Any animation art collectors here?

lap3

DIS Veteran
I see that pin collecting/trading is really popular here. But I'm just wondering if any of you collect the Disney or Warner Bros. animation artwork? I've got a few WB cels that I've obtained over the years but I don't know much about the Disney stuff and I'd like to get into it. Are there any sought-after cels I should be looking at? I'm looking for limited editions that are usually less than 500 made. Any help would be appreciated.

We have collected Animation art/cels long before we started collecting pins. We mostly have Disney pieces with a few WB's, Beany & Cecil and Bozo.

The best Disney pieces to acquire are original animation cels. These are hard to find and usually very expensive. We are fortunate to have two - both from The Aristocats. One of them is signed by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. Disney TV animation cels are a good bargain. Sometimes you can find Disney art outside of Disney for a better price than through the galleries at WDW.

I generally tell people to collect what they like. There's no way to predict what will be worth money in the future, so buy the pieces to enjoy.

wdw4us2 said:
We have collected Animation art/cels long before we started collecting pins. We mostly have Disney pieces with a few WB's, Beany & Cecil and Bozo.

The best Disney pieces to acquire are original animation cels. These are hard to find and usually very expensive. We are fortunate to have two - both from The Aristocats. One of them is signed by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. Disney TV animation cels are a good bargain. Sometimes you can find Disney art outside of Disney for a better price than through the galleries at WDW.

I generally tell people to collect what they like. There's no way to predict what will be worth money in the future, so buy the pieces to enjoy.
I totally agree with you. When I first started collecting WB cels, my first decision was do I collect them because I'm a fan or for an investment? Well, I do it more because I'm a fan but also many of the scenes brings back so many memories of the cartoons I watched when I was kid. Some of my most notable pieces include the Collector's Guild Pete Puma "Whole lotta lumps". To this day, I still imitate his voice! My most prized posession which I had no idea it would be that good was the Duck Dodgers Finale scene signed by Chuck Jones himself. Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, and Marvin the Martian hanging on the what's left of the planet always stirs up conversations when guests come over. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll do a search and see if any cels call out to me. Can you recommend any websites for artwork or for art shows in the LA area?

You might want to look at www.philsears.com

He has some nice stuff and he is a reputable dealer. He just listed some Disney drawings from the 1930's & 1940's. There are also some original pieces from Snow White, but they're rather expensive.

Good luck!

I collect cells as well and was doing it before pins. Have a few Pooh, Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia. Check out the Art of Disney Stores in WDW.

daber said:
Check out the Art of Disney Stores in WDW.
Thanks! I'll do that while I'm there. Unfortunately, I have to wait a few months before that comes around...

I work for an animation art co (not as a salesperson). Their website is www.americanroyalarts.com. They carry Warner Bros, Disney, Popeye, Garfield, Fox, etc. They are having a Wizard of Oz gallery show this weekend at their gallery on Las Olas Blvd in Ft Lauderdale, FL. They carry everything from sericels & giclees to original vintage art. I don't personally have a large collection, but I do love a lot of the pieces we sell. Have fun collecting!

That's a pretty good website. Maybe I've been out of the animation art cel game for a while but is giclees a new type of reproduction art? I've never heard of this before...

I've been collecting Disney animation drawings for a number of years. The current collection:

Briar Rose, signed by Marc Davis (Sleeping Beauty)
Lady (Lady and the Tramp)
Alice (Alice in Wonderland)
Kuzco in llama drag (The Emperor's New Groove)
Springtime fairy (Fantasia 2000)
Girl Rabbit (Robin Hood)

All images are beautiful full figure drawings...I am currently looking for full figure Ariel (Little Mermaid), Cinderella and Tinkerbell.

I just joined these forums and if someone could explain how to post images (if at all possible), I would be happy to share.

lap3 said:
That's a pretty good website. Maybe I've been out of the animation art cel game for a while but is giclees a new type of reproduction art? I've never heard of this before...

Glicee is basically French for high quality ink jet printing. Take a look at:

http://www.roseedin.com/Giclee's/glicee's.htm

for a full description.

I've got two that I inherited. Both Fantasia, one Sorceror Mickey on the Mt. and the other is the mushrooms. My aunt bought them in a gallery years ago. They even have the original background pics. Such a treasure!

I have several cels too, all Disney. I so most of my shopping at The Art of disney in DTD. (I also have WDCC).

The best advice you can get is collect what you like. As a doll collector, I have been doing that for over 10 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter