Another spin-off, anybody admit that they wish they had named their kid(s) something different?

Once my son hit grade school it became obvious that his name was too common. There were 10 boys (six classes) with the same name. He had to go by his name an initial for grade school. I regretted at that point. Still like his name though.

I love the "old lady" names we picked for our girls--Margaret and Eleanor. Eleanor is becoming more popular these days, but oh well. I get lots of compliments on their "classic" names.

We wanted something timeless and more adult, as opposed to something cutesie that might seem immature as an adult. Both names also lend themselves to a variety of nick names should they choose to go by one in the future.

We just found out yesterday that we are expecting a third little girl. I was really looking forward to picking a boy name (Samuel, Matthew, August were at the top of my list) but alas, another girl name to choose. I would love Josephine or Beatrice but my husband has vetoed those, other than Beatrice as a possible middle name.

Beautiful names. Charlotte would go well with Margaret and Eleanor, though it's also become quite popular.

I have a Matthew. He became Matt<last name> by the time he was in middle school. I do still like the name, though.

I've always heard if it's Julianna, it's pronounced Julie-Anna and if it's Juliana, it's pronounce Julie-Ahna. Maybe they've heard the same thing as me. :) For some reason, I've not heard that applied to any other name besides Julianna/Juliana. I mean it's Die-Anna, not Die-Ahna.

Uh oh, maybe we've been saying it wrong all along:scared1: - don't tell my daughter!

I still love both my boys names. I do however wish other people didn't love my youngest sons name so much. ;) We didn't know anyone with his name when he was born, and now there are so many of them he has to go by his first and last name at school. Last initial won't do, because there are multiple boys with his first name and same last initial!

Beautiful names. Charlotte would go well with Margaret and Eleanor, though it's also become quite popular.

I have a Matthew. He became Matt<last name> by the time he was in middle school. I do still like the name, though.

Thanks! I've thought of Charlotte but it sounds really silly with our last name.

I don't regret my boys' names (except that now Tristan is becoming popular with girls.... *sigh*) but my husband does wish he had SPELLED his older son's name the common way with a C instead of with a K. I agree with him.

Nope. I liked the name when our son was young. And now that he is an adult, I still like it.

He was named after my father. My father passed 5 years ago, so the name has special meaning to me.

Now, I do wished that when I got married instead of just taking my husband's name, I had also dropped my middle name and bumped my maiden name to the middle.

Nope. I liked the name when our son was young. And now that he is an adult, I still like it.

He was named after my father. My father passed 5 years ago, so the name has special meaning to me.

Now, I do wished that when I got married instead of just taking my husband's name, I had also dropped my middle name and bumped my maiden name to the middle.

The registrar's office was going to charge us 20 dollars to have me change my name to my husband's name, so I kept my maiden name and saved a little bit of money!

I don't regret it, but there have been times when it would have been convenient to have the same last name as the rest of the family.

Nope. Still love DD7's name: Rachel Alexandra. Only one other Rachel at her school 2 grades above her. I have a common name with an uncommon spelling.

I have a Julianna too (obviously spelled "Julianna" instead of Juliana). I think it's a beautiful name. My Julianna is fair haired too but it may be brown by the time she's an adult. How do you pronounce your DD's name? We looked up the pronunciations ahead of time and supposedly Julianna is supposed to be pronounced "Julie-anna", but most people pronounce it "Julie-ah-nuh". Which is fine, we like both pronunciations and it's not a huge difference. Funnily enough the kids usually get it right, but it's the adults who use the other pronunciation. Do you use nicknames? Ours goes by her full name or "Jules".

Anyway, to answer the original question, I am happy with all three kids' names, although I kind of wish we hadn't chosen a name for our middle child that is almost always on the top 10 list, but we loved the name and it had special meaning. Interestingly enough even though it's supposedly so popular, I don't think more than one child in the whole school ever had the same name, and none in her class. My other two kids have never had any other kids in their class with the same name either, and no more than one other child in the whole school sharing their name.

Mine is pronounced Julie-Anna. Once in awhile we get Ahna, but it's rare.

Another "Juliana's mom" here, loved it when she was born and still do:)

We pronounce it like you do, Julia-Ana. I've noticed our Italian friends always say Julie-ah-na, which is also pretty, so either way is fine to me. It's just seems funny that they hear us pronounce it, yet give their own spin to it...I wonder if they think we say it wrong!

Our problem is that if people don't know, they always assume it has two "n's". That must be the more popular spelling. When I meet a Juliana/Julianna I always ask, one N or two? Just out of curiosity, lol.

My husband went to St. Juliana for elementary school, which is why that name may have been near and dear to him. They pronounce it Julie-Anna there as well, and that parish is 100 years old. From what I understand, Juliana is the original, European spelling and Julianna is Americanized.

It's such a great name. :)

My DD is Summar Lea (Summer Lee)..and my DS is William Francis after his grandfather's. They are usually the only one's with their names..
My DS started high school this year and he said there are 12 Brad's in his grade.

Nope. Like I said on another thread, my sons' names are my favorite boys' names. :goodvibes

My dd's name is my fave girl name since I was in middle school and it fits her perfectly. My youngest boy is my husband's fave name since childhood. I like it but it wouldn't be my choice of I were to name him on my own.I had always said I would never call my child by his/her middle name as my parents both go by their middle names and they say it is a pain. Well, my oldest boy is a 4th and both my DH and FIL go by their 1st name which doesn't lend itself to any obvious nicknames. The middle name is a bit old fashioned so we call him a variation of his middle name. I feel bad for the kid that he will have to explain his name on the 1st day of school, doctors office visits etc. But the name we call him fits him so at least there is that.

I still like the names we gave our daughters. Although I wanted to name the second one Laurel and my DH would NOT agree. I just asked him if he would have agreed to Lauren and he said probably. Darn. Why didn't I think of it then. We named her Lee Anne. She likes it, but says that people sometimes call her Lee.

I have never liked my name. I was named after my grandmother. No one has named their children after me. My two granddaughters have their other grandmother's names as their middle names. I am pleased to see that my name is making a comeback. I have also come to appreciate having a name that isn't quite as common.

Nora

I wish I could change my DS middle name. It is my DH first name and I wish it was my Dad's first name instead.

No accent. Maybe I need to get one so that I can overemphasis the AW in Dawn. A long southern drawl should do it. I will try that next time!

Although lately I have just started spelling it when I order. When they say "name?" I say "Dawn" D-A-W-N very distinctly.

Ok, this has been driving me crazy for five minutes. How do you say Don without an aw sound? They both sound the same to me.

For the record, marry/merry/Mary are all the same for me too.

No accent. Maybe I need to get one so that I can overemphasis the AW in Dawn. A long southern drawl should do it. I will try that next time!

Although lately I have just started spelling it when I order. When they say "name?" I say "Dawn" D-A-W-N very distinctly.

Out of curiosity, why does it matter how they spell it at a coffee shop? There are several ways to spell my name and I couldn't care less if someone I don't know and will only interact with in that capacity spells it wrong.

I love the "old lady" names we picked for our girls--Margaret and Eleanor. Eleanor is becoming more popular these days, but oh well. I get lots of compliments on their "classic" names.

We wanted something timeless and more adult, as opposed to something cutesie that might seem immature as an adult. Both names also lend themselves to a variety of nick names should they choose to go by one in the future.

We just found out yesterday that we are expecting a third little girl. I was really looking forward to picking a boy name (Samuel, Matthew, August were at the top of my list) but alas, another girl name to choose. I would love Josephine or Beatrice but my husband has vetoed those, other than Beatrice as a possible middle name.

I love both Margaret and Eleanor! I've loved the name Eleanor with the nickname Ellie for a long time (because of The West Wing) but due to some family things I will never be able to name a daughter that. I love the "older" classic names as well, especially when you can do a good nickname for when they're little.

Last edited:
I love both my kids names, the only thing I wished I had done differently, was add a 2nd middle name to my son. His name is Matthew James-which I love, my husband and FIL are James.
My husband's family always had a son named August in each generation. I originally thought we'd have a third child and boy or girl, I'd have August as the middle name..but we decided to stick with 2, and now I wished I had named my son Matthew James August.

Both my kids like their names, my daughter especially (Julia).

My oldest son is Matthew James. How funny! I love the name! We have a nice Irish last name to go with it.

My twins are Sean Michael & Steven Andrew...

I love them still. Actually, their middle names are the names I wanted as their first names lol, but for various reasons they became middle names. It's the spelling the boys have had to deal with. There's so many ways to spell Sean. Plus, he's annoyed that you can't make a nickname from his name. Steven just has to deal with one other spelling. We made sure we liked the nicknames that kids will inevitably use, too.

I know my mom regrets my middle name. I hate it. I've considered legally changing my middle name to my mom's maiden name, but it's not worth the hassle. Plus, I do like my initials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter