• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another mug question...is this cool?

MsPoppinsTX

Mouseketeer
My family and I ended up doing a split stay for our upcoming trip (yes I should probably change my ticker as it isn't 100% accurate anymore) and I added the DxDP to the first half of our trip so we will be getting the refillable mug with that plan. The resort we are changing to is right next to our first one, so would it be horrible of us to continue to keep our mugs with us and fill them up as we walk by the first resort we already left? I know there was a big issue of people bringing mugs from prior years and trying to use them (which I totally get), but these are mugs we are getting this year as part of the dining plan. I didn't see it as a big deal, but thought I'd get feedback from other DISers.
Thanks.

the signs by the mugs say they are to be used "this resort-this stay" so technically your use is supposed to end when you switch resorts.

That said,you can probably get away with doing this if you're comfortable with it. We have seen plenty of people using mugs from previous years, mugs from non-Disney places (like 7-11 mugs or 6 Flags)...our trip in September we even saw a woman walk up to the soda fountain and unload about 8 thermos-type mugs (no logo, no handles. Generic travel mugs like you'd buy at Walmart) And she stood there & filled every single one of them, then loaded the obviously non-Disney mugs on a tray and went out the door with them A Disney castmember was actually standing right there, waiting to clean up the area. The CM watched her fill all those mugs and didn't say a word.:confused3

There have been threads and articles about a new chipping technology being tested at some resorts...the chips will be embedded in the mugs and the fountain machines "read" the chip so beverages will only be dispensed if chip reads as current stay/current purchase. If this type of mug/dispenser would be used everywhere this question will become moot since once you check out your mug would no longer work at the dispenser.

the signs by the mugs say they are to be used "this resort-this stay"

I have a hard time believing that if you ask a cast member, they will make you buy a second set of mugs for the next resort. Thats ridiculous. yes you have a split stay, but its ONE vacation. Use that mug loud and proud. I had a split stay and used one mug. I'd never consider buying a second set! Why would i? So if i did 6 different resorts on one trip, i'd have to buy 6 sets of mugs? Not! It would be different if the mugs were unique to the resorts. But theyre not.

I have a hard time believing that if you ask a cast member, they will make you buy a second set of mugs for the next resort. Thats ridiculous. yes you have a split stay, but its ONE vacation. Use that mug loud and proud. I had a split stay and used one mug. I'd never consider buying a second set! Why would i? So if i did 6 different resorts on one trip, i'd have to buy 6 sets of mugs? Not! It would be different if the mugs were unique to the resorts. But theyre not.

As a bit of a stickler for keeping within the policy rules, I still wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. It is one Disney visit. That you are changing resorts halfway through is not the same as taking mugs from previous trips in my opinion. I would have no problem using them, unless explicitly told otherwise by at least 2 CM's. Have a great trip. :wizard:

Im actually kinda waiting for them to have yearly mugs like Busch gardens etc does that the mug would be good for a entire year!! maybe u could pay more upfront but in the long run... or a montly kind that change colors or something... but yes I would use same mug.. I actually bring past mug and use both past and the new mug from current visit at same time because i go get my DC and walk back to room to finish getting ready and first mug is empty half way there.. lol same thing in evening so I have a full drink in my room... im only one in fam though hubby and dd laugh at me..

I asked this same question and week or so ago and I got every response from those above to yes you have to buy a new mug. We will be staying 9 nights at CSR and 1 night at POP. I will not be buying new mugs for the 1 night. We will either use the mugs we already bought or not buy any drinks - we will check in in the am and leave for MK, stay all day and arrive in the evening and check out the following morning.

MsPoppinsTX,
In your ticker I noticed that at you listed the Boardwalk Villas. Well I am not sure if you are staying there 1st or 2nd but what I do know is over there you don't actually use the mugs when getting refills. At the Boardwalk Bakery, Boardwalk Pizza Window, Boardwalk Joes, Seashore Sweets and Belle Vue Lounge you show the Cast Members your mug and they will give you whatever drink you want in a paper cup. The reason is they are not allowed to refill the mugs themselves because of health and cleanliness issues.

Basically if you are 1st staying at the Boardwalk Villas you won't even drink from the mugs while you are there, unless you transferred the sodas from the paper cups into the mugs. So I am sure you would want to use the mugs at your 2nd resort because you would feel like they went to waste not being used.

I take it you are only doing the DDP for a portion of your stay then? We did a split stay this past weekend. One night at AKV and 2 nights at BCV. We did the DxDDP the entire stay and each resort gave us a set of mugs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter