Any advice or Car Hire (Rental)

acr4bbe

DIS Veteran
Travelling to Orlando again in May 2015 & in the past have always used Dollar to book and pre-pay for a hire car on the UK site in GBP. Whilst it has been a 'good' value for money option in the past I must admit the overall Dollar experience has been declined recently. Can anybody recommend alternatives? :)

Travelling to Orlando again in May 2015 & in the past have always used Dollar to book and pre-pay for a hire car on the UK site in GBP. Whilst it has been a 'good' value for money option in the past I must admit the overall Dollar experience has been declined recently. Can anybody recommend alternatives? :)
used alamo last trip. Seemed ok

All very much the same, go with cheapest.

Used hertz past few times just due to price.

I agree, there isn't a lot to choose between them. I have found Dollars fleet not quite as good on recent trips so not my first choice anymore.

Hertz probably beat them all for service and quality but generally more expensive unless you find a deal (I did for next month)

Only book so far in advance if you get a really good deal or you can cancel with little or no fee, I find best prices are 1-3 months before travel.

Best way to improve a rental is bypass the desk
Alamo Savetime
Hertz Gold#1
Dollar Express
They all do it, fill in details online and go straight to the garage on arrival, far easier than lining up at the desk to get the hardsell.

We have been with Alamo the past three trips and have been more than happy :-)

I have always used Alamo. But you need to check daily for months to wait for the good price. Always had good service. Never had hard sell at the desk. Never done any kind of early on line check in. Checking daily means you know what good is when you see it. Clear your browsing history every day :)

, far easier than lining up at the desk to get the hardsell.

:mad: not the bit I'm looking forward to, do they really pester you yo upgrade etc? I already upgraded to platinum to get better insurance and the kids car seats, so will they pester to go to a bigger car?

I'm booked through virgin, who do they use is it Alamo?

Cheers :)

:mad: not the bit I'm looking forward to, do they really pester you yo upgrade etc? I already upgraded to platinum to get better insurance and the kids car seats, so will they pester to go to a bigger car? I'm booked through virgin, who do they use is it Alamo? Cheers :)

Virgin is alamo, but its all a bitnof a con with virgin. As i wanted insurance it was cheaper to book direct and ignore my virgin car.

Dont worry if you just say your not interested in any upgrades etc at the start they get the picture

:mad: not the bit I'm looking forward to, do they really pester you yo upgrade etc? I already upgraded to platinum to get better insurance and the kids car seats, so will they pester to go to a bigger car?

I'm booked through virgin, who do they use is it Alamo?

Cheers :)

Platinum is no better insurance, its the same as all inclusive but you get a tank of gas and extra drivers included, its all you need but there are other things like:
Personal liability insurance (covered in your travel insurance)
Sat nav rental,
Roadside assist (you have roadside breakdown but this is for extras like locking you keys in theccar or losing them, or leaving you lights on night etc)
And finally upgrades, if you do discuss an upgrade never take the first offer and make sure you understand the price, it could be per day rather than per week or total price, it could be plus tax etc.

Its all down to the agent you get, some will just process you and get you on your way, others will try sell you everything. MCO I have usually found a quick "no thank you " is enough, other airports like LAX, SFB & BOS I have found a nightmare, right down to them insulting me because I have not bought any extras.

They could try anything form saying the size car you have chosen is not up to UK safety standards, you really need to upgrade for the safety of your family, or no way will those suitcases fit in the car you have chosen. In Boston they were showing people a pic of a Fiat 500 saying you really need to get something bigger, what if you get this? I doubt they had a Fiat 500 on the Lot.

Rented over 50 cars over there now and not upgraded once, just say no.

Finally when you have your contract check the last line says: expected fees on return $0. So many times on forums I read the agent has added something on the sly, its far easier to get it removed before you leave the airport.

Last few times we have gone, we booked via the alamo/brits website, as you got I think 10% off there normal prices and a free additional driver, which is something we need in my family. Might be worth a check for you. Plus never had a hard sell, but as others have said join their pre registered sites and you don't even have to bother with the desk people.

Not sure if this is relevant to you but...

If staying at a Disney resort and you only want a car for a short term (to visit Universal, Busch, outlet shopping) you can rent from Alamo on Disney (near transport centre at MK). They send a minibus to your resort to collect you and will take you back after the rental too.

We did this last trip, used Magical Express to get us to Saratoga, used Disney busses to the parks, rented a car for five days for Busch/SeaWorld/Universal/shopping days and then used Disney busses and magical express for the last few days. Worked out pretty cheap to get the car for those five days only.

just say no.

Cheers for that Wayne, I intend to say no definately just some people don't take no for an answer and keep going on and on lol

Good tip about the fee on return I shall be going through contract very finely and make sure there's nothing there :)

Just wondered if there was a site like 'gocompare', that deals with car hire on just one site instead of trailing through them all. :scratchin

You can compare prices on net flights and us rent a car

You can compare prices on net flights and us rent a car

Although they are a search engine they are only one agent selling multiple rental companies. The 3 below search many agents so should get better results:thumbsup2

Just wondered if there was a site like 'gocompare', that deals with car hire on just one site instead of trailing through them all. :scratchin

http://www.quidco.com/carrentals-co-uk/ (7% Quidco)
https://www.kayak.co.uk/cars
http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-car-hire/

Also check for any cashback offers http://www.quidco.com/car-hire/

Didn't know that about net flights. Thanks for the heads up Wayne, gonna have a look :)

Thanks for the advice everybody, some ok deals with some of the rental providers at the moment but going to be patient and monitor between now and 3 months out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter