Any brainstormers on how to surprise the kids about the trip?

Great point!
That's part of the reason we wanted to surprise them...we didn't want WEEKS of prodding, and "how much longer"
For my kids the surprise was wonderful...but I can definitely appreciate that surprises that huge wouldn't work with all kids!

Linda

LOL BecBennett - you sound like me!! :rotfl:

This too is a VERY good point! What types of kids can ACCEPT a surprise?

I may just have to make it a surprise we let loose in the car if I decide to go through w/ it...

We haven't surprised our kids with Disneyland, but we have surprised them on other trips. Taking them out of school unexpectedly was probably the best part! However, your problem seems to be sustaining the surprise right through the car trip. Seven hours is a long time... Maybe you should tell them you are heading to some interesting midway point...then when you drive past it, tell them the real story. That way they'll get the surprise departure, and another surprise on the way. That would also be a good point to hand out any Disney maps or schedules, and keep them occuppied for the remaining trip. planning the fun they'll have.

Have a great time anyway!

We just got back from our surprise trip on Saturday! :)

Here's what we did:

Weeks back, I found out that my MIL was going to pay for this trip and that it was really happening. We told the kids about the cruise ship portion of the trip. As soon as my DS9 heard we were going to California...he was positive that we were going to DL!!!! I had a VERY long conversation about how we could not afford it...there was just NO WAY...and that I promised that someday, when they are older..we WILL go, but it won't be this trip, so please don't get your hopes up! This was painful to do...but he understood, and accepted it.
Then as the weeks rolled by....we rented the Indiana Jones movies, and watched them as a family...dropped little hints like "WOW.... that is so cool...I think they have a ride like that at DL...would you go on it if you could??"
When I got DD6's inside shoes for school, I got princess ones. I bought them each a journal type notebook to record their trip, DS's was POTC, and DD's was Princesses
Still...they never questioned...
We had a wonderful 4 night cruise. When DS's asked what we were going to do in th U.S., we just told him we weren't sure....we'd just hang out for a few days and see what happens...maybe go shopping or something...lol...just what a 9 year old boy wants to hear!

So...we got off the cruise ship, took our Supershuttle to the BW Anaheim Inn..checked in (at 10:00am...they had a room for us already!!!) and told the kids that we wanted to go for a walk to check out the neighbourhood :)

When we got outside...Liam (DS) said "It smells like a fair out here...are we close to Disneyland??" We told him that yes, we were close...let's just cross the street and see what we can see!!! We walked into the shuttle-y area where you can hear the music piping in. Dad said we should see how close we could get...and try to take a picture of it...Liam said, with great excitement.."Let's take FOUR pictures!!!" (This was the sweetest, most innocent, clueless thing I'd ever heard...and I nearly burst into tears!!!
Dad says "Yeah....FOUR pictures!!!"

We get to the booths where we are to exchange our vouchers for parkhoppers...the kids still haven't grasped it!!! FINALLY, when we're almost up to the window, we tell them....they are flabbergasted!!!! Jumping up and down "Is this REAL????....Are we REALLY GOING????" We reply..."WE're here for three DAYS.....SURPRISE!!!!" Hugs, and tears ensue!!!

IT WAS MAGIC....absolutely unbelievable!!!

I'm sure this wouldn't work on kids who've been to DL before....but it was wonderful for us....I'm crying now at the memory!!!

I hope you have as wonderful a time as we did...and that your surprise is just as amazing!!!

xoxox
pixiedust:

Wow. Wonderful. You have me in tears just reading your story. You are such cool parents!!!

When my own two were quite small (I think 6 & 5), I told them that we were going to the park (it was about 9:30, and it had been raining), so we got ready & took off, and I drove, and I drove. My ds asked me, "Well, how far is this park we're going to?" and I told him it wasn't too far, but that I had heard it was good.

Well, then we got out to Valencia, and the terrain turned brown. Again, my ds commented, "Mom, this doesn't look like a very nice area for a park. Everything's brown!" I just smiled to myself. Soon, my dd shouted, "NICK! Mama's taking us to MAGIC MOUNTAIN!"

Ahhh, what a fun day. :)

That story was great! Tears in my eyes too! My DS8 keeps begging if we can please go to DL for MHT. I just tell him we just don't have the money , it's too close to his brothers B-day and Christmas is coming. They think we are going next year with the tax money..........and we are if I have anything to do with it I want AP's! The extra day off from school helped with planning this , I told them maybe next Friday we can go somewhere fun for lunch! boy if they only knew that fun lunch starts Wed. afternoon!

Awwww! Thanks so much! It was truly wonderful :wizard:
I'll bet I will never be able to surprise them like that again!

I hope your surprises go just as beautifully! It definitely helps to have gullible kids...LOL!

pixiedust:
Linda

These stories are so great! A few made me cry!! :) Now I wish I hadn't told my DD about our trip in Dec. But, now I have great ideas for the next trip, which will now HAVE to be a surprise!

We also just got back from a "surprise" trip for our kids (ages 9 & 4). The kids thought my wife and I were going to Mexico and that they were going to stay with their grandparents. So, packing a suitcase for them didn't raise any questions.

Anyway, we told them that their grandparents were going to meet us at the airport. When we arrived at the airport, we handed the oldest one a letter to read to her little sister that basically said, "We're going to miss you kids while were gone and to be good for their grandparents and that we'll bring them back something special from Mexico." The letter had a P.S. that read, "Actually Mommy & Daddy aren't going to Mexico, all four of us are going to..... Then we handed them an envelope with a piece of paper that said DISNEYLAND with pictures of Mickey, Minney & the castle.

They couldn't believe it. We video recorded the whole thing. This is something I know that they will never forget for the rest of their lives.

Mr. UCLA - your idea was simple yet very effective! I LIKE it!!! ;) Our kids are at similar ages too, this could work...

Good luck with whatever you decide. Make sure to let us know what you ended up doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter