Antipasto Platter

I don't know. I think most of the antipasto platters that I have seen from catering places or that you buy pre-made have cubed up cheeses.

Antipasto%20Platter.jpg

D09.jpg

But it doesn't really matter. I think any way you serve it, it will look nice. But I believe it would be cheaper for the OP to buy a block of mozzarella and cut it in cubes rather than get fresh, balled mozzarella.

Maggie

Around here, all cheese is cubed, but blocked mozzarella is basically used melted on food. If served cold, it's always fresh (most places here make their own). I happen to live in a very Italian area, though.

I don't know. I think most of the antipasto platters that I have seen from catering places or that you buy pre-made have cubed up cheeses.

Antipasto%20Platter.jpg

D09.jpg

But it doesn't really matter. I think any way you serve it, it will look nice. But I believe it would be cheaper for the OP to buy a block of mozzarella and cut it in cubes rather than get fresh, balled mozzarella.

Maggie

Thanks so much for your help everyone! The pictures are great too...especially the idea about using lettuce underneath things to separate them...I was wondering how I would do that! I promise to post a picture in a few weeks to show you what I make!

Around here, all cheese is cubed, but blocked mozzarella is basically used melted on food. If served cold, it's always fresh (most places here make their own). I happen to live in a very Italian area, though.

Yes, I agree. You won't see many old-school Italians using blocked Kraft cheese and cubing it up on their antipasto tray.

Maggie

Here's a picture of one I made on the fly when we had unexpected guests. Right before they arrived I added mozzarella cubes but they aren't in the picture.

Antipasto.jpg

It's pretty easy to see what I used and I tossed it all in Italian dressing before putting it in the bowl on top of lettuce.

Here's a picture of one I made on the fly when we had unexpected guests. Right before they arrived I added mozzarella cubes but they aren't in the picture.

Antipasto.jpg

It's pretty easy to see what I used and I tossed it all in Italian dressing before putting it in the bowl on top of lettuce.

What kind of lettuce is that? And did people just use toothpicks to put it on their plates ? You had forks out? Thanks!

What kind of lettuce is that? And did people just use toothpicks to put it on their plates ? You had forks out? Thanks!

It's green leaf lettuce ~ at my store we can just buy the big leaves so that's what I used. I gave everyone a small plate and I put out a serving spoon so they could put some on their plate if they wanted and then I had out those toothpicks that look like little forks (wooden) and which I really like. I just used the toothpick and didn't bother with a plate ~ some used the plate and some didn't but it was their choice. It worked out well and it was gone when they left :)

OK, Another Italian chiming in on Antipasto, or Antibast as we call it!!! lol. We do serve this for any holiday that we cook, which is most of them!!! And, everybody does it differently. I must say I have never had cubed meats or cheese, that I think, would be something that you would get from a deli, um so no. All the meats are rolled, yes, by hand, the cheese is layed flat. Gardenaria, I buy jarred. You can get it inexpensively in the dollar store, I just saw it there the other day. I prefer imported, but not everyone knows the difference. I wouldn't bother making it, it would just take too much time. So we include, prosciutto, genoa salami, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and imported provolone, black olives, roasted peppers, pickled eggplant if I can find it, pepperocini (the long green hot peppers), and don't know why but we put a can of tuna fish in the middle, do not ask me why, thats what my Mom did, so that what we do, and all of that is on a bed of lettuce. We look forward to that everytime we make it. We also make artichokes and stuffed mushrooms for every holiday as well. The rest of the menu would decide on the holiday. Christmas Eve, is all fish, we didn't have meat on that night growing up, but since my Mom passed and we now cook, we love antipasto so we have it then as well.

OK, Another Italian chiming in on Antipasto, or Antibast as we call it!!! lol. We do serve this for any holiday that we cook, which is most of them!!! And, everybody does it differently. I must say I have never had cubed meats or cheese, that I think, would be something that you would get from a deli, um so no. All the meats are rolled, yes, by hand, the cheese is layed flat. Gardenaria, I buy jarred. You can get it inexpensively in the dollar store, I just saw it there the other day. I prefer imported, but not everyone knows the difference. I wouldn't bother making it, it would just take too much time. So we include, prosciutto, genoa salami, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and imported provolone, black olives, roasted peppers, pickled eggplant if I can find it, pepperocini (the long green hot peppers), and don't know why but we put a can of tuna fish in the middle, do not ask me why, thats what my Mom did, so that what we do, and all of that is on a bed of lettuce. We look forward to that everytime we make it. We also make artichokes and stuffed mushrooms for every holiday as well. The rest of the menu would decide on the holiday. Christmas Eve, is all fish, we didn't have meat on that night growing up, but since my Mom passed and we now cook, we love antipasto so we have it then as well.

the can of tuna cracks me up...do people take it? The rest of it sounds delicious...where do you find pickled eggplant? In a jar??

Yes, believe it or not everyone takes the tuna. Of course we drain the tuna and take it out of the can, I didn't think I had to say that but now that I'm thinking about it wanted to be sure no one leaves the can in the middle of a beautiful plate!!! lmfao.....I really have absolutely no idea why we do it but we do. It does taste good with everything when you take it!!! Maybe its some kind of Italian thing, maybe it meant something back in the day. Why you would put fish on a dish of meat and cheeses is beyond me as well. However, I know some people put anchovies on their antipasto, so go figure. Pickled eggplants I've found in the supermarket. My Mom used to make her own, but again, waaay too much work for me, and I don't even like eggplant!

For economic antipastos I used to go to my deli department and ask if they have any cold cut ends. They sell them at a steep discount and I can cube or julienne as I chose to make my antipasto with much less cost.

I totally just did a facepalm! I make a yummy antipasto-style pasta salad, and have a hard time getting deli workers to understand what I mean when I say I want the meat cut thickly so I can cut it up myself. I never would've thought to ask for the ends, and that's an awesome idea. Thanks for the tip!

OP, I'm jealous of the people who will get to eat your creation :)

I make something I call antipasto skewers as an appetizer. I buy the smaller sized skewers (not the size for a kabob) and make varied ones.

For example.....
grape tomatoes, basil and marinated mozzarella
cheese tortellini (cooked, of course), salami and sun dried tomato
olive, marinated artichoke, salami

and so on.

These are great for a smaller party, when you may not want to purchase everything that would go on a platter (for a small group, that can get pricey) and they look very fancy. They also can be done ahead of time and need no last minute prep.

Just a suggestion.

Julia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter