Any chance we'll be cold - mid-Dec Western Caribbean?

peg2001

<font color=FF6600>Can drive DH away with a banana
We took a 4-day Disney cruise to the Bahamas in January 8 years ago and after the first afternoon, it was too cool to swim on board (not that it stopped some, of course). We had to add layers and stay out of the shade to stay warm.

We are finally trying again, mid-Dec this time and on the Western Caribbean itinerary. Any need to pack sweaters, jackets, etc?

Thanks,
Peg

We love cruising in December! You will want to watch the weather for Florida to see what embarkation will be like. It could be cold in port Canaveral...once you are out to sea you will find the Caribbean is beautiful in December. This past year it was mid-upper 80's in Grand Cayman. The water at Boatswain's snorkel lagoon was perfect. If Florida is cold, Castaway Cay can be as well...we were in the water this past Dec at Castaway Cay since it hadn't gotten too cold yet...of course I have cruised in January and February and found people in the water there...too cold for this Floridian, but warm enough for folks up north.

Oh, one more thing, I would pack a pair of long pants and a windbreaker as it can be cool on deck.

We took a 4-day Disney cruise to the Bahamas in January 8 years ago and after the first afternoon, it was too cool to swim on board (not that it stopped some, of course). We had to add layers and stay out of the shade to stay warm.

We are finally trying again, mid-Dec this time and on the Western Caribbean itinerary. Any need to pack sweaters, jackets, etc?

Thanks,
Peg

With all due respect, if you can find someone on here who can predict the weather 5 month's ahead I wouldn't trust them!

You have had cool weather on your last cruise, so I would pack for cool and warm weather.
Watch the weather news closer to the time and then make your packing decisions based upon that, but you can't really pack based on last Decembers weather or TR's!

Ex Techie

True, anything can happen; however, I can tell you that on our four previous 7 night cruises in the second week of December the temperatures got quite hot both on the ship and in port. There was one sail away out of the four where we had to wear jeans and a jacket, but once we woke up the next morning we found that it was warm and balmy on deck. We have also cruised twice in January. On our 1/14 3 night it was very warm but on our 1/11 7 night this past year it was chilly the last half of the cruise. It was the first time I have worn a sweatshirt on CC...but a day at CC with the temp at 65 is better than a day at home in winter with snow on the ground and at work. ;)

We have cruised a few times in December and it has been COLD on 2 of them. Just watch the weather plans for the week you will be there and adjust accordingly. If too cold to swim...there will be other activities available!!!:santa:

Early December last year - we were cool at night on the ship in our verandah or on the decks. But never ever during the day. It was hot.

. . . Any need to pack sweaters, jackets, etc?
I would at least pack sweaters for some of the COLD venues on the ship.

We've cruised in November, and the coldest place was inside the Buena Vista Theatre. Glad we had sweaters.

Woody

If you plan to spend any time at WDW before or after the cruise, you may need those jackets. I was at WDW Dec. 12 and 13, 2010, and it was in the 30s at night!

The Caribbean ports themselves should be warm, but Castaway Cay won't be that much warmer than southern Florida.

if the temperature is 65-70 we consider that warm.

Me too. Guess it's really dependent on what your body considers to be cold!

Inside the ship it's cool all the time. Sweatshirts and sweaters for sure.

Me too. Guess it's really dependent on what your body considers to be cold!

Inside the ship it's cool all the time. Sweatshirts and sweaters for sure.

Yeah it depends on what you are use to... Myself I am from the Northeast so 70's in December is like a summer day... I remember one year we went to Disney World in January and we all had to wear winter coats because it was 40 degrees... some pictures we had winter coats on others we had shorts and tank tops on...because had a couple days in the 70s...

So it just depends on what you find cool...

Always a chance of cooler weather, especially on a Western. The Eastern goes further south, so it should be warmer in 2 of the ports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter