Another stressed new cruiser!

RMoneyTheHBomb

Mouseketeer
Booked our first cruise! 3 nights on the dream in November.

Is there a good guide book or goto site? We hav been going through the boards and trying to pickup as much as possible. Can you get the navigators ahead if time? How does a wdw veteran in unfamiliar waters plan all the entertainment and going ons?

Excited but stressed!

Is there a good guide book or goto site? We hav been going through the boards and trying to pickup as much as possible. Can you get the navigators ahead if time? How does a wdw veteran in unfamiliar waters plan all the entertainment and going ons?

Excited but stressed!

First, relax. As I said on another thread, don't try to do everything, you can't.

Just enjoy what you can do.

The Navigators are printed onboard daily, and will be in your room each night for the next day. If you want an idea of what may be offered, you can check the Navigators link on the "Staterooms" tab in the red bar near the top of the page.

The Passporter is a good resource guide to have with you. Be aware that some of the information in it is inaccurate due to things changing since it was written, as well as there simply being a lot of information covered. I have noticed incorrect information in past editions based on our own experience. However, it will have deck plans, port excursion information and other info that at least on your first cruise will let you reference it while traveling to your cruise for those last-minute checks. I brought it with us on our first cruise, but not after that.

PrincessShmoo said:
First, relax. As I said on another thread, don't try to do everything, you can't.

The Navigators are printed onboard daily, and will be in your room each night for the next day. If you want an idea of what may be offered, you can check the Navigators link on the "Staterooms" tab in the red bar near the top of the page.

Good advise. They won't be able to do everything. Bring a highlighter with you. That way you can highlight all the things you and your family want to do. A 3 day cruise goes by so fast. The best advice I can give you is relax and just do things on a whim. There is no way you will be able to do everything. One other thing is make sure you go to the show every night. They are amazing.

Excited but stressed!

Congratulations on booking your first cruise. I'm sure it seems overwhelming but its really easy. :sail:

As far as a "goto site" goes, you won't find any better than right here on the DIS. Spend some time reading the various posts and asking questions where things aren't clear. Just know that everybody has a different perspective and what works for one may not be the best for you.

In the end you need to know that you will not see/do everything. Its just not possible. Besides, it gives you a good excuse to book the next one. :boat:

RMoneyTheHBomb said:
Thanks everyone. Quick question. Are there shows every night?

Don't miss the first show. If you have the Golden Mickeys the first night, be sure and get plenty of rest so you can make it to it. Mom missed it because she didn't know she would have time after the show before late seating dinner. She never had much positive to say about the other shows. (Understandably walked out of Villians opening sequence and Believe was just OK.)

Also we didn't know about Cabanas lunch and grabbed a quick burger and panini from Flos. We were rushed before muster so I would do that differently.

We loved the fiesta party and the family karaoke.

We dressed as pirates but didn't know about the live action show before the fireworks. So get up deck early so you don't get a poor visible spot cuz its packed up there. Also save room for pirate buffet, the two of us twinkies missed it.

I also wanted to order a mickey bar for desert but forgot.

Sit in the front of tram on castaway. My parents half fell out of the tram in the back because it took off before they got on fully.

Otherwise everything was spectacular to us. Don't miss your animators dinner for cabanas or palo or something.

Bring some drinks with you like wine so you can enjoy in your room. (I discreetly took to show too).

Enjoy every moment and get plenty of sleep the morning of embarkation. You can't get on before 11 anyway n rooms aren't ready til 1:30 and you have to wait in line . with only 3 day cruise, you don't want to be exhausted that first night and miss a third of the trip...

Excellent advise, especially on a 3 day, time will go by very quickly. As another post mentioned, in addition to these threads, Passporter is a very good resource. ::yes::
Enjoy your cruise......

There is a pirate deck party between dinner seatings also with the Fab Five & friends.

Thanks all. Question. Can kids order off the adult menu at the restaurants? Not so impressed with the theme park type food they are offering up.

Going on my 9th cruise on DCL and 35th reg cruise. Don't miss the shows the unique dining and of course the pirate show with fireworks. We do not eat at Palo or Remy just not my cup of tea if I want to eat pricy like that I will do that at home. Don't stress if you did not do something.you can book another cruise while on the ship.

CruznLexi said:
Going on my 9th cruise on DCL and 35th reg cruise. Don't miss the shows the unique dining and of course the pirate show with fireworks. We do not eat at Palo or Remy just not my cup of tea if I want to eat pricy like that I will do that at home. Don't stress if you did not do something.you can book another cruise while on the ship.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I enjoyed my MDRs on the Dream because at least it wasn't banquet tomatoey style food like RCCL it CCL.

I remember the days when the whole point of a cruise was the fancy dining that was included. In the last 20 yrs, they started adding options you could pay for at the dining room, which I thought was getting odd, and now they have full restaurants for upcharges. Or coffee houses and pastries (sometimes) that you have to pay for. Then you add the tipping on top of your trip (as you always did but more stuff was included) and I'm like what in the world. Its not getting cheaper and less and less is being included now. For a few yrs, CCL included cappuccino or espresso with your dessert. Now that has an up charge as well. I just think we are being bamboozled into thinking that paying for fine dining is exciting and great when that is what the standard used to be to begin with. Its not the business model I intend to support. My cruise includes my dinner. Its going to be very very difficult to get me out of that old school mentality. These just my opinions...

Honestly, on a 3 day I would plan as much "down time" on the ship as possible. You will need some time just lounging by the pool, doing nothing but sipping fruity drinks and enjoying the experience (or on your Verandah, much more quiet).

Trust me, the 3 days will go FAST. Extend it a little by not rushing yourself too much. :)

My advise is to stay on the ship if you are going to Nassau and enjoy the ship! Bring money to
Put down a deposit for your next cruise....trust me you'll want to go again!

Congrats! View the posted navigators & read trip reports. That what helped me. I also made a schedule using the posted navigators. I knew i wasn't going to follow it to the letter but it made me feel organized. Look up any question you may have here on Dis. And don't forget this is suppose to be fun its vacation try not to stress :)

congrats, & breathe,,, like PP said it goes quickly and reviewing navigators before you go will give u a feel for the kinds of things that happen and you can figure out what kinds of things are important for your family to do. The shows are amazing, and not to be missed. IMO while movies are great, I can spend time watching a movie at home and unless it was a 7 day cruise I would'nt go to one unless I was sitting in my deck chair watching funnelvision w a drink lol.
our first 3 nite Dream cruise last yr I came to these boards and just read and read so I had an idea, it worked great for us and we did a LOT, but not everything. our 2nd cruise last month we were pros, LOL and we did some of the same and also enjoyed some new things, but again not everything!

ONe thing I will say I did the first time and will never do again is get your childs club wristband in the terminal,,, we waited forever even though I pre registereed her. This past trip, I skipped that, when we were ready to take her to kids club I just walked her up there and got her band w maybe 5 min wait! LOVED that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter