• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Spending Money ??

The Lion King

Hakuna Matata
I have been reading various threads about spending money for kids and charging to the room. I just want to be clear on my options.

My kids 9,8 and 5 have been earning 'disney dollars' at home for their spending money. I am thinking of taking them to the Disney store and getting a gift card with the amount they have earned plus a little extra from us for their spending money. It won't be very much on the cards so if they don't spend it all while we are there they can use them at the Disney store at home.

We are also taking our 17 yo nephew and I think he will do OK with keeping up with his spending money.

Now, for me and dh. I have separate money set aside for this trip in a savings account. I am wondering if I should bring cash, traveler's checks or a combination. If I bring cash can I deposit it at the resort and then get charging privileges? Could I charge the tips for our meals-we are on DDP.

Thanks, our trip is getting close-March 24th and I need to get these last few things taken care of. Thanks

Last year we did a combination of using disney dollars and charging to the room. We just put our credit card on reserve at the resort and charged tips, merchandise, snacks, etc to the room. At the end of the week, we could have paid at the front desk but we just decided to have them charge the credit card we had on file.

My daughter had earned disney dollars and we kept hers seperate from ours and she bought things she wanted. We helped her out with a few things, but she knew she only had so much money and it helped teach her how the decide what she really wanted.

Yes you can pay some of your hotel stay with cash at the end but I dont think you can give it to them in advanced and have them link it to your card. Best bet would be to call the resort and ask them directly.

By the way, I like your idea of having all of the D$s put on a card so that it can still be used at the Disney store. PLUS if you spend $10 Disney dollars on a $2 item at WDW you get cash back, which (to me) loses the fun of the Disney $s!

Definately wouldn't suggest traveler's checks...they are increasingly hard to cash now...no one really uses them anymore. In terms of cash, you can pay your bill OFF with cash but you can't give them cash to have charging privs...you need to give them a CC. If you don't use CCs, you can give them a debit card. We carry very little cash with us at Disney (just for tips really). We charge everything to our room. It's really easy and a lot safer than carrying cash around all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter