Another Use Year Question

goneviral

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are huge fans of Top Chef and 1980s music, which is my way of saying we like the Food and Wine Festival.

My brother and his wife are the primary reason we are joining DVC. They have been members for 7 years now and very much want us to join. Our first planned trip with them is in early May.

What Use Year should we target if we intend to vacation at Disney World in May and early October?

I'm thinking April would be your best bet - 11 months on you may trips and still 6 on your October trips. Leaves the most time in case you need to cancel and you can bank even if you change plans in October.

An April UY gives you until the end of November to bank your points each year.

:earsboy: Bill

One other consideration that might make a difference, especially if you think you might want to add-on at a specific resort, is the distribution of use years. Whether you add-on resale or get on a waitlist with Disney, you'll have an easier time adding on with a use year that there's more of out there. BLT is the most skewed - almost 40% of the points are in the February use year.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/owning-dvc/2014-updated-points-distribution-by-use-year

What Use Year should we target if we intend to vacation at Disney World in May and early October?
We usually go during those same two months and occasionally in early December or the end of January. We chose an October Use Year and it suits us perfectly. Our banking deadline is May 31st so it works well for trips from October through May.

So Oct would be good for fall, winter, spring travellers?
It works well if you travel from October through May. If you travel in September then a September UY would work well for trips from September through April. During which months of the year do you expect to travel?

It works well if you travel from October through May. If you travel in September then a September UY would work well for trips from September through April. During which months of the year do you expect to travel?

Good point. The girls were born in August so perhaps I should consider that... we are thinking food & wine festival, christmas season, early spring. Our family is new, but i have a long history of visiting WDW, most trips Jan - March

Good point. The girls were born in August so perhaps I should consider that... we are thinking food & wine festival, christmas season, early spring. Our family is new, but i have a long history of visiting WDW, most trips Jan - March

The thing to keep in mind is that there's no such thing as a perfect UY. Pick the best one you can for the way you vacation now. But over the course of the contract, your travel habits may change. UY is only a big deal when you have to cancel.

In addition to cancelling a reservation, your UY comes into play if you use the wait list for a less expensive room than you have already booked. If you plan to bank the returned points, your UY will determine how long you can stay on the wait list since you can only bank points during the first 8 months of your UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter