• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another PC or a Mac?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
Ah yes, the question of the ages.

I have reached the point to where I no choice but to purchase a new computer. The hard part is determining if I continue with a PC or make the switch to a Mac.

Having used a PC for 80% of my computing life, I am most comfortable with those, but I have access to a Mac that I use from time to time so I'm not exactly a stranger to those.

I am NOT a computer techie who knows all the workings and the makeup ot a PC. I'm the type who is happy as long as I can add software to my system and get the results I want. I would use the PC more to edit photo's and video tape, but the memory on mine is literally to the hilt and I have added all I can. I use a music program quite a bit for composing and arranging, as well well as Word, Excel, power Point, you know basic programs.

So, should I switch to a Mac, knowing that I will probably need to keep the old PC around to access what may be on there now, as I don't want to transfer the files to the new system? I would rather keep as much space as possible on the Mac. I know Mac have a higher quality for graphic software, but I just can't decide which direction to go.

Mac, u can use parallel or VMware to have windows run side by side with your OS.

Or you can start your mac with windows... so virtually, everything u want to do on the PC, u can do it on the mac with Bootcamp.

If it helps, you can run Windows apps and files on a Mac without missing a beat.

You'd need a copy of Windows and a piece of software known as a Virtualisation app. This app can allow you to install, run and execute every Windows app etc under the sun at pretty much full speed. Plus, the so called "coherence" mode allows you to experience all that Windows has to offer as if it were a native Mac app itself.

Plus as well, if you're a geek, you can do the same with Linux!

Another option if you want to retain Windows functionality is to use Boot Camp, which comes free with Macs. Basically you'd be given the option to boot straight in to whatever Operating System you want, Mac or whatever.

Personally I like virtualisation more and use it all the time as it permits me to retain the Mac interface and use software for either system simultaneously.

Just because you can enjoy the benefits of the Mac doesn't mean you have to give up the software range available for Windows or Linux.

[EDIT] What Albort said :p

All Macs come with a utility called Boot Camp, that lets you choose whether you want to boot the Mac into MacOS or Windows. Virtualization is fine, too, but if you want a 'real' Windows environment, exactly as you would have it on a PC, all you need is a copy of Windows. Boot Camp will walk you through what you need to do, and it will install Windows without disturbing anything you've got on the MacOS side. Really nifty, and easy.

Once Boot Camp has done it's thing and Windows is installed, when you boot the Mac, hold down the Option key on the keyboard and choose whether you want to use MacOS or Windows.

In case the music program you've got is Windows only, you can reboot into Windows whenever you want to use it.

I only used Windows for some MMOs that were Windows only. Now that Guild Wars 2 has a Mac version, I sincerely hope never to see Win7 at home again. :)

Oh - Apple's photo and video editing software is really sweet. Aperture is intended for professional photographers, iPhoto is for home use. Both are lovely for managing and editing your photo collection. For video, there's iMovie, which is a pleasure to use and produces terrific output.

The only downside to the Mac is the price... if you don't mind spending (quite a bit) more, the Mac is going to make you happy.

You can run Windows, or Windows programs on a Mac. If you do not want to spend money, you can get a free program (I think its called "wine bottler") that will run Windows programs. I tried it out, and yes it worked. I just don't really have any Windows programs that I need so I never ended up actually using it.

Of course you can get the Microsoft Office suite for Mac for the "Office needs". I find the iMovie and stuff for video editing to be fun and easy to use. As far as editing photos, I would think you can get Adobe Photoshop on Mac, but it is probably expensive. You can use stuff like GIMP which is freeware.

When I first switched to Mac, I was like thinking oh I gotta have some Windows stuff, but after using the Mac for a little while, I have totally abandoned Windows (at home).

It's funny, but although there is more software available for Windows, I find that there are more kick-bottom software titles for Mac only, such as RapidWeaver, Analogue, iLife, iWork and Aperture. I couldn't live without many Mac only apps whilst I could give a banana about many Windows only apps.

In fact, the biggest seller for Windows is the massive games library. But hey, that's what an XBox is for.

As others have said, you can run Windows on a mac. But if you are going to primarily run windows, then don't waste your money, just buy a PC. Part of the draws to a Mac is the OS.

I chose a Mac for my last desktop for 2 reasons. First, I primarily do photo editing on that computer and Mac's are great for photo editing. PCs are also good for photo editing so a Mac is not a necessity for that, just nice. Second, Macs look nicer. Totally vain I know, but my computer is out in the open I liked having a nicer looking computer on my desk.

If you can afford it and like Macs, get one. If you're leery about the price, just remember you can get the same stuff in a PC for about 1/2 the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter