Any Class C owners here?

::EDIT: guess this could apply to any MH owner

I have a question

When running down the highway do you use your motor driven AC or the roof top AC or BOTH?

Our normal camping trips are 3-4 hrs away and I just use the motor AC. but now that we wil be in it for 2 days of full driving, we will need to run the gen while rolling down the road to keep the fridge cold as well TV DVD and games for the kids, not to mention the roof top AC unit.

So I was just wondering if I should use the Motor driven AC if I am already running the GEN for the roof top AC

When I had my MH we just used the A/C in the cab when driven and the roof A/C when stopped

This can also apply to 5ers. :)

Actually, almost all my friends with MHs use the generator and roof air. I have a generator in my front basement of my 5er. If it's hot out, I will stop an hour or so out and fire up the generator and run the AC in the camper so it will be somewhat cooled down when we get there. Last trip to the fort I did that and the guy at the Fort checkin booth kept looking back because he could hear the generator but couldn't figure where it was coming from.

j

When we bought our Class C last summer we were advised by the tech guy who did our walk-through to use the generator-run roof top A/C while on the road. He said it's more efficient and would "help" with gas mileage.

When we bought our Class C last summer we were advised by the tech guy who did our walk-through to use the generator-run roof top A/C while on the road. He said it's more efficient and would "help" with gas mileage.

thats what I was wondering

You will also find that, in most class C's, the AC attached to your engine is sufficient to only cool the driver's cabin, and nowhere near sufficient to cool the rest of the coach.

When we had our C we ran the generator to allow us to run the rooftop AC to keep the coach cool. We will do the same in our A.

We have a Class A and never considered running the gen to use the A/C units. The air in the dash has provided plenty of cold air so there has never been a need. We just drove down in the 90 degree heat and after 2 full days, we never experienced a time where the dash A/C wasn't enough to cool the entire rig. It probably depends on the brand of rig also, we have dual-paned windows and they do help out alot with temperature stability.

Our C had a cab over bed so we hung a clear curtain down to block off the house thus cooling only the cab and that was very efficient. With our A we run the generator since it requires exercise every month anyway and it takes the load off the engine. The dash air is run only for a short time so the system is lubricated.

Even with dual pane windows all around and power shade for windshield, the dash air does nothing more than send cool air to driver and co-pilot.

We use the generator for our roof AC. The dash AC would only cool the driver and passenger so everyone else was hot. When the dash AC broke, my DH removed it and everything associated with running it.

I just bought a 2011 Forest River Solera. It is only 24 .5 feet. It has the Mercedes Diesel. We have drove it just localy and just have run the motor ac. Hell it would freeze you out up front. Plan to try it both ways on the way down to Disney from Louisiana.

We have a class c and just use the dash air conditioner. When we drive, my daughter sits on a sofa right behind us and has never complained.

We use the generator for our roof AC. The dash AC would only cool the driver and passenger so everyone else was hot. When the dash AC broke, my DH removed it and everything associated with running it.

I did the same thing:thumbsup2 Got all that crap outta there so I can see the engine when I open the hood.
TheHeartOfMightyMouse.jpg

i will get up and check to see how the temps are in the back. when it starts to warm up too much we kick in the gen and the front roof a/c.

i also close all my shades. this helps a lot! it also helps while winter traveling.

We didn’t run the house A/C when on the road because I didn’t want to add unnecessary hours and maintains to the generator keeping the resell value up. The cab air kept the HM cold when on the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter