Any 2nd career teachers here?

I'm in the process of getting an M.A. for "Early Childhood" (Pre-K through Grade 3). I have been laid off from 3 paralegal jobs since my DD was born in October of '08, and I am burned out on law firms (though I still submit to those positions when I see a suitable one). I started out planning to go "Alternate Route" and already have my provisional certificate, so I could teach tomorrow if I got a job...but I was told that many districts won't consider Alternate Route candidates so I decided to go on and get the full degree.

I already have a B.A. in English/Drama, an M.A. in Theatre and years of experience working with kids in the arts (though usually not for pay). My DH works at the University where I take classes so I get a tuition break (not free though!) At this point I am going to take 6 credits this fall and 9 next spring (including student teaching).

Generally I am trying to stay calm - be realistic about the challenges I will face in getting a job, but also not get negative about it! I am tutoring after school four days a week and that's something. I have tutored in the past. I'm on the substitute list in my town as of the start of this month (though I haven't been called YET). There's no way to be sure how things will be in 18 months when I'm done with my degree...so I am forging ahead.

Best of luck with your decision...and don't get TOO stressed about possibilities in the future, if you know what I mean. I have a good friend who constantly reminds me not to try to solve all the problems and "what-ifs" at one time because I'll drive myself crazy; I need to focus on the here-and-now (while not negating the facts!) HTH.

Not me, but dh is a second career science teacher.

It took him 18 months (including an extended student teaching stint) at a college that has a special program for second career teachers, which also included getting his masters.

The going back to school part wasn't that hard.

He did it because he'd wanted to do it for a long time, and the situation in our life came up that made it good timing. He had a BS and had been working in technician type jobs as where we lived there were very few jobs for scientists in that field with a BS.

He didn't have a hard time getting a job, but this was 14 years ago. If he were to do it today, he'd have a horrible time getting a job. All the districts around us are laying off teachers, including teachers in math and science. Several teachers from his department will lose their jobs next year.

Would he do it all over again? I doubt it. He loves, loves, loves teaching students. He loves the subject matter. He's a fabulous teacher.

NCLB and the current demonizing of teachers and gutting unions have changed everything. His district has a low payscale and is kind of blue collar. Because of that, he gets new administrators every two years, as they take the job as soon as they get their credential and leave after they have a little experience.

Last year, he had the principal from hell. This guy (a former gym teacher) hated science teachers. He ended up driving out more than half of the department, including some people who left in the middle of the year with no other job lined up, which is an indication of how bad an environment this jerk created. He had dh is his sights and was working on trying to get rid of him. Dh's kids consistently do better than any other teacher in the department, but he doesn't try to be the kids' friend, and he's not "cool.' Fortunately, the jerk left to go to a different school system this year, and dh has no problem with the current principal, but it's made a mark.

And once the union protections are gone, you'd better believe that administrators all over are going to go after the senior, more experienced (and more highly paid) teachers with a vengeance.

One of the things to consider is to ensure that your certification is in an area of demand. In my district the current areas of need are SPED, Speech therapists, science and mathmatics. So, for a teacher with a provisional license in English or History - they go to the bottom of the pile. Actually, the teachers with multiple certifications take postions they may not be as interested in (such as SPED)in order to get into the district - and once they have some senority they transfer to the English or History positions, leaving no room from someone from the outside to be considered.

I also think the pushback you are getting from some teachers is that the general public (not OP of course) often feel like teaching is not a difficult profession, "all the time off" is what I hear all the time. I know that I worked really hard to become a teacher (BA, M.ED and CAGS degrees) and it is not an easy job for someone without a degree in education.

One of the most valuable things you need to know as a teacher is not content knowledge (which is important) but how to manage a classroom, how to present material, and how to differentiate the instruction for various levels of learners. This comes with experience and education. I can't imagine being just thrown in and not knowing what is expected - the kids will surely take advantage!

Listen to the PP's and if teaching is still an option I say go for it - but definately sub first!

I really need to disagree with your post.

I started teaching in inner city Los Angeles at age 22. I LOVED it and stayed for 17 years, until my DH decided to move across the country. I was never scared and I went to students' funerals (I taught high school). I would say that if you really feel that way about where you are, you shouldn't be in that area. They sense fear and dislike a mile away! When the kids start realizing how much you care for them, they will give you the world! I have had difficult situations, have been called names, etc.....but those same kids came around within weeks knowing I cared about them deeply and believed in them.

FWIW: I would much rather deal with any gang kid in LA than with some of these snotty parents who think their kid deserves all the special attention they get at home. ;)

Dawn

I am 40 years old and currently in my first year of teaching. I have two teenagers. I have worked other positions and so teaching is my 2nd career.

However, I did things a little differently. I have two bachelors, one in writing and one in education. I did the dual major so I could become a highly qualified teacher.

1)It took me about 2 years to get these two bachelor's degrees with all general education courses completed (I already had an associates degree)

2) Student teaching was challenging. I student taught in an urban inner city school and it was HARD. I dealt with extreme poverty, racism, challenging parents.. and I should mention I was in the most dangerous city in the United States. (I am a suburban Caucasian woman... I stuck out!)

3) I always wanted to teach. That was the reason why I finally finished after 20 years after graduating high school.

4) It is extremely difficult to find a teaching job. I had a 4.0 GPA, great recommendations, dual certifications in Middle School English and Elementary Education and still took 22 months to find a teaching job. I sent over 200 resumes and went on 17, yes, 17 interviews until I found my full time teaching position. As for age, I know in my situation, being older and more mature helps.

I work full time in the same inner city I student taught in. I still deal with extreme poverty, racism, danger, and truth be told very SCARY student. The town is still the most dangerous in the nation. The need is great in this district. Everyday is an extreme challenge. Younger teachers can't do it.. my oldest students are 16 year old 8th graders.. the age gap is too small. Being a parent even a grandparent helps you.

5) The leap was needed. I know that having a bachelors degree would never be "wasted" because other professions require a bachelors. I worked for the Federal Government for over a year and my bachelor degrees were a prerequisite.

6) Would I do it all over again? I did leave a stable Federal Government position to come to my teaching position. Somedays I question my sanity. Somedays I see the light bulb over my students heads and it makes it worthwile. I'm still in my first year so it is difficult to say.

At this very moment, I would say to stay where you are. Depending on your state, you may be in a difficult position. I'm "lucky" because of my district.. nobody is knocking down doors to work in this town due to the violence and crime. Would I love a suburban district where all is right, and all I have to worry about is kids chewing gum... yes! Right now, I have homeless students, students who are in juvenile detention, students who have drug and alcohol problems, students who live in extreme poverty, students who can't resist the pull of the street corner and easy money. Note this is a public school.. not a school for troubled teens or an alternative school.

Many days I come home crying.. today was one of them. I will say that this experience has made me stronger. By the way, I subbed for 6 years while I was going to school. I subbed in surburban districts and I should have subbed in urban districts to understand the students better.

Here is what I would advise.....

Given that teachers are being laid off around the country and teaching jobs are hard to find, I would specialize in a high need area. Math, Science, special education, ESL, or whatever high need is in your area. You can double certify if you really would prefer one area but need to get your foot in the door in another higher need area. I have several credentials actually (English, History, ESL, School Counseling.) Only having babies stopped me from going back for even more schooling.....I had a hard time stopping as I tend to be a goal setter and always looking towards my next goal.

That said, even thought I would much prefer being in the counseling office, I would take an ESL job if I needed to work and that was all I could get. At least I would be working and I really do like teaching ESL, I just prefer counseling.

Dawn

Concerning "summer's off". Those weeks we are off are not a paid vacation. That is unpaid time. While there was a time when it was a 3 month vacation, now it is usually 8 to 9 months.

I have to recertify every 5 years. When do I take those graduate hours? Usually in the summer! The hours aren't optional.

Additionally, one school district that I worked in decided that teachers lose their skills if they're allowed to have 8 weeks "off", and they began requiring teachers to attend PD during the month of July.

The reality for me for most of my career has been: Teach the year. On the Saturday after school ends, set up for summer school. Teach the entire month of June. Have the week of 4th of July off. Attend several days of PD. Have two to three weeks of "vacation" time with my family.

Oh, and on evenings and weekends I take those required grad hours.

Concerning "summer's off". Those weeks we are off are not a paid vacation. That is unpaid time. While there was a time when it was a 3 month vacation, now it is usually 8 to 9 months.

I have to recertify every 5 years. When do I take those graduate hours? Usually in the summer! The hours aren't optional.

Additionally, one school district that I worked in decided that teachers lose their skills if they're allowed to have 8 weeks "off", and they began requiring teachers to attend PD during the month of July.

The reality for me for most of my career has been: Teach the year. On the Saturday after school ends, set up for summer school. Teach the entire month of June. Have the week of 4th of July off. Attend several days of PD. Have two to three weeks of "vacation" time with my family.

Oh, and on evenings and weekends I take those required grad hours.

This is what many people do not get about the teaching profession. Locally and throughout the state there has been a great deal of "teacher bashing" as of late especially now that the Gov is pushing for changing the Maine State Retirement. I hear over and over again how easy teachers have it. None of them of course are teachers and see no further than the end of their nose on the subject.

I thought I was posting this in the budget board but I accidentally put it in the family board so I am reposting.

What I mean is you had your bachelors and worked in a different field then went back to school to be a teacher.

I have my bachelors of Science in Business. I have worked in the insurance industry for the past 10 years and am 34 with a 3yo DS and a 1yo DD. And I a considering going back to school to be a teacher. I have some questions. (I also live in Michigan)

1. How long did it take you to get your teaching certificate with a BS? Rough idea considering all the general ed courses already taken.I participated in a program that allowed us to get a certificate in a year, concurrent with our first year of teaching. I took 2 masters classes per semester the first year I taught. It is called alternate bachelors certification (ABC). Several states have it for high need areas like math nad science
2. Was it hard to go back to school and student teach with kids. Not for me. I have always been comfortable around kids, and did a lot of tutoring in college.
3. What made you do it? I was always interested in teaching, but having my DD was what finally made me take thye plunge. I was a chemist worknig 50 hour weeks and getting calls at all hours. Leaving the house at 2 am to go fix something was just not as appealing anymore.
4. How hard was it to find a job? (are schools looking for 20 somethings or do they like the prior experience) For me, it was not hard at all. English andhistroy are much harder. It would depend on what you were teaching.
5. What made your decision to take the leap See #3
6. Would you do it over again with all the issues with teachers now? And am I crazy to even consider leaving a well paying job in this economy. I would do it agian because I love what I do, and it gives me the freedom to do so much more with DD during summers and school breaks. The politics are not fun, and teachers take a lot o undeserved abuse but it just boils down to the fact that I love teaching. [/QUOTE]
:goodvibes

1. How long did it take you to get your teaching certificate with a BS? Rough idea considering all the general ed courses already taken.
2. Was it hard to go back to school and student teach with kids.
3. What made you do it?
4. How hard was it to find a job? (are schools looking for 20 somethings or do they like the prior experience)
5. What made your decision to take the leap
6. Would you do it over again with all the issues with teachers now? And am I crazy to even consider leaving a well paying job in this economy.

1. It should take about 2 years to complete your content specific courses.
2. Student teaching is difficult with kids but the hardest thing is many universities will not allow you to have a job while you are student teaching. Can you make it without the income?
3. I did not go back as a teacher for a second career but I have had many friends do it as well as my student teacher I currently have.
4. I don't know about your particular area but I know that in Michigan things are very very challenging. Because of the declining population there is a need for many fewer teachers. All that being said as soon as the economy turns around you will see all the teachers who were supposed to retire during the last few years retire at once. There could potentially be lots of openings about the time you were to finish school.
5. Keep in mind that teaching is not just teaching. You are teacher, parent, counselor, nurse, mediator,multitasker,project manager, etc. It is a hard job. If it is something that you feel passionate about then I say go for it. If you are just thinking teaching might be fun. I say stay far, far away. It is too mcuh work iwith ver little tangible reward if you don't have the passion.

Good luck!

This is what many people do not get about the teaching profession. Locally and throughout the state there has been a great deal of "teacher bashing" as of late especially now that the Gov is pushing for changing the Maine State Retirement. I hear over and over again how easy teachers have it. None of them of course are teachers and see no further than the end of their nose on the subject.

Well, I was a teacher and did not say it was easy..it is NOT..but...I hold that the pay for days contracted is not the 'poor teacher' statement I hear so often. It is a very hard profession..yes..however...working Summer School is extra pay...if you can live within your contracted salary (around here I think it is 35k+) you can indeed have 2 wks at Christmas, 1 week spring, many 3 day weekends and summer..etc. many friends and family are teachers..they are good ones and work hard..but they do love thier time off and I say enjoy it! good for them...but..days contracted divided by pay must be considered when realistically considering income value. I would guess the average worker works 21 days a month x 12 for 252 days a year..minus some holidays (DH gets Thanksgiving,Labor, Memorial and Christmas) minus a generous 3 weeks of vaction if one is so lucky (DH gets 12 vacation days after 10 years employment) making it 233 days at work. Say he makes 40K (which he doesn't) that makes his pay $173.00 a day. If you work 184 days then your actual wage would be $217.40 a day. My DH also needs continuing ed and that is done in little trips after work that bring him home at 11PM or weekends to a different city on his own time.
I'm not saying that teachers are overpaid lazy slackers, but I am saying the whole underpaid thing needs to have days contracted taken into consideration.

Well, I was a teacher and did not say it was easy..it is NOT..but...I hold that the pay for days contracted is not the 'poor teacher' statement I hear so often. It is a very hard profession..yes..however...working Summer School is extra pay...if you can live within your contracted salary (around here I think it is 35k+) you can indeed have 2 wks at Christmas, 1 week spring, many 3 day weekends and summer..etc. many friends and family are teachers..they are good ones and work hard..but they do love thier time off and I say enjoy it! good for them...but..days contracted divided by pay must be considered when realistically considering income value. I would guess the average worker works 21 days a month x 12 for 252 days a year..minus some holidays (DH gets Thanksgiving,Labor, Memorial and Christmas) minus a generous 3 weeks of vaction if one is so lucky (DH gets 12 vacation days after 10 years employment) making it 233 days at work. Say he makes 40K (which he doesn't) that makes his pay $173.00 a day. If you work 184 days then your actual wage would be $217.40 a day. My DH also needs continuing ed and that is done in little trips after work that bring him home at 11PM or weekends to a different city on his own time.
I'm not saying that teachers are overpaid lazy slackers, but I am saying the whole underpaid thing needs to have days contracted taken into consideration.

As a teacher I completly disagree with you. There are very few teachers out there that only work the hours and days they are contracted for. We spend hours upon hours of at home time making lesson plans, grading papers, calling parents, etc. I challenge any person to drive by an elementary school all summer long and tell me how many cars you see in the parking lot. Those cars are teachers volunteering their time for your child. I spend hours upon hours at the school working on my room, making plans, meeting with my team. I don't get paid for this. I spend my own money buying supplies for children who don't have it or board games for my room for recess. I spend money on markers, and crayone, and scissors. I lose my sick days staying home because I help your child's head while he vomited because his parents sent him to school sick. I mediate fights between kids, I give them hugs when they cry. People tend to forget when they look at teacher's salary the high level of teacher's education. You can't compare our salaries with job postions that do not require a college degree, not to mention the high percentage of teacher's that have a Master's Degeree. That takes you into an entirely different salary range.

One single teacher can determine your child's future salary potential, even their Kindergarten teacher. So tell me what a teacher is worth?

Both Dh and I are in the education profession. The major thing I take issue with in general is the lake of courtesy and respect teachers receive. I appreciate that you were a teacher and discovered you were not a good fit for it. It's not for everyone. I decided not to look for a Spec Ed teaching position and to work as an ed tech instead. We do live with in our means and I won't complain about DH salary (I am now 'just" an ed tech formally a pre K teacher) and yes having vacations off with the kids is totally awesome (when DH is not deployed), however what upsets me is the general negativity towards teachers. Like I said especially recently it in our area we only hear about how many days teachers are inside the school, how teachers only do it for the money, how teachers have so much time off to do nothing etc. There is rarely consideration to all the teachers GIVE on and off that contracted time. IE we have purchased non reimbursed school supplies for all the students in the class at the beginning of the school year and replenished through the year- that is one of the cuts schools have taken that teachers fill the need for. Parents (I am not giving a blanket statement here but all parents of Dh students fall here) don't bother to send the supplies in because they believe regardless of whether the school supplies the items, they shouldn't have to. We have every year purchased back packs, hats mittens, boots, jackets, general every day clothes, shoes for students because there were other priorities at home that did not include those things. Things like that are rarely ever recognized but how many days a teacher is contracted is always noted. That is what frustrates me. One can't teach for the "glory" or for the money but for the joy of helping a young mind blossom.

Sorry OP for hijacking. Still, it is a good thing for you to be aware of. You will find that some parents, community members will support you and encourage you while others can be just viscous about teachers (not saying that about anyone in this particular thread).

As a teacher I completly disagree with you. There are very few teachers out there that only work the hours and days they are contracted for. We spend hours upon hours of at home time making lesson plans, grading papers, calling parents, etc. I challenge any person to drive by an elementary school all summer long and tell me how many cars you see in the parking lot. Those cars are teachers volunteering their time for your child. I spend hours upon hours at the school working on my room, making plans, meeting with my team. I don't get paid for this. I spend my own money buying supplies for children who don't have it or board games for my room for recess. I spend money on markers, and crayone, and scissors. I lose my sick days staying home because I help your child's head while he vomited because his parents sent him to school sick. I mediate fights between kids, I give them hugs when they cry. People tend to forget when they look at teacher's salary the high level of teacher's education. You can't compare our salaries with job postions that do not require a college degree, not to mention the high percentage of teacher's that have a Master's Degeree. That takes you into an entirely different salary range.

One single teacher can determine your child's future salary potential, even their Kindergarten teacher. So tell me what a teacher is worth?

I commend your dedication. Yes, I brought home papers, called parents, fixed my room, bought things out of my own money..all what a good helpful person will do and I admire your dedication.
DH and I both have degrees...in NM the masters gets you more pay. Yes, good teachers have a great impact on young people and I am grateful for those my kids and grandkids have had..but influence isn't the only indicator of pay..My son is a cop..he gets less than a teacher and one single cop can save you, one single airman can save you, one single cook can insure your food is healthful, one single taxi driver can get you safely where you are going, one paramedic can start your heart, one single firefighter can save your house.
Again..Teachers are wonderful and deserve accolades..but..work days must be considered. Here, teachers go back early in summer to get their rooms ready..they are contracted days...I had a prep period and if I used it wisely I didn't need to take much home. Even when I took work home it was no more than a couple hours a day, so still brought me in under my 10 hours a day schedule as a restaurant manager (which often went to 12).
I don't why every discussion of pay and days worked has to bring up such defensivness...

I thought I was posting this in the budget board but I accidentally put it in the family board so I am reposting.

What I mean is you had your bachelors and worked in a different field then went back to school to be a teacher.

I have my bachelors of Science in Business. I have worked in the insurance industry for the past 10 years and am 34 with a 3yo DS and a 1yo DD. And I a considering going back to school to be a teacher. I have some questions. (I also live in Michigan)

1. How long did it take you to get your teaching certificate with a BS? Rough idea considering all the general ed courses already taken. We moved to Florida 6 months ago in Florida they have a program for alternative certification. You get a three year temp contract in your subject area and letter of eligibility. I myself have Biology 6-12 and middle integrated 5-9 which allows me to teach any core subject in middle school. I took a test to pass that certification. my husband has his integrated and business ed 6-12.
2. Was it hard to go back to school and student teach with kids.My husband and I have a 4yo and most of the classes we need are online based and we do them while working.
3. What made you do it? we needed a change in our lives and it was a hard choice, but pays off.
4. How hard was it to find a job? (are schools looking for 20 somethings or do they like the prior experience) We had to market ourselves pretty hard core email blasts to principals, created our own website about ourselves as well. We actually ended up getting jobs in the same school, but it was a title 1 school in Orlando. I would not change it for the world. Prior experience is preferred as anything volunteering, working with children helps too.
5. What made your decision to take the leap We had faith, and wanted to move to Florida.
6. Would you do it over again with all the issues with teachers now? And am I crazy to even consider leaving a well paying job in this economy. It is a shock for sure but we are willing to make it work, and then we are going to work on our masters.
If you feel it is right then go for it, but i would sub first to see if it is something you really want.

I don't think I am underpaid for what I do. I like having hoidays off with my DD, but I do think the idea that I only work the 185 8 hour days I am contracted for is a joke. I work at least 5 hours a week at home, most of the time more. I am required to offer one hour a week of after school help outside my contract time. I offer 2 different days and usually do about 3 hours a week. I spend about 10 days a summer in required but unpaid workshops, and many hours perparing lessons and activities for the next year. There are no contracted days allowed for this stuff. We go back 3 days before the kids and are in required meetings for those days.

I commend your dedication. Yes, I brought home papers, called parents, fixed my room, bought things out of my own money..all what a good helpful person will do and I admire your dedication.
DH and I both have degrees...in NM the masters gets you more pay. Yes, good teachers have a great impact on young people and I am grateful for those my kids and grandkids have had..but influence isn't the only indicator of pay..My son is a cop..he gets less than a teacher and one single cop can save you, one single airman can save you, one single cook can insure your food is healthful, one single taxi driver can get you safely where you are going, one paramedic can start your heart, one single firefighter can save your house.
Again..Teachers are wonderful and deserve accolades..but..work days must be considered. Here, teachers go back early in summer to get their rooms ready..they are contracted days...I had a prep period and if I used it wisely I didn't need to take much home. Even when I took work home it was no more than a couple hours a day, so still brought me in under my 10 hours a day schedule as a restaurant manager (which often went to 12).
I don't why every discussion of pay and days worked has to bring up such defensivness...

Because the only people who think that teachers have such a sweet deal are those who:

A: never taught

or

B: those who could not succeed as a teacher.

With all due respect I think you not joining the union had nothing to do with your not being able to handle the job. My husband has taught in 2 states where one did not have to join a union (a small school district and a huge one) and has no idea who did or did not belong to the union, nor did he or any other teacher we know care.

Really, if it was such a sweet deal you would have never quit. Every job has difficult co-workers, bosses, and/or clients -- but if the pay is good enough (as you claim your teacher pay way) then you put up with the bs. It would not make sense to quit a great paying job just because there are some challenges, would it?

To the OP---

I am in my first year of teaching which is my second career. I worked in human resources for 3 1/2 years before going back to school to be a teacher. It took me 2 years to earn my Masters in Education.

My first year of school I was pregnant. My second year I had an infant. Yes, it was hard. I was lucky to get into the excellent on campus daycare. However, I graduated with honors. I did sub before making the decision to go back to school.

I was lucky to find a job this year because I now live in a rural area with few jobs (teaching and otherwise). Next year it looks like I will be out of a job.

I don't want to be negative, but unless you have a strong conviction and REALLY feel like you want to teach I say don't do it. I really underestimated how stressful teaching is and how much work I would have to bring home. Easily 2-3 hours a night. You take the good with the bad though. I do love my students and co-workers. However, if I had it to do over again would I go back to school to be a teacher?

Probably not.

To OP

I am now in school finishing my degree so that I may teach in the public system after having taught in the private school system were a degree was not required at the time I started. However that has all changed now. The school I taught in closed due to financial reasons. I love teaching and I am not happy when I am not in the classroom. Teaching is not an easy job and takes dedication, determination, and compassion. To be great at this discipline requires much more than listed in the contract you will be presented. Job security is something to consider now, however I believe this will change in the future. I say go for it but don't quit your other job.

Agreed....people also overlook the fact that teacher's day is non-stop. There are no quiet lunches alone, or I feel like I'll take a half-day because the work is light, and no field trips with their children. I love my job. I would others would respect and appreciate my peers as I do. TEACHERS ROCK

Forget the quiet lunches alone....I just wish we could get to the bathroom when we need to! (Some days, I have a 4 hour stretch where I'm in the room with the kids and I'm just thinking, "Why did I ever have that second cup of coffee?":headache:).

My advice is stay with the job you have and be grateful for it. Teaching is the most difficult, uncertain, stressful, job and always has been. It does have it's rewards, but be sure you know what you're in for before you choose it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter