• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Newbie here!!!.. long time DVC dreamer..

Discomom703

Earning My Ears
hello fellow members!

I'm a newbie to this site.. but have been reading all the posts for a month now. Definitely such a wealth of knowledge here and I wished that I had found this, read first before I took the plunge.. I am currently waiting for a 200pt SSR contract via TTS since October 1st. Patiently waiting.... for Disney not to snag it from underneath me.. ugh!
I dont think i did pretty bad.. i'm glad i bought resale after reading all the posts. To me, I still think that resale is the best way to go.. I sat through the direct sales pitch at DL.. and went to the VIP sales pitch for the Aulani last year in a hotel in Pasadena, CA> We almost bought direct.. but there was a delay because they said of construction issues etc.. but i think its when that fiasco happened with their fired execs.. so they held up our account and when they called back to see if we want to proceed-- we werent interested anymore. Since then, I went about my life until I met another friend who purchased during the cruise in Bahamas. They bought a 160 AKV points/ and perks given like $500 gift card and Disney paid for closing costs etc... boy! im back from the dead... here i go..

I've done 2 Disney cruises and 1 about to do this December... i'm going to sit in the DVC sales there and see if there is any advantage of adding smaller contracts like a 50 or 100 direct. This may be only to see if their perks are good enough etc.

Do you guys think its worth it??? I believe they might offer Aulani or AKV or OKW again .. i'm thinking of adding a 100 pt contract to have a home resort advantage. This spring: I would want to stay in Aulani in a 2 bedroom villa .. hopefully by the time I get my points.. (optimism here) that I could begin to plan my trip soon.

Well, i'm happy to be here and I have such admiration for all of you who contribute and take the time to post. So i hope I can join in all the fun and magic of DVC...

Any ideas/ comments is appreciated regarding my plans on add -ons.

I would hold off on buying anything more until you get some DVC time under your belt and experience the DVC way of doing business.

Stay at different resorts and experience the differences for yourself, then if you still need more points, buy at your favorite resort, (now that you have stayed there), to lock in the 11 month booking advantage.

:earsboy: Bill

In my opinion, which I believe is held by most but not all on this board, there are very few circumstances when a direct purchase makes sense, e.g., when a new resort opens and there is no resale, when time-is-of-the-essence and you need the points immediately, or if you want to buy a very small contract for a specific use year. Typically, the incentives on the cruises are nice if you want to buy direct, but not nearly enough to balance out the savings for a medium-to-large contract. Also, the incentives tend to be very small (or non-existent) for small (under 100 point) contracts.

I tend to agree with Disneynutz -- enjoy your 200-point SSR contract for a bit and get a feel for how well it does (or does not) meet your needs. If you do not need the 11-month booking window, then SSR is hard to beat. If you find that you do need the 11-month booking window, e.g., because you just can't book that room at Aulani or BLT or BCV or ... that you want, then consider adding somewhere else to get that home resort advantage.

If you're comfortable renting, then there's less downside to acting quickly, but from the sound of your note, there's really no rush and no reason to worry that you'll miss some great deal on the cruise... you won't.

Welcome (almost) home! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

That's where I'm at (mentally).. i just have some urges to buy more or add more as it seems that on resale market there were good deals i saw. Yes i think I'll stick with waiting and trying out my SSR points... Thank you!

That's where I'm at (mentally).. i just have some urges to buy more or add more as it seems that on resale market there were good deals i saw. Yes i think I'll stick with waiting and trying out my SSR points... Thank you!

Resale prices will only go down the longer you wait. It's the direct prices that go up!

disneynutz said:
Resale prices will only go down the longer you wait. It's the direct prices that go up!

Strictly my opinion, but according to the numbers i see on the rofr thread, resale prices seem to be creeping up. You used to see contracts pass rofr in the 40's per point, and now that s pretty much unheard of

Strictly my opinion, but according to the numbers i see on the rofr thread, resale prices seem to be creeping up. You used to see contracts pass rofr in the 40's per point, and now that s pretty much unheard of

Overall trend is downward. a few years ago we bought BWV at $84 per point, today you can buy it for $65.

I both believe that you are right, while at the same time expecting prices to return to their traditional slow bleed off as remaining years tick off. IMHO, what we're seeing is the effect of foreclosures and panic selling of 2-3 years ago playing itself out and a more normal market re-asserting itself... similar to what you are seeing in the "normal" real estate market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter