Another Stroller Question....

laurafaith

Mouseketeer
Hey all we are planning our trip for late OCT...CANT WAIT!!!

last time we were down was last feb -- and we rented a double stroller from a great company -- Orlando stroller (I think) == this time I think we will only need a single -- my 3 boys will be 12, 8 and just turning 4. my question is what do you like better -- bringing a stroller from home, renting from a company there, or going with a Disney stroller -- the only thing that seems nice about getting a Disney 1 is not having to carry 1 on and off the buses! but they look very uncomfortable? what is your opinion -- thanks!

Rent one for sure!! We are doing it and it's already been less of a headache to not think about lugging it through security, on the shuttle at the airport, to the gate, asking for a gate tag..one less thing lol. In fact we are checking on extra bag so we have no carry on as well haha

We enjoyed taking our own. It was a full size stroller with some storage space and cup holders. It folded small enough we just slid it in front of our knees on bus and boat rides. We gate checked it for free on the plane. It really just depends on how much you think you will use it and if storage will be a necessity for you. I don't think the park strollers have storage and they are hard.

If we go when we plan to and our youngest is 4 I plan on bringing one. We have a small stroller and I'd kind of like it for the airport as well, plus then I won't feel bad if we don't really use it because we didn't spend any more money on it.

If you need it at the airport take yours, if not rent. My take is for 3 and up is probably better to rent unless you have along flight. The Disney strollers are uncomfortable and very expensive. Plus you may be pushing a sleeping kiddo out of the park at the end of the day. For our next trip DS will be 4 and I am renting a Citi Mini from Apple strollers for $5 a day including insurance. For that price I don't feel bad not bringing mine and I know the Citi Mini is comfortable and very easy to fold.

When we took our 4.5 yo daughter my husband was dead against the stroller and I was shocked but she did just fine without it. I was pregnant so he did the bulk of the sleep carrying! But we were very proud of her dealing with it and it was wayyyyyyy better than schlepping around a stroller. This time we have a very different and only 3 yo child who will most definitely need a stroller to keep pace with us and rest. My thought is it will be useful in the airports as well, especially if we have connecting flights. I prefer him buckled up and contained with the airport crowds. So that's why I've wondered why renting is so popular. This stroller was used and abused for many years in NYC and on and off trains and subways so I think the buses won't prove to be an issue.

I have had to travel with my 16 month old a few times this year. I like to take her stoller because she is comfortable with it however I only take her stroller if it is going to be a direct flight or a long layover. If your layover is tight I don't recommend bringing your own. Twice this year we have almost missed connections waiting for the stroller (Atlanta always seems to take the longest) i truely believe if it wasnt for my diamond status and first class ticket, we would have missed the the first flight, i was the last one to board and the gentleman next to me said they had been waiting ten minutes.
There are great places to rent strollers in Orlando so you are safe renting one.
Just my two cents.

We just went in February. We took our stroller with us. It definitely took a beating on the plane as there were a couple of times the closing mechanisms failed. It worked fine beforehand, but it made some miserable moments on our adventure. Next time, we'll rent.

We are kinda in the same situation this year. Last year we did a stroller for both...last year they were 6 and 4. This year, I think DD, who will turn 8 on our trip, will walk so we just need a single for DS who obviously will be 5 this trip. I went back and forth and will rent for a couple reasons.

1) even though its more expensive to rent, I don't plan on any more babies, don't want to store a stroller at home.

2) by renting, I can get a CitiMini GT, which is fabulous (that is the double we rented last year). Plus I read the 2014 model has a 65lb weight limit. My DD is pretty skinny (50lbs) so she can ride when tired, even though she might be a bit tall and may need to squeeze. I doubt I could find a cost effective stroller to buy that she could even squeeze into.

3) We drive, but even if we flew, I don't need a stroller for either kid for moderate walking. So I don't want to deal with it while travelling by car or plane. I only need it for the miles and miles of Disney.

4) I agree that hauling strollers on the buses are a pain, but worth it for hauling tired, whining or sleeping kids back to the room. Plus a single is so much easier to haul than the double.

For you, if you know only the 4 yo will ride, you could go either way. If you think you need one for the 4 yo for the airport, you could get a cheaper, much lighter weight one such as this http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant...27385479&sr=8-3&keywords=first+years+stroller
It has a 50 lb weight limit. If you think the 8 yo may need a ride to catch an occasional break, consider renting if he will fit. Plus, for around the same price as renting, you have stroller to use next year, etc.

Hope that helps!

We are kinda in the same situation this year. Last year we did a stroller for both...last year they were 6 and 4. This year, I think DD, who will turn 8 on our trip, will walk so we just need a single for DS who obviously will be 5 this trip. I went back and forth and will rent for a couple reasons.

1) even though its more expensive to rent, I don't plan on any more babies, don't want to store a stroller at home.

2) by renting, I can get a CitiMini GT, which is fabulous (that is the double we rented last year). Plus I read the 2014 model has a 65lb weight limit. My DD is pretty skinny (50lbs) so she can ride when tired, even though she might be a bit tall and may need to squeeze. I doubt I could find a cost effective stroller to buy that she could even squeeze into.

3) We drive, but even if we flew, I don't need a stroller for either kid for moderate walking. So I don't want to deal with it while travelling by car or plane. I only need it for the miles and miles of Disney.

4) I agree that hauling strollers on the buses are a pain, but worth it for hauling tired, whining or sleeping kids back to the room. Plus a single is so much easier to haul than the double.

For you, if you know only the 4 yo will ride, you could go either way. If you think you need one for the 4 yo for the airport, you could get a cheaper, much lighter weight one such as this http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant...27385479&sr=8-3&keywords=first+years+stroller
It has a 50 lb weight limit. If you think the 8 yo may need a ride to catch an occasional break, consider renting if he will fit. Plus, for around the same price as renting, you have stroller to use next year, etc.

Hope that helps!
We have a Maclaren similar to the on you linked to. We've had it for years so I don't worry about abusing or honestly even losing it. I will pay attn to our connections to make sure we have enough time to wait for the gate check. But I think going through the airport will be better in the stroller.

We're planning our first family trip in May and will rent one. We've got 6, 4, and 8 month old kids. We have a direct flight so baby will be in a carrier and the kids are fine walking. But I'm thinking about renting a double stroller for the trip because I can see the 4 year old taking a nap in one (and it would be nice to have the extra storage space)

I didn't know what I wanted to do our last trip, my kids were 6 and just turned 5. Did I want a double or single. I decided to wait and see how my kids did and if after a day or two my youngest didn't do well, we'd have a rental delivered to our hotel (we were there for 10 days). We were pleasantly surprised that both kids did fantastic and the only time we carried the little guy was after the fireworks one night.

We just followed their pace and it was the best trip we ever took. Can't wait to go back. Enjoy!

I have rented twice. First time my son was 10 months old and I rented a City Mini mainly because I had his car seat for the plane ride and couldn’t handle both the car seat and stroller in the airport being the only adult. Also though because his regular stroller at that time wasn’t very easy to fold and I knew the City Mini was. It was very easy I wore him and carried the stroller with one hand on the bus.

I fell in love with that stroller so by the time we went back to Disney a year and a half later we had our own, which I used for that trip and the next one (age 2.5 and 3.5). Our City Mini has been on a lot of adventures and was starting to show signs of wear so last trip when my son was 4.5, I figured he was okay to walk the airport so I went back to renting. Super nice to go through the airport without equipment. And we have a direct flight when we go to Orlando; so it was off the plane directly to DME. He did fall asleep on the Magical Express ride back to the airport after our trip, which was my one concern knowing I wouldn’t be able to carry him far; but, he was good about waking up. since it was midday.
I’m sure I’ll stick with renting for Disney. Now he’s 5 and stroller free at home unless we go to our Zoo (it’s really large with some steep hills) or a large amusement park in the summer. He’s also of course getting taller and not fitting in the City Mini like he used to even though he is still 10 pounds under the weight limit.

At Disney the stroller is a retreat for him as much as it is a place to ride. So, we’ll go with the GT next time. On two trips he has passed out at the moment of the last pop of Wishes and I know I wouldn't make it back to the resort carrying him.

I just don't know what to do for our family. Our children will be 6.5 and 2.5. We have an umbrella stroller we brought with us 4 years ago and was thinking of doing just that. My concern is if our 6.5 year old can keep up with all of the walking. I don't want to have to take our 2.5 out of the stroller and carry her for her brother to ride in it. However, what if he doesn't want to get in the stroller and we have waster the money? Any thoughts on this?

I just don't know what to do for our family. Our children will be 6.5 and 2.5. We have an umbrella stroller we brought with us 4 years ago and was thinking of doing just that. My concern is if our 6.5 year old can keep up with all of the walking. I don't want to have to take our 2.5 out of the stroller and carry her for her brother to ride in it. However, what if he doesn't want to get in the stroller and we have waster the money? Any thoughts on this?

I'd just take or rent a single when you are there. If you have to have one for your big kid, rent a Disney one for the day and then see if you can rent a double from one of the outside companies

I'm renting a Citi Mini double for my 5YO and 3YO. I think it's great. Not having to worry about lugging it through the airport. I think the 5YO may get tired of walking. My only concern will be keeping the 8YO out of it :P It'll be a retreat if crowds get too much, great seat for watching fireworks, and for naps too.

Haha! I showed my son a picture of the double and asked him if he would ride in it at Disneyworld. He enthusiastically said yes. I think he was more excited about the idea of riding in a stroller with his sister than he is about some of the rides. I had a feeling if she was riding he would want to as well, so we will definitely be renting a double. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey all we are planning our trip for late OCT...CANT WAIT!!!

last time we were down was last feb -- and we rented a double stroller from a great company -- Orlando stroller (I think) == this time I think we will only need a single -- my 3 boys will be 12, 8 and just turning 4. my question is what do you like better -- bringing a stroller from home, renting from a company there, or going with a Disney stroller -- the only thing that seems nice about getting a Disney 1 is not having to carry 1 on and off the buses! but they look very uncomfortable? what is your opinion -- thanks!

I prefer renting from an offsite company. We don't like dealing with the stroller in the airport (I generally wear DD in a carrier), but we do want a stroller to and from the hotel (which rules out Disney strollers). The strollers from offsite companies are more comfortable as well. We've rented from Kingdom Strollers and Apple Strollers and had great experiences with both of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter