Another tipping question....

Kathi OD

<marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl
DH and I went out to an early dinner today - just to this little diner in our town - nothing fancy at all. Anyway our meals come and mine just doesn't taste right, but I've been on medication and thought maybe the meds were throwing my taste buds off a bit. After about 6 bites, I ask DH to please taste the meat. He looks at me and says it tastes "off," but to let him try another bite. He says that yeah, something is definitely wrong with it.

So we call the waitress over and let her know. I take my fries off the plate and she takes away the meat portion of the meal, apologizes, and asks if I'd like something else. Well, I really didn't want anything else...after that, I just wasn't so hungry, so I told her no, but thank you.

When she brings the bill, she has not charged us for my meal. I'm happy. DH is happy. The ownership did what we consider the right thing. Now, it's time to leave the tip and DH wants to leave a tip based only on his meal. :scared: I want to leave the tip based on what we ordered, after all, it's not the waitress's fault that the meat was tainted and she did offer to replace it with something else. He's annoyed that we ended up leaving a tip of what was 40% of the bill. I think that it was the right thing to do.

Sooooooooooooo.....was DH just being a cheapo or was he right?

DH and I went out to an early dinner today - just to this little diner in our town - nothing fancy at all. Anyway our meals come and mine just doesn't taste right, but I've been on medication and thought maybe the meds were throwing my taste buds off a bit. After about 6 bites, I ask DH to please taste the meat. He looks at me and says it tastes "off," but to let him try another bite. He says that yeah, something is definitely wrong with it.

So we call the waitress over and let her know. I take my fries off the plate and she takes away the meat portion of the meal, apologizes, and asks if I'd like something else. Well, I really didn't want anything else...after that, I just wasn't so hungry, so I told her no, but thank you.

When she brings the bill, she has not charged us for my meal. I'm happy. DH is happy. The ownership did what we consider the right thing. Now, it's time to leave the tip and DH wants to leave a tip based only on his meal. :scared: I want to leave the tip based on what we ordered, after all, it's not the waitress's fault that the meat was tainted and she did offer to replace it with something else. He's annoyed that we ended up leaving a tip of what was 40% of the bill. I think that it was the right thing to do.

Sooooooooooooo.....was DH just being a cheapo or was he right?

I would have done the same thing. I would have tipped based on what would have been the original price of the meal. The waitress did provide you with good service.

Considering how helpful and considerate the waitress was, I think you did the right thing..:thumbsup2

I was taught to always tip on the full price of the meal (this includes price before discounts, coupons, etc.). It sounds like your server did the right thing by you so I would have no problem tipping the full amount. Just because a plate was sent back, doesn't mean that the server didn't do the same amount of work (if not more by taking care of having the item removed from the bill). Can you tell I've worked in food?::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter