• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another PTR - Let's Make it a Half!

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
You may not believe this, but after our recent trip to the US including the 5k and the 10k RunDisney events, I was the only one not planning our return trip in 2015. Dreaming about... yes. But I thought planning to go back so soon was unrealistic, and wasn't going to even mention it to DH. I think it was my second night back when he asked me what the plans are for next year :rotfl:

The Itinerary
Day 1:
* Fly MEL-HKG in business class with Cathay, arriving mid-afternoon
* Check into Butterfly on Waterfront Boutique Hotel
* Take the tram to the peak for sunset
Day 2:
* Fly HKG-LAX in business class with Cathay, arriving late morning
* Check into the Enchanted Cabana condo
* Await our Von's Grocery delivery
* Have dinner in DTD
Day 3:
* Pick up race packets at the expo
* Pick up park tickets at the expo (to be purchased through Get Travel)
* Go to DCA Disneybounding as Russell for my photo with Dug
* Late afternoon Tiki Room DisMeet
* Head back to DCA for Mad Tea Party
Day 4:
* RunDisney 5k
* Brekky at LaBrea Café
* My parents will be driving up from San Diego, possibly in time for a late lunch
* Spend some time at DL, meet Piglet and see the fireworks
Day 5:
* Mickey waffles at Tangaroa Terrace
* 2 hour horse-riding tour of Griffith Park
* Lazy afternoon by the pool
Day 6:
* RunDisney Half Marathon
* Celebratory lunch at Carthay Circle (WOC package)
* Afternoon at DCA, with a possible dinner at Flo's followed by WOC
Day 7:
* Disneybound as Boo
* Catch anything we haven't yet (either park)
* Dinner at Rainforest Café (I'll have another birthday voucher to use!)
* Watch the second showing of PTN
Day 8:
* See my parents off - they'll be flying off to Sacramento this morning (for Lake Tahoe)
* Spend our last day in the parks
* Fly LAX-BOS (red eye) in first with AA, arriving first thing in the morning
Day 9:
* Fly BOS-BUF in coach with AA, arriving late morning
* Pick up hire car, drive around the lake to Rochester
* Check into Comfort Suites Rochester
Day 10:
* Drive around the lake to Gananoque
* Check into Horseblock Point Cottages
Day 11:
* Take a Thousand Islands cruise
* Visit the Thousand Islands viewing deck
Day 12:
* Drive around the lake to Toronto
* Check into Park Inn by Radisson Toronto/Markham
Day 13:
* Attend the music festival in Hamilton, see Sharon Jones
* Continue our drive to Niagara Falls
* Check into Wyndham Garden Niagara Falls Fallsview
Day 14: My birthday
* Take a cruise to the falls
* Do the Behind the Falls tour
Day 15:
* Drive to Buffalo and drop off hire car
* Fly BUF-BOS (via Washington DC), currently in coach with AA, leaving ridiculously early, and arriving late morning
* Fly BOS-NRT in business class with Japan Airlines, arriving late afternoon
* Fly NRT-ICN in business class with Japan Airlines, arriving late in the evening
* Check into Queen Incheon Airport Hotel
Day 16:
* Back to back free Seoul city tours from the airport
* Fly ICN-HKG in business class with Cathay, arriving late at night
Day 17:
* Fly HKG-MEL in business class with Cathay, leaving just after midnight and returning late morning

The Disneybounding
Russel (Thursday parks)

Jessica Rabbit (5k for me)

Mulan (Friday parks)
* Black canvas shoes
* Maroon skirt
* Pink tank
* Wide blue belt (need to make)
* Large flower hair clip
* Suitable earrings
* Small black bag
* Small Cri-kee plush
Mulan (Half Marathon for me)

Mulan (Saturday parks)
* Black canvas shoes
* Navy dress (need to make simple alterations)
* Red belt (need to make)
* Small black bag
* Sword earrings
* Small Mushu plush
Boo (Monday parks)

The To-Do List
* Book airport transfers to/from LAX
* Book hire car for Lake Ontario road trip
* Investigate activities in Thousand Islands and Niagara Falls areas and make bookings/pre-purchase if required
* Finalise Disneybounds
* Create and print maps (we will also have DH's GPS with US maps, but we've found we can't always rely on that)
* Check to see whether we also have Canada maps on DH's GPS, download if required
* Print and gather important documents and organise in folders

Last edited:
So, tell me about the east coast! We won't have long, maybe a week or 10 days.

NYC is definitely on the cards. What do you recommend for someone who dislikes large, busy cities and is nervous around large crowds? How many days would you recommend just to get a taster? I'd be happy to just see some of the usual sights and get out of there! Not sure how everyone feels, it will depend in part on whether or not N and C come with us.

At this stage we're looking at leaving from the east coast, flying over the Atlantic, and including a quick stopover in Europe or the Middle East on the way home (DH and his crazy airfares :rolleyes2). He's looking at flights from Philadelphia for some reason.

I absolutely ADORED the outdoors/nature part of our last trip, and I'd be really keen to do something like that again, but I'm not sure what there is in that area. Are there any beautiful scenic areas within striking distance where we could do some hiking, see something unique, and get some fresh air?

Another option would be to take the train down to Washington DC and look around there. I am interested in Washington DC, I just like my nature time :goodvibes

Any suggestions?

I am not usually a big fan of cities either but we did love NY. Walking some of the neighbourhoods was nice like Greenwich and Meatpackers, through the parks besides the Hudson, around the tip past Battery Point, Central Park of course (surprisingly wooded with rocky outcrops), along the High Line, over the Brooklyn Bridge. Was not a fan of the chaos of Times Square area even though I know that is where a lot of Disers stay-we stayed lower down on 14th St I think and loved the neighbourhood, close to the Hudson River and the High Line and the border of Greenwich, Meatpackers and Chelsea.

How exciting - and impressed the half marathon - wow! Happy planning!

I actually prefer Chicago to New York, much less crowded but still big city.

I have been inspired by your trip report to try and run the 10K at Disneyland next year. Now I just have to convince DH we should head to DL before the trip we'd discussing taking to Aulani!

I am not usually a big fan of cities either but we did love NY. Walking some of the neighbourhoods was nice like Greenwich and Meatpackers, through the parks besides the Hudson, around the tip past Battery Point, Central Park of course (surprisingly wooded with rocky outcrops), along the High Line, over the Brooklyn Bridge. Was not a fan of the chaos of Times Square area even though I know that is where a lot of Disers stay-we stayed lower down on 14th St I think and loved the neighbourhood, close to the Hudson River and the High Line and the border of Greenwich, Meatpackers and Chelsea.

How exciting - and impressed the half marathon - wow! Happy planning!

Hmm I don't think I'd handle Times Square particularly well :rotfl: I am looking forward to seeing Central Park, and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. Good thing I've got nearly a year to get my head around it!

I actually prefer Chicago to New York, much less crowded but still big city.

I have been inspired by your trip report to try and run the 10K at Disneyland next year. Now I just have to convince DH we should head to DL before the trip we'd discussing taking to Aulani!

I'm actually far more interested in going to Chicago than I am in going to NYC, but I know when it comes down to a vote it's going to be 3-1 in favour of NYC :rolleyes: I'll just have to do lots of research to make it as non-threatening for me as possible.

You've been inspired by my report? Aww shucks :blush: You could always do both! If there's ever a good time to spend your day floating around in a lazy river, it's when you've just run a 10k :thumbsup2

Step one of booking our flights is complete :thumbsup2

Last night we bought the US Airways miles we needed to top up DH's account in their up to 100% bonus miles promotion. Added to DH's previous purchase in a similar promotion they had last year, we now have enough miles to get 2 business class return tickets to New York flying on OneWorld alliance airlines :thumbsup2

Unfortunately with US Airways we won't get the first choice of seats, as you can only book 330 days out. US Airways also don't allow one way redemptions, so we have to wait until 330 days out from our return date, so we can book the whole trip at once. There is already limited availability, so we'll just have to get onto it as soon as we get to 330 days out and take whatever's available.

Step one of booking our flights is complete :thumbsup2 Last night we bought the US Airways miles we needed to top up DH's account in their up to 100% bonus miles promotion. Added to DH's previous purchase in a similar promotion they had last year, we now have enough miles to get 2 business class return tickets to New York flying on OneWorld alliance airlines :thumbsup2 Unfortunately with US Airways we won't get the first choice of seats, as you can only book 330 days out. US Airways also don't allow one way redemptions, so we have to wait until 330 days out from our return date, so we can book the whole trip at once. There is already limited availability, so we'll just have to get onto it as soon as we get to 330 days out and take whatever's available.

How wonderful that this trip is coming together so quickly.

I'm trying desperately not to think of the fact that I'm not going anywhere next year. I think it will be even harder after Xmas once our cruise is over and we have no holidays to look forward to. I just need to keep reminding myself of my long term goal....

How wonderful that this trip is coming together so quickly.

I'm trying desperately not to think of the fact that I'm not going anywhere next year. I think it will be even harder after Xmas once our cruise is over and we have no holidays to look forward to. I just need to keep reminding myself of my long term goal....

Your long term goal will be totally worth it :goodvibes

Good organisation Zanzibar! At this stage Wanderlust we are back to no trips in 2015 after we get from our upcoming one...and your long term goal is very worth it.

Good organisation Zanzibar! At this stage Wanderlust we are back to no trips in 2015 after we get from our upcoming one...and your long term goal is very worth it.

We weren't going to have any big trips in 2015 either. I still can't quite believe DH suggested this trip and is actually going through with it too!

Good job on having enough points for two bus class tickets!

I agree. Great work!

I'm envious of the way you have figured out the flyer points system. Does your DH use business expenses to earn the points?

I've looked into the systems we have here in NZ, but they are rubbish. The points system I have at present took me two years of spending and flying to get one return business class trip to Sydney and a one-way economy flight to the Sth Island. Better than nothing, but still not great.

I agree. Great work!

I'm envious of the way you have figured out the flyer points system. Does your DH use business expenses to earn the points?

I've looked into the systems we have here in NZ, but they are rubbish. The points system I have at present took me two years of spending and flying to get one return business class trip to Sydney and a one-way economy flight to the Sth Island. Better than nothing, but still not great.

Now that we have our own business, we have definitely been earning points at a higher rate. It will still take us a couple of years to get enough for long haul business class flights though.

On this occasion, we just purchased all the points outright (which you can do with the US programs). I don't want to get into too many specifics, but it cost us about $3k each for the points. So still expensive when you're used to economy prices, but ridiculously good value for business class. We couldn't even get premium economy for that price.

Flights are booked :thumbsup2

We'll have exactly 2 weeks in the US.

Leaving Melbourne Tuesday 1st September, arriving in HK mid-afternoon, and leaving there just after lunch the next day. We'll arrive at LAX just before lunch on the Wednesday.

The following Wednesday we leave from SNA, landing in Newark at about midnight after stops in Phoenix and Charlotte (it was the only flight to NY still available).

The next Wednesday (at about 2am, so I'm gonna say Tuesday night), we head back out, arriving in HK first thing in the morning on the Thursday. We'll spend the day at HKDL before taking our flight back to Melbourne just after midnight, arriving just before lunch on the Friday.

So, we actually have less than a week for the east coast :scared:

Using points with the US airlines is soooooo much cheaper than with Australian ones. It was only about $300 in taxes for the whole trip for both of us!

Now that we have our own business, we have definitely been earning points at a higher rate. It will still take us a couple of years to get enough for long haul business class flights though. On this occasion, we just purchased all the points outright (which you can do with the US programs). I don't want to get into too many specifics, but it cost us about $3k each for the points. So still expensive when you're used to economy prices, but ridiculously good value for business class. We couldn't even get premium economy for that price.

That is a great price for business. :thumbsup2

Flights are booked :thumbsup2 We'll have exactly 2 weeks in the US. Leaving Melbourne Tuesday 1st September, arriving in HK mid-afternoon, and leaving there just after lunch the next day. We'll arrive at LAX just before lunch on the Wednesday. The following Wednesday we leave from SNA, landing in Newark at about midnight after stops in Phoenix and Charlotte (it was the only flight to NY still available). The next Wednesday (at about 2am, so I'm gonna say Tuesday night), we head back out, arriving in HK first thing in the morning on the Thursday. We'll spend the day at HKDL before taking our flight back to Melbourne just after midnight, arriving just before lunch on the Friday. So, we actually have less than a week for the east coast :scared: Using points with the US airlines is soooooo much cheaper than with Australian ones. It was only about $300 in taxes for the whole trip for both of us!

Congrats on locking the trip in. It's so exciting that it's definitely going ahead.

That return flight from NY to HK, which way around the world is it going?

Congrats on locking the trip in. It's so exciting that it's definitely going ahead.

That return flight from NY to HK, which way around the world is it going?

I believe it's just going back the way we came. We did look at continuing on across the Atlantic, but it was definitely the long way around and it didn't seem worth it when we weren't able to include a stopover.

With these reward fares we were allowed one stopover (more than 24 hours), and we had to make it in LA (that's why we didn't make a longer stopover in HK). Since we did want a stopover, that also meant that we were not allowed to leave the east coast from a different city, which was the original plan.

It would have been less restrictive if we'd have just flown to LA and gotten ourselves across the country, but it's the same number of points regardless of your destination in the US, so we figured we may as well get those free domestic flights!

I believe it's just going back the way we came. We did look at continuing on across the Atlantic, but it was definitely the long way around and it didn't seem worth it when we weren't able to include a stopover. With these reward fares we were allowed one stopover (more than 24 hours), and we had to make it in LA (that's why we didn't make a longer stopover in HK). Since we did want a stopover, that also meant that we were not allowed to leave the east coast from a different city, which was the original plan. It would have been less restrictive if we'd have just flown to LA and gotten ourselves across the country, but it's the same number of points regardless of your destination in the US, so we figured we may as well get those free domestic flights!

Gosh, I'm impressed by how well you have figured out the system.

Definitely worth getting those free domestic flights. Are they business as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter