Another look at DHS "super crowds"

Well I'm gonna stick my neck out here because I really hate the generalizing of people, not all "infleuncers" (hate that word btw) do positive, non realistic posts and still get invited to these media events. I am one of them (not an influencer just someone who has worked very hard for 4 years of live streaming to achieve media invites from Disney) Since we live stream there's no sugar coating anything, not that I would want to, lately most of my streams include phrases like boy it's crowded, and look at the line for food and things like that. SO before we go all "kill the beast" on everyone invited to media events know that not all of them are only posting positive stuff and they still get invited.

And now they have bloggers and Disney 'news' groups that cover them actually writing articles that suggest people shouldn't go. Their response? Get a few influencers to write about how great everything is (when you get the red carpet rolled out for you). Spring break is almost here. They really need to start extending hours.
I don't agree with anyone tell you to go or not go, I think the best thing is to put the info out there and have the guest research and make their own decisions, who am I to tell someone to spend or not spend their money on Disney.

I don't follow enough of the bloggers to know who is who, but it will be interesting to see if the "influencers" see through the red-carpet treatment and report something like, "ROTR is amazing and MMRR is adorable, but ordinary guests will face huge lines so you might want to wait until RotR is a bit more reliable."
and RotR is amazing and I'm sure MMRR will be adorable, the guest, through research will know how long the waits are, just by looking at MDE. In the bg thread you see everyone putting in the effort, struggling, sometimes not being able to board until day 2 or 3 and most people would come back and say it was worth it

Only Josh at EasyWDW would do that. It's why he never goes to media events.
He doesn't go to media events because he doesn't want to and doesn't want to try. There's a difference. Also Josh is an "influencer" as he is influencing people to not go because of the crowd levels

Well, I guess I'll just have to start following him.

I wonder what would happen if we all started calling out the "influencers" in their comments sections. I realize Dis members are a small percentage of parkgoers, but we are among the most informed guests. Anyone want to link (or list) blogs that are giving an unrealistic impression of the current state of DHS? I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would be willing to (respectfully) challenge the rose-colored-glasses view of going to DHS these days.
everyone on their social media get "challenged" every day, you can do that if you so desire. Freedom of speech and all

The media influencer day is March 3, so look for rose colored posts after that.
not from me at least, I always bring my personal opinion and let people decide if they want to experience MMRR or not

Anyone going to be at DHS that day? I'd love it if some of us could "bump into" those influencers and give them a bit of the lowdown on what's really going on. I wonder if hearing firsthand about the ordinary experience would temper the reports.

It's not that I think they're not going to slam DHS if they want to be invited back, but maybe it would make the reviews a bit less glowing.

I think you can easily praise the attractions, and still be real about the crowds.
almost everyone invited to the media event has first hand account on what's happening, it's not that they don't know is that some chose not to report it in article form, or pictures or video. And your last statement is my approach with everything DIsney.
It has it;s positives and negatives and I like to bring a balance to the situation, again in live stream you really can't cover anything but I do shows like "what are the best bathrooms to use when it's busy" and "rope drop shows" showing how you can really accomplish a lot in that first hour (not currently at DHS unfortunately)
So again, sticking my neck for no other reason than to bring you the other side of the "influencer" and media event invitee. I have posted many accurate, negative stories in Disney's eyes and we still get invited.
And I do think it's ridiculous to be wined and dined, I find that part of the event uncomfortable because I am a shy person by nature so being seated in a round table with 8 strangers during a meal is not exactly my cup of tea, which is why I'm not going to the dinner they are throwing on Monday.
I will say that giving media invitees fp for all attractions and in the case of Tuesday, access to RotR, is a strategic move as some of the media people are from out of state and they need to ride these things to write about them, the responsibility lies in the "influencer" and yes there are a couple out there that only post positive stories and to that I say, shame on them. I take my job very seriously and love helping people out with their Disney planning. I have been fortunate enough to be an AP and a local for 22 years and love sharing my tips and tricks with everyone, which is why I'm here, and was selected to be a Mod. And as usual all of these are my personal opinions

Forgive me, but I have so many questions about this because I’m baffled by it. Particularly Soarin, which is by far the easiest out of this group ever since they built the third theater. It’s ridiculously easy to get day of FP without much effort either. How big is your family? How long is your typical trip? Do you not attempt rope drop, or getting in line at park close as an alternative? TSM was a walk on at park close last time I went, on a busy holiday weekend when SDD had apparently been down most of that day (I went to DHS one evening after dinner on a whim because I was staying at BC, with no real intent to go on rides and still managed Star Tours, MFSR and TSM in short standby.)
Me too. I just booked our FOs and I had my pick of times for Soarin’ on day 60! From morning on. Same for Slinky and TSM on day 60+2.

I never said Josh wasn’t an influencer. I respect him for not going, honestly. That was all I meant in my tiny observation.
With all due respect, please don’t drag me into your argument after deleting my comments on other threads.

I never said Josh wasn’t an influencer. I respect him for not going, honestly. That was all I meant in my tiny observation.
With all due respect, please don’t drag me into your argument after deleting my comments on other threads.
not dragging you into anything. I was just responding to your post

Forgive me, but I have so many questions about this because I’m baffled by it. Particularly Soarin, which is by far the easiest out of this group ever since they built the third theater. It’s ridiculously easy to get day of FP without much effort either. How big is your family? How long is your typical trip? Do you not attempt rope drop, or getting in line at park close as an alternative? TSM was a walk on at park close last time I went, on a busy holiday weekend when SDD had apparently been down most of that day (I went to DHS one evening after dinner on a whim because I was staying at BC, with no real intent to go on rides and still managed Star Tours, MFSR and TSM in short standby.)

I don’t get it, either. Mine Train is usually available at least 60+1.

Well, I guess I'll just have to start following him.

I wonder what would happen if we all started calling out the "influencers" in their comments sections. I realize Dis members are a small percentage of parkgoers, but we are among the most informed guests. Anyone want to link (or list) blogs that are giving an unrealistic impression of the current state of DHS? I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would be willing to (respectfully) challenge the rose-colored-glasses view of going to DHS these days.
It's such a small percentage of the guests it wont matter. Wdw is a business that will set their plans based on the average park goer. Which is the once every year, 3 years, 5 years, or lifetime. Not the bloggers, board posters. In fact wdw pays absolutely zero attention to these boards. They do not recognize it as official and make their business plans on what average guests expect. That's the reality of things.

It's such a small percentage of the guests it wont matter. Wdw is a business that will set their plans based on the average park goer. Which is the once every year, 3 years, 5 years, or lifetime. Not the bloggers, board posters. In fact wdw pays absolutely zero attention to these boards. They do not recognize it as official and make their business plans on what average guests expect. That's the reality of things.

Not about what we say on here, but actually commenting on those "influencer" pages. There's usually a place to leave comments at the bottom of the posts.

WDW obviously cares what they say if they're inviting them to special media events. The average guest who Googles (trying to 'do their homework') is likely to find some of those pages. If the social media message across the board is that DHS has great rides but terrible crowds, I do think Disney would be inclined to make some changes to improve guest experience.

This statement in itself is contradictory. The simple act of calling and voicing your displeasure is an act in asking for them to make it up to you. Whether you asked implicitly or not.

The need to directly state the large sum of money you spent to a message board of strangers demonstrates this point

I've been struggling with this a lot. We had a nice trip this time, but it was really in spite of a lot of little negative things on Disney's part that added up to leaving a bad taste in our mouths about the attitude towards guests. I really want to write and let them know, because I don't think they can fix what they don't hear about, but I don't want to come across like I need a refund or had a bad time because I don't and I didn't. And we're definitely going back, though I think maybe it won't be President's Day week anymore unless they extend park hours to mesh up with the crowds or do something crazy like actually open the whole park at park opening.

They do pay attention to surveys, though. Whether they make positive changes because of them is questionable, but it's going into the data somewhere.

I've been struggling with this a lot. We had a nice trip this time, but it was really in spite of a lot of little negative things on Disney's part that added up to leaving a bad taste in our mouths about the attitude towards guests. I really want to write and let them know, because I don't think they can fix what they don't hear about, but I don't want to come across like I need a refund or had a bad time because I don't and I didn't. And we're definitely going back, though I think maybe it won't be President's Day week anymore unless they extend park hours to mesh up with the crowds or do something crazy like actually open the whole park at park opening.

I am not criticizing some one for calling Disney and speaking up, I was just stating whether intended or not one is asking to be compensated. The only way one is not directly or indirectly compensated is to directly reject compensation. Which I am sure there are people on here who have talked to managers all over the globe not just Disney to let them know there experience while rejecting compensation.

I am not criticizing some one for calling Disney and speaking up, I was just stating whether intended or not one is asking to be compensated. The only way one is not directly or indirectly compensated is to directly reject compensation. Which I am sure there are people on here who have talked to managers all over the globe not just Disney to let them know there experience while rejecting compensation.

If I think it's significant, I always email when I get back home. If it's huge, I take care of right then and there. And yes, there are times they have offered compensation and there are times I have turned it down. If whatever it is significantly impacts my trip, I certainly take the compensation. When the construction on the Presidential suite directly above us at AKL was so loud I had to yell in the phone for guest services to hear me, I sure took the compensation they offered. If it's something like the email I wrote to complain about the over selling of party tickets, I didn't. I knew going in it was going to be bad, but did it anyway. I just wanted my opinion known in case a million other people agreed and it forced them to do something. lol And now, going to HS I know what the conditions are. Depends on how it goes, but I may complain when I get home. I wouldn't take compensation for that because again, I know going in and am choosing to do it anyway.

And this is not to say I complain every trip. I don't. I'm just as likely to email and tell them what a great time we had!

SO before we go all "kill the beast" on everyone invited to media events know that not all of them are only posting positive stuff and they still get invited.

I agree, my comment regarding this was too generic. I'm very familiar with your live streams and absolutely don't think you sugar coat anything. But, when I don't "know" the blogger, vlogger, live streamer ( I refuse to use the term "influencer"), I really do discount what they say when I know they're getting freebies. But that's just me and my very suspicious self. :)

I agree, my comment regarding this was too generic. I'm very familiar with your live streams and absolutely don't think you sugar coat anything. But, when I don't "know" the blogger, vlogger, live streamer ( I refuse to use the term "influencer"), I really do discount what they say when I know they're getting freebies. But that's just me and my very suspicious self. :)

Right, there are so many different kinds of bloggers, etc. There are plenty of great ones who report on things "as is" and develop and share strategies for making the best of things. I think it would be wrong-headed for anyone to take issue with people who are genuinely out there trying to help, even IF it's also a source of income for them. We're all benefitting from what they share.

But the paid (or bribed) influencers aren't that, they aren't providing a service to the customer, they are solely providing a service to the company. It's a commercial.

and RotR is amazing and I'm sure MMRR will be adorable, the guest, through research will know how long the waits are, just by looking at MDE. In the bg thread you see everyone putting in the effort, struggling, sometimes not being able to board until day 2 or 3 and most people would come back and say it was worth it
I guess my point is that the average guest thinks he or she IS doing research by looking at blogs, vlogs, etc. MDE doesn't give the full picture because it doesn't show how many people get/don't get BGs. I saw the early BG information, and figured it would be a piece of cake if I did everything 'right' and wasn't picky about times. Then I started following the recent developments, and I'm quite worried I won't get on. The person who doesn't follow updates may be completely shocked to find him/herself shut out of BGs.

If I'd known about all this earlier, I might have invested in hoppers back when I bought my tickets, but now there's been another round of price increases, and I'd be out more than $250 to upgrade, so I don't have multiple days to struggle and try again and again for BGs. Given the price increases, I have no idea when I'll be back to WDW. I really feel for the family who saved and saved for Star Wars, goes on their only DHS day, and has a glitch on MDE. Lots of people only get one shot, and it's not fair for them to go not realizing what a long shot it is.

When I found out about the huge crowds, I started looking for plan B, and figured I'd do Muppets or Lightning McQueen if the RD lines were too big for headliners. Imagine my surprise to recently learn that those aren't open until 10. I'm a Dis Board regular, and I feel like I've generally got a handle on how things work, but if it's this challenging for me to come up with a good plan for my 4-year-old, I can only imagine how overwhelming it is for someone without that background.

So again, sticking my neck for no other reason than to bring you the other side of the "influencer" and media event invitee. I have posted many accurate, negative stories in Disney's eyes and we still get invited.
And I do think it's ridiculous to be wined and dined, I find that part of the event uncomfortable because I am a shy person by nature so being seated in a round table with 8 strangers during a meal is not exactly my cup of tea, which is why I'm not going to the dinner they are throwing on Monday.
I will say that giving media invitees fp for all attractions and in the case of Tuesday, access to RotR, is a strategic move as some of the media people are from out of state and they need to ride these things to write about them, the responsibility lies in the "influencer" and yes there are a couple out there that only post positive stories and to that I say, shame on them. I take my job very seriously and love helping people out with their Disney planning. I have been fortunate enough to be an AP and a local for 22 years and love sharing my tips and tricks with everyone, which is why I'm here, and was selected to be a Mod. And as usual all of these are my personal opinions

Thank you for keeping it real. I'm still trying to figure out who is who in the "influencer" world. I mostly get my info from Disboards, so I don't know which vloggers and bloggers have which bias. Although I have no idea what livestreams you do (because I don't know who anyone is outside of their screen name/avitar), I appreciate the info you give here and your work as a moderator.

We're going over Spring Break, something I said I would never do but got talked into by some friends, and I'm nervous! That being said we have FP for all of the big rides back to back over two different evenings and one day. I think my plan right now is to just hit our FP, maybe catch a show, and get out of there!

This is quickly becoming our plan. We have NEVER been to Disney World during a crowded season but it's the only thing our daughter wanted for her 13th birthday so off we go. I suffer from a pain disorder, am prone to crowd induced panic attacks and am not counting on getting a DAS like I do at Disneyland.

We have FPs for our must-dos (TOT and RRC) and scored one for Runaway Railway when they became available. We have a couple of dining reservations (one of which gets us Fantasmic FPs. We'll get there at opening to try for a boarding group, if we don't get one we'll just do our FPs and then get out of dodge and try for RotR at DL next year.

I implore everyone to heed Robo's advice... DO NOT go to DHS. Especially on March 19th. NO ONE should go to DHS on that day! 😉 :rotfl2:

Yeah, this...that's our day there!

I'm confused too, what time of year is this poster going where they can't get any of these FP?? We just went a few weeks ago and we stayed off site and we got all of these FP in advance. They weren't available at my 30 day window, but I kept checking back and I found everything I wanted. I saw all of these FP come up multiple times on multiple days when I was checking. I got FoP in advance and then got another FoP same day. We could have gone on FoP 4 times with FP because I kept seeing it when refreshing for more FP. It wasn't slow either, wait times were high and it was crowded.

Actually, Disney DOES owe guests something. Guests are paying for a service and they are within their right to expect to be reasonably accommodated to enjoy that service.

And yes, this is coming from someone with experience in that department. Disney comped almost $4000 worth of free park tickets with no expiration date for us to return because our last trip was so horrid from crowds and poor service.
I did not ask for a refund, did not ask for anything at all. I just let them know how - after 4 generations and numerous trips - I left with no desire to ever return.

That was last year and I still have no desire or plans to return.

To everyone else, food for thought:

I don’t mind reasonable lines. Lines of an hour or less are reasonable. But lines of 2-4 hours every single day for rides that are YEARS old already is inexcusable.

For the record, my family has yet to ride SOARIN, FOP, SDD, TSM, 7DMT. Yes, that’s correct. Even SOARIN. THIS, despite staying onsite for 60 day FP, being ready as soon as FP booking went live (and rechecking afterwards), and multiple trips.

How many of you here are actually taking the time to voice your complaints to Disney? You don’t have to wait until after your trip to voice concerns. It’s good that we have places like the DIS to discuss among ourselves but at the end of the day we have to get our concerns to Disney.

The current FP system, park hours, and crowd limits are NOT working. Something will have to break before the Anniversary next year and it will. It’s best to get your concerns in now.
Just being honest here, you should probably get a Travel Agent. It’s not hard to score those FastPasses unless you have a 2 day trip.

We were there last week and figured that the insane crowds were mainly because of school holidays, Mardi Gras, Princess Marathon and cast member previews all converging at once. I’m disheartened to read that this might be part of the regular experience, now.

I’m heartbroken, as we loved Hollywood Studios for the atmosphere, the sadly closed Great Movie Ride, and the fabulous Citizens of Hollywood streetmosphere characters. The last two times we were there, however, the Galaxy’s Edge madness has ruined it, and sucked all the energy out of the day. We love Galaxys Edge, but SO wish it were just made into another park altogether, or had a separate entrance, or some better way to separate the crowds.

We were there last week and figured that the insane crowds were mainly because of school holidays, Mardi Gras, Princess Marathon and cast member previews all converging at once. I’m disheartened to read that this might be part of the regular experience, now.

I’m heartbroken, as we loved Hollywood Studios for the atmosphere, the sadly closed Great Movie Ride, and the fabulous Citizens of Hollywood streetmosphere characters. The last two times we were there, however, the Galaxy’s Edge madness has ruined it, and sucked all the energy out of the day. We love Galaxys Edge, but SO wish it were just made into another park altogether, or had a separate entrance, or some better way to separate the crowds.
Just as an fyi, the COH are still there, from 10 am until 3pm

Just as an fyi, the COH are still there, from 10 am until 3pm

We know they are still there, but the last two times we were in Hollywood Studios, the exhaustion of going so early and standing in long lines and doing everything in massive crowds sucked the energy out of the day, and left me too exhausted to stay and enjoy the Citizens of Hollywood. Also our timing was off after doing the Galaxys Edge stuff, and we couldn’t find them. I’m considering skipping GE altogether on our next trip since we’ve been a few times, and showing up at 10 just to watch the Citizens. My BF can go with his family to GE, and I will be less cranky and be able to doll up in my 1940s Hollywood garb, again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter