy

<font color=blue>I broke my ankle and got a concus
Good Evening,

My son's zune 8gb died today - 1 week prior to the 2 year warranty from best buy ending. I brought it back today and with the extended warranty, they handed me back the $185 we paid for 2 years ago via a gift card.

I went to go get a new 8gb zune for him, but they only carry a 16gb version zune for $219. Then I saw the 8gb Ipod Touch for $199. He has been asking for a IPOD touch.....so I left without using the gift card.

Now to decide what to replace it with. He has a zune dock that won't be any use to him anymore if we get the IPOD. Also, the great thing about the zune was the $15/mo all the music you can download for 3 players. IPOD you pay per song.

Positives for IPOD - app store with lots of free downloads. More tv shows available to download.

So, decisions decisions. Any deals available or coming up for the IPOD? I haven't found much searching the internet tonight...

I would go for the ipod touch...and he could use the $15 per month allowance to buy music/apps. The apps would be lots of fun to have. I think you can even set up itunes where there is a limit used per month. As long as he understands the rules of not being able to download unlimited amounts, and agrees, then I see that as a solution that will make him happy.

Possibly the ipod dock could be a Christmas present from someone.

You can get an Apple refurb 8b iPod touch for $149. The iPod seems to be what the kids want these days. That is all dd13 is asking for. I just ordered her the 8b iPod touch from Wal-mart for $149, but that was just a one day sale this past weekend. I am actually thinking of selling the Wal-mart one I bought to a friend and buying the refurb one from Apple because I have heard of such good things about Apple refurbs. Mainly the warranty. Apple has a one year warranty whereas Wal-mart only has a 90 day warranty. Anyway, I think I would get the IPod touch for him. I have heard it will be $149 again on Black Friday, but that is just a rumor.

The gift card is for use at Best buy, which is our only problem with buying it elsewhere.

We weren't going to buy a lot of gifts this year due to dh being laid off and me just going back to work after being out on disability, so the cash isn't flowing for buying it elsewhere and using the gift card for other uses, but we may be able to pull that off with a little planning.

Will keep looking for a some type of deal. I won't be able to hit the black friday sales as I am working, but maybe there will be something online...

I don't know anything about Zune. I've only had ipods. 1st the Nano & I just upgraded to a 16gb touch. OMG! I love it. I'm a nursing student & I can get a lot of nursing apps to use in clinicals. I have all sorts of Disney apps (WDW dining is one of my favs) & podcasts. It's really awesome. He can ask for iTunes gift cards from everyone for gifts. There's several deals for them on BF-like get $30 iTunes card for $25. Then he can use them to buy songs/apps, etc. Just my opinion. Mine is refurbished from the Apple Store & they truly stand behind their products. (DS bought the 1st gen touch from Walmart when it 1st came out & it had a dead pixel-called Apple & had a replacement within 2 days then mailed the messed up one to them in the pkg they provided.) I'm sure it would be fine to buy from Best Buy. Apple is really a good company.

Wal-Mart is having the iTouch on Black Friday for $195 and includes a $50 iTunes gift card. The Wal-Mart ad is posted on the black friday sites if you want to go look for it.

Also, Mac Mall is holding their 96 hour Apple sale. It ends tonight. You can get all the iTouch's on sale (2nd and 3rd gen). These are new, not refurb. I've bought from them 2-3 times through the years and always had fast shipping from them. The 2nd generation 8gb is $174.99. Here's their link if you're interested.
http://www.macmall.com/n/macNavLinks-macNavLinks.219

Hope this helps!!

That $15 your paying for the Zune Marketplace let's you 'borrow' songs and are not yours to keep. Purchasing songs from places like Amazon and Walmart (plays on both the Zune and iPod) lets you keep your songs forever, in addition to purchasing from iTunes. We have 3 Zunes (original 30GB) and I own the 1st Generation iPod Touch (32GB). Songs I purchase from Walmart and Amazon can be distributed to all of these devices. I have never put money into the Zune Marketplace, as it's like renting your songs. Just an FYI.

FYI Target's 16GB touch is $295 and coems with a $25 gift card day after Thanksgiving. If he's going to watch videos, movies, etc, the 8GB may not do such a great job.

One thing to note is the new 3rd generation touches 32 gig and up have hardware updates and voice capabilities and an internal speaker(like the iphones)

If you are considering a 16 gig 2nd generation touch for about $80 more you can upgrade to the 32 gig 3rd generation with all the new bells and whistles and double the memory(he will not run out of memory with 32 gigs anytime soon ;) )

In the long run he will be happier with the 32 gig than the 16 gig 2nd generation.

njsweet, can you explain a bit more about the zune marketplace? I got my ds the 16 HD Zune and he asked for the 1 month marketplace gc because it says download all the songs you can for one month. After that month are you saying his zune will be empty? I have an older model ipod and I rarely buy music. I thought everyone used limewire these days.

FYI Target's 16GB touch is $295 and coems with a $25 gift card day after Thanksgiving. If he's going to watch videos, movies, etc, the 8GB may not do such a great job.

16 gig is 2nd generation and you can purchase the 32 gig 3rd generation at Target for $278.67 right now

Best Buy should be coming out with a decent sale soon. We bought our sons Touch there last year right before Christmas and it was a decent price PLUS either a $30 or $50 Best Buy GC as an incentive.

I would go with the Touch. There are tons of free apps out there and if he is anything like my son he will have apps used more often than actual music.

He will love the Ipod Touch! DS got one for his birthday and it is his prized possession.

I would not buy it anywhere other than BestBuy. There warranty is the best, as you just found out. I have heard that the Mac warranty really sucks. Best Buy covers accidental damage, including water damage.

Marsha

He will love the Ipod Touch! DS got one for his birthday and it is his prized possession.

I would not buy it anywhere other than BestBuy. There warranty is the best, as you just found out. I have heard that the Mac warranty really sucks. Best Buy covers accidental damage, including water damage.

Marsha

is that an additional warranty? and how much is it?

njsweet, can you explain a bit more about the zune marketplace? I got my ds the 16 HD Zune and he asked for the 1 month marketplace gc because it says download all the songs you can for one month. After that month are you saying his zune will be empty? I have an older model ipod and I rarely buy music. I thought everyone used limewire these days.

The zune songs are "rentals." If you do not maintain the subscription, the songs will not play after 30 days. They have to re-sync each month. You do get 10 free songs to keep each month with the subscription.

It is a great deal for kids and their ever changing tastes.

Best Buy should be coming out with a decent sale soon. We bought our sons Touch there last year right before Christmas and it was a decent price PLUS either a $30 or $50 Best Buy GC as an incentive.

I would go with the Touch. There are tons of free apps out there and if he is anything like my son he will have apps used more often than actual music.

He already has app's picked out in his mind.....We have Iphones and he has some of his favorites on ours.

Paper toss, some skiing app that dh has, Pocket god (.99) and life (4.99). He has a few other free ones in mind too.....

I hate to have him get the 8gb one to fill it up so quickly.....I have a 10% coupon from best buy that starts on the 20th....

The best I found with Best Buy was their Black Friday ad... it's the 8gb, $199, but you get a $30 gift card. Not bad, not great, but you'll be able to use your GC, and you can probably get a $30 itunes gift card to start his new music (or app) collection. HTH!

You can get an Apple refurb 8b iPod touch for $149. The iPod seems to be what the kids want these days. That is all dd13 is asking for. I just ordered her the 8b iPod touch from Wal-mart for $149, but that was just a one day sale this past weekend. I am actually thinking of selling the Wal-mart one I bought to a friend and buying the refurb one from Apple because I have heard of such good things about Apple refurbs. Mainly the warranty. Apple has a one year warranty whereas Wal-mart only has a 90 day warranty. Anyway, I think I would get the IPod touch for him. I have heard it will be $149 again on Black Friday, but that is just a rumor.

There is no need to sell the Ipod you bought at Wal-Mart because of the warranty. All Ipods come with a one-year warranty from Apple no matter where you purchased it. You just need to register it with Apple's website when you first plug it in.

Just so you know, you do not have to do the Zune Marketplace. You can purchase the songs individually and they are yours to keep forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter