• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another laptop question

dclfun

DIS Veteran
After driving myself crazy researching different laptop models and brands I had decided that the Lenovo brands were best....but then I saw the Toshiba Qosmio series that mentioned the Harman Kardon surround sound Dolby speakers. The specs are similar, cost for the Toshiba is less but then how important ARE the speakers? I know it depends on what you're using the laptop for. I'm looking to replace using my desktop at home and using the laptop not only for computer functions but also to watch media. Anyone have an opinion. Anyone have the Qosmio and think the speakers are better than other types of laptops? ARghhhhh!---Kathy

I have a toshiba satellite series laptop. The speakers are meant to be used w/ headphones. If your watching a missed tv show on the laptop, some of the sites don't have the volume up enough to hear the quite moments w/out using the headphones. I will say, some of the sites are getting better about having the volume get louder, but its still anoying sometimes, the disney site is always loud enough.

Yes, it does have the harman/kardon speakers. Its my first laptop, and have had it for 2-3 years.

Connie

Hi I have a lenovo with vista and it has caused me nothing but trouble. Windows has updates and asks to restart laptop.. I think no problem, but now I cringe thinking about restarting my computer. Sometimes it will tell me boot manager not available or not found and sometimes vista bugs out and tells me that it does not have a valid product key.... I have had to restore it to factory settings about once a month since I have had it (May 07) unless you are really good about backing up information.. I dont reccomend vista yet. the kinks are not yet all worked out.

Hi I have a lenovo with vista and it has caused me nothing but trouble. Windows has updates and asks to restart laptop.. I think no problem, but now I cringe thinking about restarting my computer. Sometimes it will tell me boot manager not available or not found and sometimes vista bugs out and tells me that it does not have a valid product key.... I have had to restore it to factory settings about once a month since I have had it (May 07) unless you are really good about backing up information.. I dont reccomend vista yet. the kinks are not yet all worked out.

When looking for a new lap top, go mac. I converted a few years ago because of school/work and really didn't want to, and now I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. First off, you don't have the millions of virus's that windows does. And they never crash. I know the initial price is more than a PC, but you'll actually save money in repairs, and mac holds their resale value really well, where in a couple years, your PC is worth about 100 bucks. No I am not an employee for mac, just a lover of them. And now that mac uses intel, you can also run windows on the same machine if you are so inclined. If you have an mac questions, feel free to ask me.

Thanks for the info- my kids all have different laptop brands and so far none have had trouble with Vista. One son recommended that I just get a Mac but I'm not too keen on that. I'm not really ready to buy anything but am in the research/looking phase and it's hard to make a decision. From what I read, the Qosmio series has upgraded speakers but not meant to be used with headphones. I"m not sure of the difference between the Toshiba satellite series vs. the qosmio series???? It's all frustrating to me since I'm not that saavy with computers, other than to just turn one on and use it.---Kathy

My DH is into computers and we always get Acer Laptops. I have one DH has one, DD has one, my aunt, and my dad also have one and we all love them. We all also have vista and it took alittle getting used to but it works great for us. My DH also has two Dell laptops and the Acers are much better.

Acer is a good value. But I am really impressed with macs. They have better interface with music and photos thing anything running MS. What I really like is how they just install stuff, and you don't have to answer a million questions. Maybe look into one of them.

I guess I need to look into the Mac. My son in law has one and loves it. It's just unfamiliar territory to me so I don't really know what to look for. I do know that the DCL site sometimes doesn't interface for those that have a Mac which is my biggest concern- not being able to see the Disney sites. Gotta have Disney!----Kathy

QVC has an acer today lap top and on easy pay. nice for a beginner. also nice to just use. it is today's special value. 3g of ram if you need the link

http://www.qvc.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter