Another pin question.....

Zoemakes5

<font color=deeppink>Support me in my Disney mania
Please tell me how you get your pin backings to stay on? That was the number one issue we had with the pins and lanyards last year. It became a real issue. We lost pins, we got poked and scratched (actually my DD fairly deeply) and spent alot of time worrying about our pins and lanyards. To such an extent that my DS ended up taking his off and putting it in the backpack. :(
So, please share what you do......

I don't wear my pins, but I've never had a problem with the little rubber Mickey head backs. My neice's came loose once, so I just used a replacement one I had bought just in case (sometimes for whatever reason the hole in the back stretches or something). Another possibility is to repoke a hole in the back. They also have locking pin backs, but this doesn't work if you plan on doing any trading.

They sell packages of pin backs at the pin carts/stores. The locking ones will help for your "keepers" to stay put.
We did the pin trading class a few years ago, the best advice a CM told me was to frequently check the backs of the pins and wiggle them more securely onto the backings throughout the day. When you take your lanyard off , tighten the backs.. when putting lanyard on.. tighten the backs. They do loosen up when bumped around.

The rubber backed mickey head ones work better than the older round ones. I gradually switched the backs to newer styles for my collection.

We lost one pin of a set the first year we did pin trading. DH was very sad and now he checks those pin backs. He wears a lanyard for his ID as a student teacher and has a pin each day, hasn't lost any this year.

Good luck!

Pin check before and after every ride. Just carefully slide down the lanyard and push in every back to make sure it's snug. Even checking all the time, we still lose some.

Yes, the Mickey shaped back work better than the old ones, but we've still lost pins with those too.

We haven't moved to the locking backs but we might for our collectors. It's too difficult to use them for the traders that you will be taking on and off.

Like others already posted, I, too, often check the backs. I just run my fingers down both sides of my lanyard and pinch each pin and back together going from top to bottom.

I've found that you have to be really careful on rides that shake you a lot, like Indy or Star Tours. I tuck my lanyard inside my shirt if I can and check all the pins before I exit the car.

Also be careful in situations like taking a jacket off, hugging someone, etc. when a pin might get pulled or loosened.

I've used the locking pin backs, but have found that even they can loosen and if they do, you can't tighten them back up without the little wrench, so I suggest that if you go to the locking backs, carry a couple of rubber backs in your pocket to use in an emergency if the locking back comes loose.

On Sat., I thought I'd lost one of my best pins! I looked down and it was gone :scared1: . It was after I'd fought through the crowd to get a locker on Main Street. I retraced my steps, but it was not to be found. We went over to CA, I rode the TOT, and we were standing in line for Aladdin (at least an hour had gone by). I went to open my fanny pack to put my sunglasses away and there was my pin...wedged between my tummy and the fanny pack! :Pinkbounc Miracle!!

So there's another reason to wear a fanny pack, even though they're dorky, and to indulge in that piece of eggnog fudge. If it hadn't been for my tummy and fanny pack, my pin would have been gone for good! :lmao: :rotfl2:

NotSoLittleMermaid said:
Like others already posted, I, too, often check the backs. I just run my fingers down both sides of my lanyard and pinch each pin and back together going from top to bottom.

I've found that you have to be really careful on rides that shake you a lot, like Indy or Star Tours. I tuck my lanyard inside my shirt if I can and check all the pins before I exit the car.

Also be careful in situations like taking a jacket off, hugging someone, etc. when a pin might get pulled or loosened.

I've used the locking pin backs, but have found that even they can loosen and if they do, you can't tighten them back up without the little wrench, so I suggest that if you go to the locking backs, carry a couple of rubber backs in your pocket to use in an emergency if the locking back comes loose.

On Sat., I thought I'd lost one of my best pins! I looked down and it was gone :scared1: . It was after I'd fought through the crowd to get a locker on Main Street. I retraced my steps, but it was not to be found. We went over to CA, I rode the TOT, and we were standing in line for Aladdin (at least an hour had gone by). I went to open my fanny pack to put my sunglasses away and there was my pin...wedged between my tummy and the fanny pack! :Pinkbounc Miracle!!

So there's another reason to wear a fanny pack, even though they're dorky, and to indulge in that piece of eggnog fudge. If it hadn't been for my tummy and fanny pack, my pin would have been gone for good! :lmao: :rotfl2:
:rotfl:

We love the locking pin backs. My husband even uses them on his uniform brass now. They work great!!

I use the gold locking pins and I love it! The pins stay on my lanyards nice and tight. They're a bit pricey though....I think one pack is around $6 but they do work great. :)

On our last day, my DD 5 traded a CM for a pin and the CM asked why she didn't put it on her lanyard. My DD said she didn't want to lose it again so the CM said she would show her, her secret. She took the plastic that the pins come on when you buy them, cut a small rectangle shape, the put the pin in the lanyard then the plastic on the back . She said try and take it off. Well with pulling and wiggling from the front that thing did not come off, even without a rubber back on.

We tried it the rest of the day with a few of her "special" pins and it worked great. We lost a rubber backing but all of the pins stayed on. We haven't put this to a strenous test of all day going on many rides , but we are happy with this method so far.

HTH.

wow, they fall off? On Thanksgiving, we got pins with a big D with Thanksgiving 2006 written on the bottom of it. WHen i tried to take the plastic off, it had to wiggle it for like a min to get it off :P

That sounds like a great idea (the plastic)! I'm going to try it. I'm glad I saved some of those cards that my pins came on.

We had a problem with the backs falling off of my sons' pins on their lanyards so I bought some of the locking backs. Now when they wear their lanyards all but the couple they plan on trading get the locking backs. I'm gonna try that plastic tip next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter