Another great reason to be a DVC member.....

edk35

DIS Veteran
For 2012, Disney has continued to create more specific room categories. At Pop Century and Port Orleans-Riverside, the number of room categories has doubled in a single year. Want a view of the pool? That will cost you. Want to be closer to the bus stop? That's extra. Want upgraded decor? You're going to pay more.

This "nickle and diming" approach adds up. For example, in 2012:

a Summer Season weekend stay at Pop Century could cost you $20 per night more than in 2011: $15 more due to a room rate increase, plus $5 more for a Pool View (a category that didn't exist previously).

a Value Season weekend stay at Port Orleans-Riverside could cost you $40 per night more than in 2011: $10 more due to a room rate increase, plus $30 more for Royal Guest theming (a category that didn't exist previously).

The Independence Day Weekend season was dropped for 2012 at all resorts.

Value resorts:

Rates at the All Stars went up $2-$10 per night, except for Fall Season weekdays and Columbus Day weekend, which stayed the same as 2011.

Pop Century Standard and Preferred rooms are now $5 per night more expensive than the same room types at the All Stars, all year round; that means rates at Pop Century have gone up a total of $5-$15 per night.

Pop Century has added two new, higher priced categories: Standard Pool View and Preferred Pool View. These categories are $5 per night more expensive than the comparable non-view Standard and Preferred room categories.

The brand-new Art of Animation Resort has consistently higher prices than the All-Stars for the same room types: $5-$10 (mostly $10) per night more for Standard rooms and $50 per night more for Family Suites.

At least for the first year, the new Art of Animation Resort has only two room types: Standard rooms and Family Suites. The Family Suites have a variety of theming, but for 2012 there is no extra charge if you select a specific theme. I predict that for 2013 Disney will have figured out what locations and themes are most popular and will start charging extra for those.

Moderate resorts:

Rates went up $5-10 per night for all dates and resorts. Generally the $10 per night increase applies to weekends.

Port Orleans-French Quarter has added a new, higher-priced category: Garden View.

Port Orleans-Riverside also added the new, higher-priced Garden View category.

Port Orleans-Riverside now offers higher-priced Royal Guest rooms, which are further broken out into Standard, Garden View, Water View and River View.

Deluxe resorts:

Regular Season 2 (early fall, roughly corresponding with the first 3 weeks of the Epcot Food & Wine Festival) has been further subdivided into weekday and weekend rates for 2012. Weekend rates in this season shot up at every resort, with increases of $45-$75 per night on regular (non-Club Level, non-suite) rooms.

Weekend rates in Fall Season (encompassing the rest of the Food & Wine Festival period plus the pre-holiday period) skyrocketed at every resort, with increases of $35-$65 per night on regular rooms.

Animal Kingdom Lodge rates on regular rooms went up $15-$40 per night.

Beach Club/Yacht Club Value Season and Peak Season weekday prices for all room categories stayed the same price as in 2011. Other rates on regular rooms went up $5-$45 per night.

BoardWalk Value Season and Peak Season weekday prices for Standard View rooms stayed the same price as in 2011. Other rates on regular rooms went up $5-$65 per night.

Contemporary rates on regular rooms went up $15-$50 per night.

Grand Floridian rates on regular rooms went up $5-$75 per night.

Polynesian rates on regular rooms went up $20-$50 per night.

Wilderness Lodge rates on regular rooms went up $15-$45 per night.

Deluxe Villa resorts:

Rates for Studios, 1-Bedroom Villas and 2-Bedroom Villas went up by $5-$50 per night for all dates and resorts, with one exception: Studios in Value 1 Season at the Beach Club Villas and BoardWalk Villas stayed the same price as in 2011.

Rates for Grand Villas increased by $60-$75 per night.

Animal Kingdom Villas has added a new, higher priced category at Jambo House: 1-Bedroom Villa Club Level.
Ft. Wilderness campsites:

The period between Columbus Day and Thanksgiving is now Pre-Holiday Season (was Value Season).

Rates went up $2-$10 per night.

Ft. Wilderness cabins:

Rates went up $5-$20 per night.

This information was found at: http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2012.html

Thanks for posting this. From time to time I start have "buyers remorse" reading some of the threads on here. This post helped me remember why I bought DVC. Imagine what the rates will be in 20 years!

Thank you for sharing this! While dues goes up every year, I like to see the change in hotel rooms too but am too lazy to do the work myself. ;)

I find it interesting that Disney is advertising club level DVC rooms at AKV. Those are typically gone quickly and not even all owners get them at the 11 month mark so it surprises me that cash guests will even have an option.

Make you wonder, doesn't it?

When I read this I was a bit shocked at how much rates go up or are going up for 2012. It made me happy to be a DVC member. :)

This is exactly why I finally decided to buy this year after debating the purchase for many years.

I find it interesting that Disney is advertising club level DVC rooms at AKV. Those are typically gone quickly and not even all owners get them at the 11 month mark so it surprises me that cash guests will even have an option.

Make you wonder, doesn't it?

The OP also mention Grand Villas going up. I'm pretty sure that Disney keeps a couple rooms from both the club level at AKV and the Grand villas. They have their own inventory of all the resorts and most likely all the different views/options.

Perhaps the general overall cost increases will finally result in DVC owners increasing the price that they charge when renting out points.

The annual hotel price increases combined with the hotel tax rates played a major factor in our joining DVC.

We look forward to seeing what hotel and DVC direct prices will be in 10 years.

This is eye opening info , yet again I am happy to be a DVC member as well but you know they will get extra $ out of us somehow as well ?

The OP also mention Grand Villas going up. I'm pretty sure that Disney keeps a couple rooms from both the club level at AKV and the Grand villas. They have their own inventory of all the resorts and most likely all the different views/options.

Yes, that is true but no one has really ever known how DVC/DVD decides which rooms to keep. For example, if they own 3% of the resort, do they hold back 3% of all room types or only certain ones.

For example, I have read that the BW view rooms at BWV are reserved for points and not offered to cash guests as part of Disney's ownership.

This shows that they have the ability to pick and choose what types of rooms they get keep.

Yes, that is true but no one has really ever known how DVC/DVD decides which rooms to keep. For example, if they own 3% of the resort, do they hold back 3% of all room types or only certain ones.

For example, I have read that the BW view rooms at BWV are reserved for points and not offered to cash guests as part of Disney's ownership.

This shows that they have the ability to pick and choose what types of rooms they get keep.

That's interesting. For some reason I just thought their 3% that is held back for their use was in points just like ours and would spend just like ours. I guess my imagination just filled in the rest... :laughing:

This past summer I thought about adding a night at Pop before our AKV stay and was shocked. The rack rate for a July Saturday night including tax was $160!!! In my mind Pop is a $75 per night resort!

Since "free" dining is so popular, I suspect raising room rates is a way for Disney to give "free" dining and still earn a good profit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the continued use of "free" dining as a major marketing tool for Walt Disney World with these rates.

Thank You for this great info it really brings alot to the table especially when someones says there are no changes after your purchase

This past summer I thought about adding a night at Pop before our AKV stay and was shocked. The rack rate for a July Saturday night including tax was $160!!! In my mind Pop is a $75 per night resort!

Since "free" dining is so popular, I suspect raising room rates is a way for Disney to give "free" dining and still earn a good profit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the continued use of "free" dining as a major marketing tool for Walt Disney World with these rates.

I agree with your thought about the continued increase in rates to compensate for free dining. It amazes me at how excited folks are over free dining that they are paying for. I know there is a small handful that may make out ahead, but this is not the norm. I also checked for an All Star stay prior to our next DVC stay. It was $140 a night. I remember the days of getting All Stars for around $50 a night with AP's.

This is exactly why I finally decided to buy this year after debating the purchase for many years.

Our biggest mistake was NOT buying in back in 1993.....I am so thankful we are members now. :cool1:

My AKV grand villa for 4 nights in November would have been a rack rate of $1790 per night plus 12.5% tax, for a whopping total of $8085.00. Add to that the $770 per night (plus tax) the BCV 2 BR we have for 6 additional nights, and the 5 nights we just had in a 1 BR at BWV (one on cash), and I am darn close to covering my initial investment in one year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter