Another school shirt controversy.

AtlantaSue said:
I have 2 teen girls in Public school. Neither of them would wear the "Falcon" shirts. They don't use that particular word for a reason, and wearing a shirt that purposely references phrases with that word would not be something they'd want to do either. Both are also proud members of the drumline, (snare and cymbals) but I am certain they would never suggest or consider wearing drumline t-shirts with sexual connotations nor would the band director support it. I understand some are of the opinion that all of this is "innocent humor," but I personally do not see why class would ever need to go by the wayside in order to show school spirit.

I am the last person to condone the use of the 'f' word. I am offended and surprised when I do hear it. But I still like the cleverness of picking up on a currently used term. In fact, I think of w t f as "what the flip" or "why that's fantastic". I guess we have a weird sense of humor.

Maybe it also has something to do with living with multiple boy's. There's always a body function joke around.

I am with luvsJack and NH. I like clever
t shirts that make you think. Especially since they explained their meaning if w t f.

My favorite was one my family saw at Six Flags.. 4 stick figures sitting around a campfire roasting hot dogs caption read "it's all fun and games till someone loses a weiner". With 3 boys, this cracks me up everytime I think about it. Life is too short to always be politically correct.

My DS had that same T-shirt eons ago when he was in middle school - it was pushing the envelope a bit but I thought it was funny

I have no issue with the *** shirts, I think its funny and totally suits teens.

Teens these days are so restricted in the ability to let it loose a bit, I have no issue.

Yeah...as far as I can remember all schools end up with some sort of controversial shirts periodically. My senior year of high school for spirit week the seniors designed shirts with our school mascott wearing a lei and hula skirt and it read "Seniors get lei'ed"....kids will be kids haha

There is a large high school in the center of the Louisiana with the acronym ASH. Over the past 50+ years, spirit banners of opposing teams have said exactly what you'd think they might say when present with such an easy target. ;)

Since this school's mascot's name begins with an F, I'm sure the jokes have been around as long as the mascot has been designated a falcon.

When I was in high school those CoEd Naked shirts were very popular (I had one from Boston University that said 'Coed naked hockey...on the ice it's twice as nice')

The field hockey coach at my high school ordered them for the team and they said something like 'make a pass on the grass'. One parent was all it took to complain and they were banned from being worn in school. My own mother was the type that always said,'if that's the worst thing my kids are doing, I've done a great job'. It's high school. Can't shelter them forever.

MM27 said:
When I was in high school those CoEd Naked shirts were very popular (I had one from Boston University that said 'Coed naked hockey...on the ice it's twice as nice')

The field hockey coach at my high school ordered them for the team and they said something like 'make a pass on the grass'. One parent was all it took to complain and they were banned from being worn in school. My own mother was the type that always said,'if that's the worst thing my kids are doing, I've done a great job'. It's high school. Can't shelter them forever.

Yes to the last 3 sentences!!

My catholic high school's senior shirt had the sign language spelling out of f*!K you. The shirts made it around for a few days before the administration found out and confiscated all the shirts.

I don't understand why parents are so upset when kids get shirts banned. Must be how school was when I grew up, and when my kids were in high school.
I went to public high school in the early 1970's, and any teacher could object to what you wore and make you change it, and parents never complained.
My kids went to Catholic high school 30 years later, their policy was simple, no logos or pictures of any kind on shirts or jackets, unless it was a logo shirt with the school logo purchased at the school bookstore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter