Another medicsl emergency on Fantasy

Seems like it would have to be very serious to turn back only 2 hours out. Wouldn't they normally chopper someone back from that distance or can they not do that at night? On an entirely different note the webcam pics are beautiful tonight.
And btw I'm only asking the original question bc I don't know how this type of situation works.

They can't exactly cruise 22 knots down the Port Canaveral channel.

Well, yes, I understand they can't fly back in like a cigarette boat (but how cool would THAT be?!?!) but it seem like they are faster leaving at 5. Maybe the tide change forces them to be careful or something.

And looks like they docked 'port side', which is not usual at PC. They will make the turn in the turning basin on the way out.

Hope everything turns out OK for whoever is in trouble.

The captain will have the 'hammer down' tonight making up the time. Hope the seas aren't too rough, or it could make for an interesting night.

I think the lights you see are from a police boat. Looks likes she's turning to head out to sea - no need to hang around once the passenger is evacuated.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm listening to the police and rescue scanner. Saying ship isn't quite docked yet and it is a medical emergency.

And looks like they docked 'port side', which is not usual at PC. They will make the turn in the turning basin on the way out.

The captain will have the 'hammer down' tonight making up the time. Hope the seas aren't too rough, or it could make for an interesting night.

Faster to dock port side to pier. Then turn her around to head out once passenger is evacuated.

If the itinerary is the same as mine from jan, tomorrow would be a day at sea, though, so they should be able to make up the lost time. And, if not, I sure the guests would be understanding considering what's going on....at least I hope so :)

They have not evacuated the guest yet as they have not docked, she is still in the process of rotating to dock as she normally does.

Seems like it would have to be very serious to turn back only 2 hours out. Wouldn't they normally chopper someone back from that distance or can they not do that at night? On an entirely different note the webcam pics are beautiful tonight.

I live in a small island community and I work at the hospital that serves a bunch of small islands. It's super expensive to helicopter out (I want to say at least $20k) and there's size considerations. The shelf to put a patient is super small. You have to be under a certain width (measure from your back to your chest/belly). I remember looking at the paperwork when I was precepting in an ER, and my chest size alone would have knocked me out. And you have the situation where if the person has a family they can't go in the copter. They'd want to be there for their family member. So it would probably have been easier to back pedal a little bit than say fly the person out.

Poor family. This is why I think it would be fun to be a cruise line nurse. (Fun from a student nurse perspective....)

I think the lights you see are from a police boat. Looks likes she's turning to head out to sea - no need to hang around once the passenger is evacuated.

Nope, now that lil blinking thing in the water is a police boat. I sure do hope it's not serious.

Thank you kdeans for your medical perspective. Helps to know how they're approaching the emergency.

This is why I think it would be fun to be a cruise line nurse. (Fun from a student nurse perspective....)

Yuck. NO THANK YOU. I once thought this too; I thought I'd love to live aboard the ship, but then i really thought about it - treating all of the motion sickness, cuts/scrapes, diarrhea & dehydration - BORING. The occasional medical emergency would not be enough to break up the monotony. It would grow old & tire fast IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was on the Wonder, we had left Puerto Vallarta 6 hours earlier and turned around for a medical emergency. Once they quickly offloaded the patient we cruised very fast to get on schedule for our next stop.

Definitely saying prayers that it isn't too serious. I've been on two cruises before, each had minor medical emergencies...broken bone on one...not sure on the other but we were already in port.

Medical mishaps occur more often then we are aware when cruising, most of us are just lucky enough to never know it happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter