ANY advice for getting past gatekeepers to someone up the chain?

Fargoman2

DIS Veteran
Ok, if you read my other thread about "mulligan" for the DCP screening interview, you can please disregard the following. But I am looking for ANY information/ideas someone might have to help my daughter get past the gate keepers at Disney to talk to someone with a bit more authority to review her unusual situation related to her DCP application. (No this is not just another sob story)

In a nutshell, my daughter is a DCP alumnus in more than good standing (perfect record = 0 points) and several written commendations for her work in the first program. That was last year; she graduates this spring and so she recently applied again only to be weirdly rejected by the very phone screen she passed a year ago. Yes, she knew to be consistent in her answers and avoid a bunch of "neutral" responses; in effect, she completed the web screen in precisely the same manner she did her first one--so it is more than puzzling and frustrating. Something seems very strange here.

So she called the Disney CP number and got the predictable and understandable company script about "computer scan is done by an outside agency and the results are the results, etc., etc." (Look I get this as I'm sure there is no end to the appeals they get--so I'm not faulting AT ALL those responsible for citing the company response) But the real purpose of the WEb screen is to weed out those who don't fit or qualify. And clearly on this occasion, this is not the case with this applicant.

She has ALREADY demonstrated her recognized competence, character and commitment to Disney; it seems a shame to have WHATEVER transpired on that Web screen kill her Disney dream. So does anyone know of any way to get beyond the gate keeper to someone who might be willing to take another look at this situation and the true worthiness of this candidate? So sad...thanks for anything you might offer.

Try going around DCP and talk directly to WDW casting? I don't know what else you could possibly do. If anything you might get an answer :confused3

Casting center phone number
(407) 828-1000

Nothing strange at all.

Just because someone is a former cast member doesn't mean that they will get offered to come back. Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, but that is how it is.

If you intervene, you wouldn't be doing her any favors. She's an adult. If she wishes to pursue this, she needs to be the one that does it. However, their process is their process and I seriously doubt they are going to make any exceptions... because if you do it for one, then...

Yeah, as much as I feel like your daughter would be a model cast member, Disney has this system and it's how they do it.

Perhaps the next program?

Unfortunately, one time acceptance doesn't guarantee perpetual acceptance. Each year it becomes more and more competitive, their needs, basis for screenings, and the rest of it change and adapt.

Seems like this year, unfortunately, isn't the year for your daughter. It's OK, just come back and try it again next year. From what I understand of the college program, this sort of rejection despite prior acceptance isn't really the exception, it's more and more common.

Calling and getting around GK, be it you or your daughter doing it, trust me... It'll reflect more negatively than positively on her. As with any employer, when somebody is rejected from a screening and they try to come back with how it was a mistake and they should be accepted because they'd be a great employee, it shows a level of entitlement and difficulty with authoritative structure that makes an employee less desirable.

To the previous poster...I don't believe REQUESTING a review of a computer screen reflects a lack of respect for authority or exudes a sense of entitlement. It is simply a sincere effort to make certain that one's dreams were not thwarted by a technology issue. Again, the circumstances are very odd. I know that DCP alums get rejected--but only after their PHONE interview. I have NEVER heard of a DCP alum not getting past a Web screen the've already passed. The Web screen is simply designed to weed out those who do not have BASIC qualifications, so again the result is odd.

Given that this is her last chance, I just don't see how a respectful inquiry on her part is so awful. And, yes, SHE would be following up on her own. I know you are all thinking I'm trying to drive circumstances for her; no, I was simply trying to use the community I'm familiar with to see if they had a contact option. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry for the trouble everyone.

To the previous poster...I don't believe REQUESTING a review of a computer screen reflects a lack of respect for authority or exudes a sense of entitlement. It is simply a sincere effort to make certain that one's dreams were not thwarted by a technology issue.

I'm not trying to be rude, only stating that it often reflects badly on applicants when they're told "no" and that "no" isn't taken as that, but instead taken as a "of course I should be accepted, there's obviously some sort of mistake."

I work processing job applications for job coaching and the like and our company has a policy, as many others we work in conjunction with, that if somebody is rejected due to our screening, we red flag that file as a potentially unhireable candidate due to their conduct after receiving a rejection notice. It means, if they apply again, later, or elsewhere, they have something of an uphill battle in the process. Like it or not, contesting a decision does often have negative results because, as I said above, it tends to highlight an employee who has problem with authorative decision.

Disney does deal with magic as a product, but it has little sway in their hiring process. Assuming a technological issue prevented her hire and stating that it's an issue of preserving dreams... I don't know. I just think the "it's my dream" thing they get a lot and are throughly immune, if not jaded to, and the assumption that the issue was technology and not Disney's changing workforce demands... I'm sorry, but if I got that call, even here (and believe it or not, I do get it sometimes), I'd think that it's somebody who has a hard time with rejection or feels experience and what is assumed as a satisfactory job performance justifies feeling like they should be taken into the program, and write it off as little else than another person who isn't used to hearing "no." Especially if the parent called. If a parent called, which I'd view about as negatively as I could when processing an application that was rejected.

Again, the circumstances are very odd. I know that DCP alums get rejected--but only after their PHONE interview. I have NEVER heard of a DCP alum not getting past a Web screen the've already passed. The Web screen is simply designed to weed out those who do not have BASIC qualifications, so again the result is odd.

The web screen screens more than basic qualifications. It sets up the basic framework to weed out people who may not be a good fit for any reason. She didn't make it through that process. Since the watermarks for screening are known only to Disney, it could be for a plethora of legitimate reasons that you don't see or are not aware of. Demographics, job availability, availability of the hire, experience/degree of the prospective hire, even something as basic as what her needs for housing are (if that's asked). There's a lot that goes into it.

And I'd say that even if you don't know of an alum who hasn't gotten through that point after previous employment, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen with regularity. Given the scope of the people who are accepted, never mind apply, it'd be impossible based off of personal anecdotes to isolate how common the occurrence is or isn't.

Given that this is her last chance, I just don't see how a respectful inquiry on her part is so awful. And, yes, SHE would be following up on her own. I know you are all thinking I'm trying to drive circumstances for her; no, I was simply trying to use the community I'm familiar with to see if they had a contact option. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry for the trouble everyone.

Which is fine, but when the feedback from the community is that it's not generally a good idea and here's the reason's why, just take that at face value. I get that you're upset and she is too, and this is her last year, but that doesn't mean that when people say it could backfire that you should be upset at us or assume we've got bad intentions. I've been through the job development courses that Disney makes available to employers and I know how strict they are with their screening and how much they are sticklers for people who follow the prescient set by their systems. Organization that sells fun, dreams, and magic, yes... But internally? Very much the cold corporate entity that has no patience for hand-holding or people's employment dreams.

This is why I'm glad my daughter went seasonal after her program ended in January. She doesn't have to apply for another college program and possibly not be accepted. She went down last week during her spring break and worked four days, she put in her availability to work for the summer, and she wants to move down after she graduates in December and apply for part time or full time. She is lucky in that she has two friends who share an apartment and she will live with them this summer.

Sorry to hear this for your daughter.

My advice: if she really has her heart set on another program, why not register for some post grad courses and reapply? It's not necessarily a closed situation.

I know a lot of great people, some alumni, who have been rejected over and over for no real reason. One alumni that I know of was rejected at the WBI this year (so it does happen) and most of the others were no longer in consideration after the phone call. From what I/we know, there isn't really a method to it, and not all alumni get accepted for another program. I doubt Disney will have an answer for you other than to try again next year.

Could she go Part Time instead? I feel as though it's probably easier to go PT than a CP.

I'm not trying to be rude, only stating that it often reflects badly on applicants when they're told "no" and that "no" isn't taken as that, but instead taken as a "of course I should be accepted, there's obviously some sort of mistake."

I work processing job applications for job coaching and the like and our company has a policy, as many others we work in conjunction with, that if somebody is rejected due to our screening, we red flag that file as a potentially unhireable candidate due to their conduct after receiving a rejection notice. It means, if they apply again, later, or elsewhere, they have something of an uphill battle in the process. Like it or not, contesting a decision does often have negative results because, as I said above, it tends to highlight an employee who has problem with authorative decision.

Disney does deal with magic as a product, but it has little sway in their hiring process. Assuming a technological issue prevented her hire and stating that it's an issue of preserving dreams... I don't know. I just think the "it's my dream" thing they get a lot and are throughly immune, if not jaded to, and the assumption that the issue was technology and not Disney's changing workforce demands... I'm sorry, but if I got that call, even here (and believe it or not, I do get it sometimes), I'd think that it's somebody who has a hard time with rejection or feels experience and what is assumed as a satisfactory job performance justifies feeling like they should be taken into the program, and write it off as little else than another person who isn't used to hearing "no." Especially if the parent called. If a parent called, which I'd view about as negatively as I could when processing an application that was rejected.

The web screen screens more than basic qualifications. It sets up the basic framework to weed out people who may not be a good fit for any reason. She didn't make it through that process. Since the watermarks for screening are known only to Disney, it could be for a plethora of legitimate reasons that you don't see or are not aware of. Demographics, job availability, availability of the hire, experience/degree of the prospective hire, even something as basic as what her needs for housing are (if that's asked). There's a lot that goes into it.

And I'd say that even if you don't know of an alum who hasn't gotten through that point after previous employment, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen with regularity. Given the scope of the people who are accepted, never mind apply, it'd be impossible based off of personal anecdotes to isolate how common the occurrence is or isn't.

Which is fine, but when the feedback from the community is that it's not generally a good idea and here's the reason's why, just take that at face value. I get that you're upset and she is too, and this is her last year, but that doesn't mean that when people say it could backfire that you should be upset at us or assume we've got bad intentions. I've been through the job development courses that Disney makes available to employers and I know how strict they are with their screening and how much they are sticklers for people who follow the prescient set by their systems. Organization that sells fun, dreams, and magic, yes... But internally? Very much the cold corporate entity that has no patience for hand-holding or people's employment dreams.

All of the points you make are very valid and well reasoned. There is no beef here with Disney's policies and practices; nor is there any assumption on this end that they've done anything wrong or that Disney owes her anything. Yes, the result could very well indeed just be the result; in fact, my assumption is that computer glitches are rare. BUT clerical/technical mistakes DO happen. So I still don't see why you are a bad person if you politely and respectfully inquire about the result.

All of the points you make are very valid and well reasoned. There is no beef here with Disney's policies and practices; nor is there any assumption on this end that they've done anything wrong or that Disney owes her anything. Yes, the result could very well indeed just be the result; in fact, my assumption is that computer glitches are rare. BUT clerical/technical mistakes DO happen. So I still don't see why you are a bad person if you politely and respectfully inquire about the result.

Politely and respectfully inquiring does not make you a bad person. But she already did that, and they gave her the answer. It may not be an answer that she, or you likes, but it's Disney's answer.

Continuing to push when the question has been asked and answered doesn't make you a bad person, but it does give the appearance that you think she is owed something.

JMO, YMMV.

OP, it has nothing to do with you being a bad person or not to ask for a review. And I completely understand your view on this.

However, the odds of getting a review are slim to none. With all the people that are rejected, Disney probably gets this same request thousands of times and I'm sure they've heard every reason for why that one person deserves a review.

I agree that pushing the subject is asking for a red flag on her chart. There is no upside to it. Disney isn't going to come back and say, "You're right, we were wrong, here's your place in the program."

Ok, Ok you have all spoken clearly and I can now admit it-- I am 100 percent wrong on this matter. Defeat conceded.

Obviously, she isn't the first and won't be the last to have her Disney dream shattered. You have to admit it's a VERY TOUGH pill to swallow since this is her LAST CHANCE, and especially since she had a stellar track record in her first CP. Seems like that ought to carry FAR MORE WEIGHT than a WBI.

We all get it...life is tough, move on. End of discussion; no more griping from me on the matter.

Does your daughter know anyone who is currently in the program that could ask around for her? I don't think it would hurt to ask a supervisor or someone with the program there how you can inquire about the results of the WBI. My neice is down there right now. I might can ask her for a name of someone to see if you can send an email to them directly. You may get the same answer, but at least you can say that you exhausted all efforts.

Good Luck

To the previous poster...I don't believe REQUESTING a review of a computer screen reflects a lack of respect for authority or exudes a sense of entitlement. It is simply a sincere effort to make certain that one's dreams were not thwarted by a technology issue. Again, the circumstances are very odd. I know that DCP alums get rejected--but only after their PHONE interview. I have NEVER heard of a DCP alum not getting past a Web screen the've already passed. The Web screen is simply designed to weed out those who do not have BASIC qualifications, so again the result is odd.

Quite a few people who have done CPs with my family member (she's done 2), have not gotten past the web interview on their repeat attempt. In fact, to be precise, only ONE has gotten past the web interview and they all say they answered the questions exactly as they did last time.

It may be that they have changed their formulary for answers. It may be that they have decreased the number of returnees they want. Or both.

I will also say that I have witnessed the Disney dream being shattered. After my family member's first CP, they still had the dream that they only place they ever wanted to work was at WDW. After the second one with an extraordinarily "challenging" manager (who admitted at the end that he had not treated them appropriately or fairly), that dream was shattered by getting smacked with the reality Disney is just like any another huge corporation with good and bad work situations. So the dream is gone, but they also have a much more realistic idea of what work life is going to be like, which is a good thing, IMO. And while it's painful to have a dream be shattered, when that dream is unrealistic, it's always better to have clear sight with which to make major life decisions.

Ok, Ok you have all spoken clearly and I can now admit it-- I am 100 percent wrong on this matter. Defeat conceded.

Obviously, she isn't the first and won't be the last to have her Disney dream shattered. You have to admit it's a VERY TOUGH pill to swallow since this is her LAST CHANCE, and especially since she had a stellar track record in her first CP. Seems like that ought to carry FAR MORE WEIGHT than a WBI.

We all get it...life is tough, move on. End of discussion; no more griping from me on the matter.

Dear Mom: this is a very tough crowd, who hide behind screen names.

Question: What did she do before and what role is she requesting now?

I believe that has alot to do with it. Some roles have limited spots while some are more open.

BTW: When I stayed at CBR, I could get green tea with a refillable mug, At ASMo, no green tea, same price. Boy, did those posters give it to me!

(QUOTE=LZMom;50981088]Does your daughter know anyone who is currently in the program that could ask around for her? I don't think it would hurt to ask a supervisor or someone with the program there how you can inquire about the results of the WBI. My neice is down there right now. I might can ask her for a name of someone to see if you can send an email to them directly. You may get the same answer, but at least you can say that you exhausted all efforts.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Thanks LZMom for your supportive, encouraging post. But through extensive research and feedback I have learned that the absolute best thing to do is not to question the process or the results--it will only make things worse.

Dear Mom: this is a very tough crowd, who hide behind screen names.

Question: What did she do before and what role is she requesting now?
She did TSM, but I'm not sure exactly what she requested this time around--I believe it was wide ranging like last time...

I believe that has alot to do with it. Some roles have limited spots while some are more open.

BTW: When I stayed at CBR, I could get green tea with a refillable mug, At ASMo, no green tea, same price. Boy, did those posters give it to me!

Love it...I do believe that the great majority of folks on these boards are a very helpful, empathetic and encouraging people. There are a few, however, who relish any opportunity to lecture and put you in your place.

Hello,
My daughter had a situation a bit like your daughter's...some differences...she was in the CareerStart program (the high school version of the College program) and extended, so worked for the company for 9 months. She had a very good record, several Four Keys cards, her managers really liked how she performed with her Attractions manager and her Front Desk manager telling her she should really consider a career with Disney. She came home, started college, and re-applied for a Fall CP. She did make it to the phone interviews right away, was placed "on hold" until the end of the hiring time frame, then was told she hadn't made it. She was very sad, but moved on. Then, a few months later...I think late July, she got an email that offered a position in the Fall program , but it had obviously gone out to a lot of candidates, and was "first-come, first-serve". She replied as soon as she saw the email (within 20 minutes because she was at work when it came in), had to wait until the end of the week time frame they gave, only to be told she hadn't made it again. She did send an email to Casting this time, asking how this was possible. They told her they had got enough people within minutes. So, it really does depend on what role you want, what roles they need to fill, how much housing they have available, if CPs decide to extend, and things like that. She had been told by others that sometimes they aren't looking for people who have already done a program and, also, that the college program gets so, so, so many applicants for the relatively small amount of roles available for a program.

So sorry for your daughter! I understand how sad they can get. But, there are seasonal and regular CM jobs, and they seem to have lots of those all the time. My daughter works there now. She started with a part-time role at DAK last June and was promoted to full-time in December. She just found out she will be a CM on the Opening Team for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! She feels like the hassle has all been worth it up to now because she is so honored to have been picked for this new role! If your daughter wants Disney for a career, things aren't bleak just because they didn't choose her for a second program! It hurts, but better things will come along! Good luck to you both!

It could be something as easy as she misclicked an answer. Disney may also change views on certain subjects of what they are looking for , as far as hiring prospective employees within that year. I worked for disney for awhile and within 3 months they changed their views on a lot of topics and what they expected from us. It could be quite confusing but your daughter may be victim to a change of opinion thus her exact same answers are not necessarily what they are looking for. Mind you I didn't do the CP I did the CRP program which is for a year so our screening process is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter