• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

another newbie question about wait list

mirnmart

Mouseketeer
HI all….I've never done a wait list before so I don't exactly understand how it works. Say I want to stay at BLT and only some of the nights are available. If I book those available nights and wait list the others should I book a back up resort as well….and if I do will that automatically cancel when the wait list comes through and those points be used for the wait list?

You CAN do what you describe, with a few caveats:

1) Each member is only permitted two active waitlist requests at a time. Each night you waitlist--or string of consecutive nights--will be a separate request.

2) There's always a chance that your missing nights will not be filled. Are you willing to take the chance that you'll have to switch resorts multiple times during the stay?

Disney hotels average about 80% occupancy so cash guests rarely find that they cannot get what they want. Even when booking on short notice, their property-of-choice often has many different categories / views available.

By comparison, DVC properties operate near 100% occupancy. The more popular (and smaller) destinations will consistently approach that 100% occupancy level more than 6 months out. BLT definitely falls into that category.

There's no harm in booking what you can now and waitlisting other dates. However, every waitlist success requires a cancellation. If nobody cancels the dates you're seeing, you simply won't get it.

If you're booking at least 7 months out, it's typically worth a shot. Book what you can and set-up the waitlist. But if 2-3 months pass with no movement on the waitlist, you may have to seriously consider alternatives. Resorts like Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are typically among the last to fill. As your trip dates draw closer, you may have to decide between the split-stay with multiple resort switches or just moving your entire reservation to a resort which has availability for the full time.

thanks for the reply….My 7 month window was not yet opened (going Nov 11-18) Hoping for a MK area resort but we are ultimately happy with our home resort SSR.

any thoughts as to where I would have the most luck getting a spot in the MK area? We would need either 3 studios or 1-2bedroom plus 1 studio!

BLT lake view will have the best luck. The 2bed + studio might be easier than 3 studios. I'd figure out the points needed before booking. Ie - do you have points for 2 lakeview studios + 1 theme park studio.

I only waitlist if (1) I have enough points to book a backup or (2) it's a trip that we're not 100% sure we'll take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter