• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another story about WHY you should not leave kids in the car alone

Hannathy said:
I understand not leaving a baby in the car but there is no reason in a safe area that a 5-6 yr old can't wait in the car while I run in somewhere for a couple minutes. Why would you have to keep an eye on her? as long as the car is locked and she is behaved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/young-boy-dies-in-carjacking/

This is why I would never leave a young child in a car alone, even just for a few minutes. This happened when I was a teenager while I was visiting relatives in the area this occurred. It has haunted me so much that as I had my own child who is now 7 and a responsible kid, I would still never leave her in the car alone- even just to run in to a convenience store.

I don't recall saying that I have never experienced any problems or that every single trip to the grocery store can be done in 5 minutes. :confused3
You said "there are no quick trips to the grocery store", and that just isn't true. Not sure what you want to argue about, your wrong just accept that.

Ok I will revise my statement....you can never be guarateed a quick trip to the grocery store bc other circumstances may prevent you from getting your milk, oj and bread in 5 minutes....SO dont leave your kids in the car alone bc a few minutes may turn into more.

I can imagine what her response might be....
"but officer according to the DISBoards I shouldnt bring my screaming child into the store, so what was I suppose to do?"

What in the world is so hard about taking your kids into the store with you? In what universe is it preferable to leave little kids in the car, where who knows what can happen to them? It's a STORE, not a minefield. Just grab their hand and take them along.

And if they are crying or throwing a fit, act accordingly. Sit in the car with them until they calm down or go home without your bag of groceries. A misbehaving young child is not a good candidate to leave alone in the car.

I just don't understand how a parent can weigh taking the kid(s) with them against leaving them in the car and "leave them in the car" WINS......:confused3

On Wednesday I was walking into the grocery store and noticed a police car in the lot blocking a car in.
The officer was standing there waiting for the person to come out of the grocery store and kept checking the inside of the vehicle.

A woman came out with a fully loaded cart and freaked out. OMG is she ok? She kept saying.

I went into the store before I heard the officers response but that lady was lucky that it was a chilly overcast day with temps only in the early 60's. That is probably why he didn't break a window to get in.

If it had been today and she did that, her child (if that is what was in the car) might not have made it. It was in the high 70's today so the inside of that car would have heated up fast.

I wish people would think and use common sense. But I've noticed that common sense isn't so common anymore.

What in the world is so hard about taking your kids into the store with you? In what universe is it preferable to leave little kids in the car, where who knows what can happen to them? It's a STORE, not a minefield. Just grab their hand and take them along.

And if they are crying or throwing a fit, act accordingly. Sit in the car with them until they calm down or go home without your bag of groceries. A misbehaving young child is not a good candidate to leave alone in the car.

I just don't understand how a parent can weigh taking the kid(s) with them against leaving them in the car and "leave them in the car" WINS......:confused3

Because the 3 year old is asleep would be one reason. Because it's raining cats and dogs, or snowy and icy. And you have to buckle car seats and undo car seats. You move much more quickly as a single adult.

7 and 3 are too young in my book, especially with the key in.

But I routinely left my son in the car in our driveway or garage when I got home from errands and he was asleep. I just rolled down the windows, weather permitting, and let him finish his nap there instead of waking him. I know several people who did this, in fact, with their kids.

I understand not leaving a baby in the car but there is no reason in a safe area that a 5-6 yr old can't wait in the car while I run in somewhere for a couple minutes. Why would you have to keep an eye on her? as long as the car is locked and she is behaved.

:furious::furious:
Why would you have to keep an eye on a 5 yr old?? Did you seriously just ask that? I'll pretend you didn't. No wait, I'll answer it. I don't know, maybe to prevent a kidnapping? Do you leave her at home without a babysitter too? I'm stunned and I'm going to try and forget I just read that.:confused3

:furious::furious:
Why would you have to keep an eye on a 5 yr old?? Did you seriously just ask that? I'll pretend you didn't. No wait, I'll answer it. I don't know, maybe to prevent a kidnapping? Do you leave her at home without a babysitter too? I'm stunned and I'm going to try and forget I just read that.:confused3

So you never leave the room your 5-year-old is in? She never plays outside?

Ok I will revise my statement....you can never be guarateed a quick trip to the grocery store bc other circumstances may prevent you from getting your milk, oj and bread in 5 minutes....SO dont leave your kids in the car alone bc a few minutes may turn into more.

I definitely agree and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh before.

My kids are older, my dd is old enough to drive now so I don't think I'll have any issues leaving her in the car :)

When did we talk about leaving a 5 yr old in a room in your home? Did you read this thread, we're talking about going into a grocery store and leaving your 5 yr old in the car. That is not okay. And the friendly officer will let you know that in not so friendly terms. Don't leave your children behind because it's inconvenient. All it takes is a second for someone to snatch them up and they're gone.

What a bunch of overreacters on this thread. Geez. My mom used to leave me, my sister, AND my two brothers in the car while she ran into the store for a few minutes. It never crossed our mind to touch the steering wheel or the pedals. She usually left the keys in too so we could listen to the radio. We probably did this starting when I was 11-12:confused3 and there's 10 years between the four of us so my youngest brother could have been 1 or 2.

When did we talk about leaving a 5 yr old in a room in your home? Did you read this thread, we're talking about going into a grocery store and leaving your 5 yr old in the car. That is not okay. And the friendly officer will let you know that in not so friendly terms. Don't leave your children behind because it's inconvenient. All it takes is a second for someone to snatch them up and they're gone.

How often does this actually happen?
You hear about things like the story in the OP, or the awful one about the boy being dragged but how many kids/babies are kidnapped from their cars while their parent runs into a store? Is there an epidemic I haven't heard about?

Exactly! You know what, trips to the grocery store are RARELY quick. Does a parent really want to gamble your childs life and take that chance????

Im just as confused as you are. :confused3 I dont get it either.

:lmao: You cant be serious with that question. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we're talking about. its absolutely not the same thing.

You hear about things like the story in the OP, or the awful one about the boy being dragged but how many kids/babies are kidnapped from their cars while their parent runs into a store? Is there an epidemic I haven't heard about?
So youre comfortable taking that chance? You know, i bet every parent who had an incident with leaving their kids in the car alone thought the exact same thing. "oh, i'll only be about 5 minutes. It wont take long. the kids will be fine". "that sort of thing rarely happens. Its just 5 minutes" Every year in the summer time we hear about some poor baby that has serious injuries or has died because some idiot left them in the car for "five minutes".

What a bunch of overreacters on this thread. Geez. My mom used to leave me, my sister, AND my two brothers in the car while she ran into the store for a few minutes. It never crossed our mind to touch the steering wheel or the pedals. She usually left the keys in too so we could listen to the radio. We probably did this starting when I was 11-12:confused3 and there's 10 years between the four of us so my youngest brother could have been 1 or 2.

You were the age of a middle school babysitter watching your younger siblings while your mom was running an errand. That's a far cry from a 1st grader left alone with a toddler sibling.

So youre comfortable taking that chance? You know, i bet every parent who had an incident with leaving their kids in the car alone thought the exact same thing. "oh, i'll only be about 5 minutes. It wont take long. the kids will be fine". "that sort of thing rarely happens. Its just 5 minutes" Every year in the summer time we hear about some poor baby that has serious injuries or has died because some idiot left them in the car for "five minutes".

My kids are older and I have no problem leaving them in my car.
That being said, throughout their lives I have taken chances any number of times. The first time they played in the yard without me, when I let them walk to their friends house, or letting them ride their bike on the street.
Now its bigger things, like letting them ride dirt bikes and go-carts, shoot their airsoft guns, or let my dd drive on the busy street, etc.
I refuse to live in fear of something rare happening so yes I'd take that chance. Would I leave a 3 and 7 year old in the car with the keys in the ignition, heck no. Would I leave a 7 and 10 year old in the car, with no keys and the doors locked for 5 to 10 minutes, yes I would and have when they were that age. The chances of them getting snatched up is so small that I'm not going to worry too much about it. You are free to keep your kids with you and never out of your sight for fear that they are going to be abducted, but I refuse to live that way and I refuse to make my kids live that way.

You were the age of a middle school babysitter watching your younger siblings while your mom was running an errand. That's a far cry from a 1st grader left alone with a toddler sibling.

^^^This - not even remotely the same as leaving a 5-year-old in charge.

Because the 3 year old is asleep would be one reason. Because it's raining cats and dogs, or snowy and icy. And you have to buckle car seats and undo car seats. You move much more quickly as a single adult.
7 and 3 are too young in my book, especially with the key in.

But I routinely left my son in the car in our driveway or garage when I got home from errands and he was asleep. I just rolled down the windows, weather permitting, and let him finish his nap there instead of waking him. I know several people who did this, in fact, with their kids.

None!!!! of them are valid reasons in my book to leave children ALONE in a car with the keys in the ignition. No child is going to be harmed, do damge, or be carjacked/kidnapped from being awaken or getting wet.

I definitely agree and I'm sorry if I sounded harsh before.

My kids are older, my dd is old enough to drive now so I don't think I'll have any issues leaving her in the car :)

:) DS16 is learning... a new set of worries for us parents!

I hear enough stories esp in the warmer months to make me take notice and wish these parents would not do something like this.

My kids are older and I have no problem leaving them in my car.
That being said, throughout their lives I have taken chances any number of times. The first time they played in the yard without me, when I let them walk to their friends house, or letting them ride their bike on the street.
Now its bigger things, like letting them ride dirt bikes and go-carts, shoot their airsoft guns, or let my dd drive on the busy street, etc.
I refuse to live in fear of something rare happening so yes I'd take that chance. Would I leave a 3 and 7 year old in the car with the keys in the ignition, heck no. Would I leave a 7 and 10 year old in the car, with no keys and the doors locked for 5 to 10 minutes, yes I would and have when they were that age. The chances of them getting snatched up is so small that I'm not going to worry too much about it. You are free to keep your kids with you and never out of your sight for fear that they are going to be abducted, but I refuse to live that way and I refuse to make my kids live that way.

When the kids are a certain age it may not be up to you, it may be up to the police officer to determine.

Would you leave your car running with the keys in the ignition at a grocery store WITHOUT your kids in the car, than WHY would one consider doing this with kids in the car! In both scenarios you are risking your car and now your children form being taken.

Wow. I couldn't imagine why she would leave such small children alone in a car. I have 10, 8 and 1 year boys. I don't even leave them in the car yet.

How often does this actually happen? You hear about things like the story in the OP, or the awful one about the boy being dragged but how many kids/babies are kidnapped from their cars while their parent runs into a store? Is there an epidemic I haven't heard about?

Recently in our very nice Chicago suburb, a mom left her 5 year old son in the car in their own driveway. He was asleep and she was taking groceries into her house, steps away on a resident iota street in a nice neighborhood. Car was still running because it was super cold outside. A man came out if nowhere and stole the car with this child in the back. Amber alert put out, mom beside herself. Luckily the thief abandoned the car with the now awake and terrified child in it about 15 minutes away in a neighboring town. But he wasn't found for hours. So, crazy stuff does happen. Hopefully not often but why take a chance with small (under age 10) children?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter