• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another WWYD question...

goofyfordisney

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Currently, we have 2 rooms Standard view at WL booked. We have 5 adults in our party (me, DH, 2 sons & son's fiance). We can change our reservation to a 2 bedroom OKW villa for $116 less.

I'm leaning towards changing...WWYD?

TIA!

What are your plans? Are you going to spend a lot of time in the parks/MK? Will you have a car? Personally, I'd keep WL but just because OKW is huge and if you are toward the back and are using WDW transportation, it takes a while for the bus to get around. At WL you have the boat to MK and if you wanted you could take the monorail to Epcot (they do have a bus that goes too). You would only have to bus to two parks, HS and AK. There are more food choices at WL, and if you add the access to the monorail resorts there is loads more. The rooms are bigger at OKW, which is an advantage and if you are planning on using a car, it would probably be a good option. Again, there are only two food choices there, Olivia's and the pool bar. There is a small sparse QS sandwich type place at the main pool but the options are very limited there. Again, this wouldn't matter if you have a car since you could, if you wanted, drive to any other resort to eat.

Hi,

Currently, we have 2 rooms Standard view at WL booked. We have 5 adults in our party (me, DH, 2 sons & son's fiance). We can change our reservation to a 2 bedroom OKW villa for $116 less.

TIA!
I would stay at Wilderness Lodge due to the proximity to the Magic Kingdom.

I'm assuming it is $116 per night. How many nights? If it was a short stay, I would probably stay at WL. If it was 5 or more nights, I would go to OKW. That would be saving a good bit of money. We are all about saving money. We took our daughter and her family last year and year before. It gets very expensive paying for that many people.
Now, if you are saving $116 over the whole time you are there, that would be a no brainer. I would definitely stay at WL just because of the proximity to Magic Kingdom.

What are your plans? Are you going to spend a lot of time in the parks/MK? Will you have a car? Personally, I'd keep WL but just because OKW is huge and if you are toward the back and are using WDW transportation, it takes a while for the bus to get around. At WL you have the boat to MK and if you wanted you could take the monorail to Epcot (they do have a bus that goes too). You would only have to bus to two parks, HS and AK. There are more food choices at WL, and if you add the access to the monorail resorts there is loads more. The rooms are bigger at OKW, which is an advantage and if you are planning on using a car, it would probably be a good option. Again, there are only two food choices there, Olivia's and the pool bar. There is a small sparse QS sandwich type place at the main pool but the options are very limited there. Again, this wouldn't matter if you have a car since you could, if you wanted, drive to any other resort to eat.

We will have a car (minivan). We probably won't spend too much time at the resort/or in the room, since we're pretty commando-type people at WDW!

We will be visiting during the week leading into Thanksgiving (flying home on Thanksgiving). I think the Xmas decorations are probably better at WL too. Grand Californian is our favorite Disneyland resort too....hmmm...decisions, decisions...

Its $116 total savings...not per night. We will be there for 5 nights. We plan on doing MK for sure -- we will have hopper passes.

I'm' not a huge fan of either resort styles, but my family would choose WL because we like to enjoy resort time. WL has great restaurants, decorations would be great, it is close to MK, can view fireworks from there, and it is close to resorts we like to visit to shop at and for meals (such as Poly, GF). That said...if we were commando tourists, I'd stay at the cheaper option, especially if the cheaper option gave us more room to stretch out the little bit we were there.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa at Old Key West with five adults and 2 children and really liked having the living room, full kitchen, washer and dryer, huge patio and lots of space. We had breakfast in the room every morning and really enjoyed being together but still having separate space. And the bus system wasn't bad. But there wasn't a very good counter service option.

We've also stayed at WL many times and really like it there. There is the direct bus and boat to MK. And the other bus routes only make one other stop instead of the multiple stops that an OKW bus makes. You'll spend less time on buses and you'll have good food options in your resort building at WL. And WL is very compact compared to OKW.

I think it depends on which one appeals to you, a 2 bedroom villa with the extra amenities or staying at a more compact resort with good food and transportation options.

Last edited:
OKW Hands down.!!! With the WL construction I would shy away for awhile.
OKW 2 BR Villas are huge and they are beautiful. I took our extended family there and it was perfect. We had our own private space and lots of space to visit together.
Good Luck

I would choose OKW hands down. Being that your son has a fiancé, I assume your kids are grown. You will appreciate the extra space of the OKW villa. Plus the washer and dryer are convenient if you want to pack less, or just be able to dry wet shoes after a Florida thunderstorm.
I've stayed at both WL and OKW many times, so I know how hard the choice is, but hands down I would choose space over theme.

Thanks for all of the feedback! We had a family vote & WL is the one! I think the theming and proximity to MK are the most important to us for this trip.

OKW looks beautiful - maybe we'll get there on a future trip.

This trip is pretty 'last minute' - due to the fact we are trying to travel during a holiday time. We were limited with our choices (there aren't too many deluxe resort rooms available for our dates) and we couldn't rent points because everything was booked up.

This is only our 2nd trip to WDW as a family - we were there 15 years ago at Thanksgiving when the kids were 8 & 13 (they're 23 & 28 now)!

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Do some research about the construction at WL. The entire resort under construction and may not be as relaxing as it normally is. WL is open at T-giving and less expensive for a reason. Just a thought. Also you have almost 3 times the space at OKW, the 2 bedrooms are about 1500 sq feet..

Normally I'd say WL. But with the massive construction going on there I'd be inclined to stay elsewhere.

Me too.

Do some research about the construction at WL. The entire resort under construction and may not be as relaxing as it normally is. WL is open at T-giving and less expensive for a reason. Just a thought. Also you have almost 3 times the space at OKW, the 2 bedrooms are about 1500 sq feet..

I agree, do some research and then decide if this is the resort for you. I never worry about space in a room, we travel as a family and have no issues with sharing, but construction? Not a chance.

Hi,

TIA!
I'd go with OKW just because of the extra space, the full kitchen and washer/dryer. You can't see the gorgeous lobby of WL from your room. Just make plans to visit the resort for dinner or drinks. The construction at WL is enough to deter me from staying there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter