• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another "Which Airline" Question....

Which Airline

• BA

• Virgin

• TCD

• MyTravel

• Thomson

• First Choice

• Monarch

Results are only viewable after voting.

bazzanoid

where'sthespacebar?
Hi all,

We're hunting around for flights for our trip next december (yes, i know they're not available yet, but i can get an idea of comparitive pricing between the airlines), and trying to decide who to go with. Since TCD have removed the Upper Deck from their flights over the whole 'plane leasing / someone's gonna get fired for mis-dating the new ones' thing, all benefit of flying with them is really not worth worrying about, given their level of service and age of planes in general.

Soooo.... do we fly economy with Virgin, BA, Monarch Charter or TCD anyway?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Ta! :thumbsup2

Out of the choices you listed I have only flown Virgin & BA. If there was not much difference in the prices I would choose Virgin. This year we are going with US Air which means a change - but we would have had to anyway as we are stopping in Charlotte to see a friend.

I went over at the end of September and ended up flying with Thomson. I have to say it was a great flight. All seats are brand new leather seats, own TV , even have an interactice TV for £5 but dont really need it. The TV is touch screen with games on. Lots of leg room (I think 37").

You need to book meals and pay a bit extra but I got flights for three people and it only cost £870 total (without meals) from Manchester which I think is a good price.

We were thinking on Virgin, just the issue with having to deal with the soul-destroying experience that is MCO Airport... much prefer sanford!

Budicesi - just looked at Thomson, works out around the same price by the time you add meals, pre-seating etc... worth a look tho, and worth taking into consideration!

We've got the same issue. We've used TCD Sunshine First for the last 3 years, but as there is no SF for October 2008 from Manchester we're looking at alternatives. We want to fly on a Thursday (Oct 2nd), so we appear to be limited to MyTravel, Thomas Cooks and Virgin. We've used Virgin PE before, but have no experiance of MyTravel or Thomas Cooks - has anyone else used their upgraded flights before? I/we really want the most legroom I can get.

Ian

Hi,

I just flew back this morning (after a fabulous holiday), and it was the first time we'd booked a charter flight so I was a little dubious!! We flew with First Choice and they were fantastic. Everything about them...staff, food,leg room, new planes etc etc....not one complaint. Having flown BA and Virgin before into Orlando International, flying with First Choice didn't compare...they were SO much better, and Sanford was great...only 45 mins from Disney and with SatNav, so easy to find!!

Ok, Time to add a poll methinks..... vote for your favourite economy class airline. Recommendations always welcome for reasonably-priced PE!

We've only ever flown with Virgin and Thomas Cook and I'm afraid Virgin would win hands down

I have voted Virgin but no way because of their service, quality of planes or food. Purely because they are the only carrier to do direct from Manchester for 25 nights.
I dont like BA, once used them for NY and the plane was dropping to bits:rotfl2:
Also dont like Sanford airport, did it once and never again absolutely bored stiff after a 4 hour delay, we love MCO.
Our fave transatlantic airline is BMI. I would rather go indirect with AA, UA, US ect than fly into Sanford.

Ok - i'm worried now. I'm flying with My Travel in July and no one seems to have a postive thing to say!!??

We've only ever flown Virgin and was quite happy with the service etc.

MIL - FIL and our neice flew with Mytravel to Sanford and they said the flight was great,and to say it was a budget flight they wouldnt of thought it.
Neice was happy too,so I dont think it was bad at all.

We just prefer Virgin and the fact we get the 10% off helps :thumbsup2

I've only flown longhaul with Virgin and First Choice and First Choice wins without a doubt. Much better entertainment, attention from staff, leg room/comfy seats, food etc etc.

Also the flights were much cheaper for our family and as we live in the South West could fly from Bristol without the long trek up to Gatwick.

My vote goes to First Choice, we've flown with them the last 2 trips and couldn't fault them in any way. No silly prices to fly from Glasgow either.

Virgin for us, they fly direct from Manchester to MCO which we much prefer over Sanford.

Apart from our first trip (Britannia) we have only flew with Virgin and have been very happy with the flights and service. But looking at the new services offered by some of the charter companies (First Choice, Thomsons) we would be very tempted to use them, especially if the price is right. I think that Virgin and BA really need to up their standards if they want to carry on as the leading direct carriers to Orlando, especially their entertainment system which is a bit old now and lacks the games and on-demand movies that the new charter planes offer.
Also Thomsons fly from Birmingham so no long drive to Gatwick.
Only couple of negatives are reduced luggage allowances compared to Virgin and having to fly to Sanford (not a big problem, but we don't bother with a car so Towncar transfers would be more expensive).

Having travelled both BA and Virgin I have to say BA. 10 years ago the answer would have been different, but the service, comfort, and delays to the Virgin service have become progressively worse over that time.

Have flown with Virgin twice and TCD, both Virgin flights were superb, on time, with friendly and attentive staff. TCD was an older plane with several maintenance issue and their staff seemed to want to resolve any issue by handing out 'complaint cards' rather attempting to resolve them there and then. Price wise, would definitely give TCD another chance if I was doing a cheep and cheerful visit, but for me Virgin flying direct from Manchester to MCO hold the upper hand.

Ok - i'm worried now. I'm flying with My Travel in July and no one seems to have a postive thing to say!!??

Out of first choice, TCD, Mytavel and Monarch I would say that Mytravel were the worst we only booked with them because they were the cheapest at the time. On our way out in 2005 their plane was out of action so they put us on a TCD jumbo which was great(2 seats each!) unfortunately we still had to come home with them

Thumbs up to First Choice, was thinking about Virgin next year but may change my mind now

BTW what price comparison site does everyone use when booking?
Sue

Out of first choice, TCD, Mytavel and Monarch I would say that Mytravel were the worst we only booked with them because they were the cheapest at the time. On our way out in 2005 their plane was out of action so they put us on a TCD jumbo which was great(2 seats each!) unfortunately we still had to come home with them

Thumbs up to First Choice, was thinking about Virgin next year but may change my mind now

BTW what price comparison site does everyone use when booking?
Sue

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would not travel with TCD/Excel (the actual parent company of TCD, in fact the planes are being branded XL in the future) but that is a personal descision based upon the fact that Excel have refused to take failed asylum seekers back to their country of origin when asked to do so by the Government.

However others who have different opinions to myself, will find next year that the 747's have gone and replaced by a two class 767 and possibly Airbus A330 aircraft so more up to date than the old TCD 747 aircraft, but less available seats. This should make them more on a par with FC and Monarch etc. Economy cabin however, will revert back to a 31" seat pitch.

My travel will become part of Thomas Cook and re-badged as such from 1st May 2008, so you could get either a TC or a MYT aircraft, depending on how they decide to run the new combined routes (but again, less seats available)

And Finally!! :goodvibes
First choice is to be merged with Thomsonfly to make TUI Travel Airways, again (see a pattern happening here??) you may get a Thomsonfly or a FCA aircraft and again, less seats as these two companies combine their aircraft and routes.

Consolidation will mean less choice of Charters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter