Any canadians buy DCL insurance?

slg

DIS Veteran
I've never purchased it on our last 3 cruises, as I've always felt more comfortable dealing with a Canadian company. I'm considering getting the DCL insurance for our next cruise (the Baltic) as the price seems quite reasonable.

Just wondering if any Canadians ever purchase it, have ever had to make a claim, and what their thoughts were?

Anyone?

No, we have never used DCL's insurance. . We used to use insuremytrip.com, but I believe they no longer offer policies to Canadian citizens, so I use my work insurance.

Be sure to look over DCL's insurance before you buy it. It does not cover any Pre Existing Conditions for those cruising or those family members staying at home since it is not purchased until the final payment is made.

What does pre-existing conditions mean? What if we have something we didn't know about when we booked? Or if a family member dies of a heart-attack due to a weak heart that no one knew about but obviously had?

Are only accidents covered? I'm confused by what that means. Can you explain?

we bought it - actually i wasn't going to when we were going through disney but when we switched to dreams i forgot to tell them no ins so oh well we got it.

not even sure exactly what it covers - i'm guessing it only covers if we have to cancel the cruise not if we get sick while on board and have to be hospitalized or shipped home.

What does pre-existing conditions mean? What if we have something we didn't know about when we booked? Or if a family member dies of a heart-attack due to a weak heart that no one knew about but obviously had?

Are only accidents covered? I'm confused by what that means. Can you explain?

A PEC is something that has been diagnosed by a doctor.

Let's say you booked a cruise on 1/1/08 for 8/1/08. You purchased insurance on 2/1/08 from an outside company, after the PEC coverage by most insurance companies [not DCL's]. on 4/1/08 you are diagnosed with a heart problem. On 7/1/08 your condition worsens and you need to cancel the cruise. This was not diagnosed before you purchased the insurance so it is not a PEC and should be covered.

Let's say the family booked the same dates but purchased DCL's insurance adding it on at the time they booked the cruise 1/1/08. However DCL does not actually purchase the insurance until the final payment date so aproximately 5/15/08 for this example. PECs are anything that are diagnosed within 60 days before the insurance was purchased so since the condition that was diagnosed on 4/1/08 is a PEC since it falls within that 60 days so anything resulting from that condition will NOT be covered by the insurance. This means that if you need to cancel on 7/1/08 due to complications from that condition, you would be out the 50% cancellation penalty for canceling after 45 days PLUS the cost of the insurance that you purchased and that insurance will not be paying you a cent because you are canceling due to a PEC, which they do not cover.

This applies to any family members who will be staying at home and not cruising with you whose health would make you decided to either cancel the cruise or leave the cruise early if something happened to them.

Change the person with the heart problem to one of the adult's fathers. Same dates or purchase and diagnosis on 4/1/08. The Father has a heart attack on 7/30/08 which makes the family cancel their cruise. In the first case with non DCL insurance the claim should be covered. In the case with DCL's insurance, it would not be covered.

This has happened to people who have purchased DCL's insurance and thought that they were covered. That is why we now know about this on the board.

we bought it - actually i wasn't going to when we were going through disney but when we switched to dreams i forgot to tell them no ins so oh well we got it.

not even sure exactly what it covers - i'm guessing it only covers if we have to cancel the cruise not if we get sick while on board and have to be hospitalized or shipped home.

Here is the information for what you are covered for with DCL's insurance. It is a shame that you didn't realize it. You could have cancelled and booked with another company for much less money.

http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0206/en_US/media/myCruise/VacationInsurance.pdf

If the insurance is so lousy, why does DCL keep selling it? It sounds like such a rip-off! I can't believe anyone would purchase it...thank you for the info. I don't think anyone should buy it!

You can purchase your own insurance at a MUCH lower rate so many do that. You can even get PECs covered with the same company DCL uses, Access America, if you book it on your own. We get it for the four of us for a total cost of around $90.00 for a 7 night cruise.

Many companies cover children free when the parent or parents buy a policy. As above, we typically cover our cruise for $100 or under.

Just wondering what insurance companies people would recommend for us canadians. I used DCL for our last cruise however I would like to use a canadian company next time as it may be more reasonable.

For our last cruise with went through RBC - it wasn't cheap - our TA arranged it. I've heard that the DCL coverage is very good and we also need it to cover our flights.

We talked to BCAA (CAA) and there are a few options thru them that we'll be looking at once we book our flights for insuring the trip. We get our medical (TravelGold) through them as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter