• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ANother incident of missing people on Carnival

faireygod mother

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=deeppink>I need som
Did anyone see that an elderly couple was found missing on Carnival's Destiny ship. They found sandals and a purse and summize they fell overboard. What gives with Carnival, they make #4 and 5 in the past year that "mysteriously" disappear. :confused3

Here is the article:
Elderly couple disappears during cruise
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — An elderly Vietnamese-American couple disappeared during a Caribbean cruise and they probably fell overboard, officials said Monday.
The 71-year-old man and 67-year-old woman aboard the Carnival Destiny ship disappeared sometime Thursday between the islands of Barbados and Aruba, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Omar Barrera said.

"The only logical conclusion it that they somehow fell overboard," Barrera said.

Investigators found a few of the couple's belongings, including a purse and sandals, out in the open on the third floor of the ship, Barrera said. There were no signs that it was a case of suicide, because the couple was reportedly in good health and did not appear to have any serious personal problems, he said, citing interviews with relatives.

Two Coast Guard planes conducted an unsuccessful search for the missing couple and the Coast Guard asked passing ships to be on the lookout.

The ship canceled its visit to Aruba in order to join the search and later went to St. Maarten instead, the company said. The cruise ended on schedule in San Juan on Sunday.

Carnival Cruise Lines spokesman Vance Gulliksen confirmed the couple's disappearance, but could not provide further details. Authorities did not identify the couple or say where they lived.

Wow I hadn't heard anything about that. It does seem rather odd to me that it has happened with the same cruise line multiple times. A question, how many times have people disappeared from DCL?

Robin :confused3

"The only logical conclusion it that they somehow fell overboard," Barrera said.

Obviously, I don't know with what emotion this was said, but the "Oh well" attitude it seems to represent is sad. You would think there would be a little more control over these things. Cameras to observe the side of the ship, etc.

It is very difficult to actually "fall" overboard, isn't it? I never felt any danger of this. I only worried about the kids climbing the rails and then falling over. But TWO adults 'falling' overboard together? I don't think so.

yes. a friend at work lent it to me. very interesting book.
Also , what's with the purse on the floor?

It is very hard to just "fall overboard" and for two people to do it...seems odd.

We are on the Carnival Legend at the end of June and I want to see what the railings look like....I have been on the Destiny before and I don't really recall what they looked like but I do remember I had to put my arms/elbows up to rest them on the rail and I am 5'7" so they are not short railings....

I can not confirm any of this information, I jut happened to see t under the "events at sea" from the Cruisejunkie website.
"From a passenger: Two passnegers jumped from the Carnival Destiny on Thursday May 12th between 8:30 PM and 4 AM while the ship was going from Barbados to Aruba. The ship turned around to search for the missing passengers. Their belongings were found in a pile on one of the decks. The belongings included thier passports. There was apparently a suicide note from the approximately 70 year old couple. US and Venezulan coastguards took over the search on Friday May 13th at 1 PM. The ship was discharged and had to change ports. The passengers were brought to St. Maarten on Saturday the 14th. The couple were US citizens who were of Vietnamese decent. Their 3 children were also on board. The children were in their 30s. The FBI met the ship in San Juan Perto Rico as the investigation continued."

A very sad situation whatever the actual circumstance.

SailorMinnie said:
I can not confirm any of this information, I jut happened to see t under the "events at sea" from the Cruisejunkie website.
Interesting website. Some cruise lines are report on that site repeatedly.
It seems unlikely that two people would fall overboard at the same time without anybody seeing or hearing anything but stranger things have happened.
I feel bad for their adult children who were reported to be onboard. Whatever the case it is a very sad situation.

Unfortunately I can relate to this story. Last year a close friend of our family's was one of the people that dissappeared on Carnival. It was the night before they were to pull back into port. Chris's girlfriend that he just proposed to a week or so earlier went back to her cabin at 3 or so in the morning to pack and get some sleep. He stayed up to gamble some more. When he didn't return by 6 in the morning she alerted staff right away. They searched the ship numerous times and didn't find anything. They said that he could have jumped overboard or fell overboard. We still to this day don't believe it. He had a wonderful life. His company was doing great, he was newly engaged, and he had three precious daughters at home that he adored. Carnival called off the search after three days. There is no way someone could have just fallen overboard. And what bother's us most is that there are no cameras on the decks for these situations. Still to this day he is still missing. We had a memorial service for him three weeks later after the fact. So the story is please be careful when you are traveling anywhere.

Courtney

Wow...I remember that story. I also remember seeing a special on 20/20 about a young woman who was sailing with her family on, I think RCCL, and she went missing sometime in the early am. Her parents saw her asleep on their verandah in the chair during the night but they awoke she was gone never to be seen again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter