Another "where should we stay" question!

nickymaria

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone!:wave2:
We are anxiously planning our first DL visit for April of next year. We're flying into San Diego and spending 5 nights there, then we'll drive up to Anaheim and do 5 nights somewhere near DL. The question is - where to stay? My kids REALLY like the look of the Disneyland Hotel (especially the water slides) - I like the look of the GC but both of them are ridiculously expensive compared to the "good neighbor" hotels. Do any of the local hotels offer pool areas like the DL ones? Do you think it's worth it to pay the extra $ to stay on-site? I always stay on-site at WDW but I know DL is very different. I am intrigued by the early access - I think that will be really helpful as far as crowds go, but is the extra $ worth it? We can afford it, but I don't always think that means we should, IYKWIM?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

THANK YOU!

I think it is totally worth it. Watch for deals closer to your dates as sometimes DLR will offer them. We stayed at the DLH in 2009 and will be again for our upcoming trip. The rooms have been completely remodeled as has the pool area so it should be amazing. The walk to the parks through DTD is so nice, you really never leave the magic. The thought of walking down traffic filled roads back to an off site hotel just holds no magic at all. And I am not sure the ages of your kids but it is nice to let them"run free" a little bit for the walk as there are no cars to worry about. I vote for DLH.

None of the off property hotels have pools as nice as the DLH and the GC. I think the DLR hotels are "worth" the money if you can afford it. EMH is the biggest perk. There are several motels that are closer to the gate than the DLR hotels, but they are small older hotels. For the most part they are clean and basic. Our family usually stays at one of them the day before we check into an onsite hotel. This way we can get to the DLR hotel early in the morning, get our room assignment, and utilize EMH the day we check -in. It saves $$$ and we get the more use of the EMH perks on check in day. As for DLH vs GC, everybody has their own favorite. I like the GC for distance to parks and decor.

If your kids are younger than teens then you want to stay at DLH. It is my new favorite. The rooms are bigger than GC and the whole place is geared toward families. The GC seems more for grownups. The rooms are smaller and you can end up forty miles from the lobby.

If you can afford to do it...its worth it! Even if its just one trip and then the next you can do a good neighbor. You have to experience the magic at least once!!! You might want to purchase an annual pass. The money you save with the discounts for hotel, food, merchandise might pay for itself!!!

Sure it's worth it, but if you can't afford it, don't pressure yourself. The Good Neighbor hotels aren't that bad :) we have always stayed on property, but this last Christmas, airfare was so outrageous, I just couldn't justify the cost. We were pleasantly surprised with the Good Neighborhood hotel we chose. Granted, we didn't swim, but we had a nice pleasant stay.

The Hilton also has a nice water park area now also.

I usually compare prices and decide if it is worth it to me. We have stayed in the past, and for us, it simply isn't. Our preference is Residence Inn Maingate, but the pool is simply a pool (open 24/7.) I can get a 2 bedroom suite (800 sf), with a hot breakfast every morning, and free grocery shopping (and laundry available) for about $120 a night cheaper than the standard 300sf room at the DLH. When you are staying longer than a couple days, that extra space is worth it...

For our first family trip to DLR back in 2005 I splurged on the Disneyland Hotel. It was important to me for that first visit to be onsite.
Since that time we have stayed off site and on, depending on the price and if I could justify it.
But for that first time I am so glad we did onsite. Plus, the onsite early entry happening now is a huge plus for Carsland.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and just book DLH. Part of our trips is always lots of pool time (especially since we'll be there for five days) and we're so spoiled by all of the WDW pools I think we should just go for it. We'll also be there during spring break (just after Easter) so crowds will be an issue and the EMH will be key.
Thank you!!

I don't think you will be disappointed. We were there last week. Rooms are big, my kids loved the pool and EMH was so good. We rode TS three times after RSR with no wait at all.

I think it's absolutely worth it! My friend and I (both will be 19) will be stretching out $$ so we can stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel during our 7 day Disneyland stay. To me the use of Early Entry will be invaluable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter