Another getting to Logan Question

sneetch

Mouseketeer
I will be flying out of Logan Saturday 08/19 with my mother, sister, and niece. My Mother and Sister are terrified to drive thru any tunnells. My Sister downright refuses to go through any tunnells, and insists that we will have to find a way to get to Logan while avoiding all tunnells.:rolleyes: The Harbor Express unfortunately is not an option, because our flight leaves at 9:00 AM and first boat doesn't leave for Logan till 8:00 AM. Does anyone know if it's actually possible to get to Logan airport without going through any tunnells? To make matters worse, my sister is constantly late for everything, so if anyone knows of a way to get there, could you also tell me about how long it would take? We will be coming from Weymouth. Any suggestions?

How do they feel about the T tunnels? You can take the Blue Line out, and then shuttle over to your terminal.

I am by no means an expert on Boston traffic, but I'm pretty sure you can get there without having to go through any tunnels, BUT it's gonna be a long way around. You would have to go in via Rt 1A which comes in through Revere.

Have you thought about taking the Harbor Express the day before, stay overnight at one of the airport hotels and then use the transportation from the hotel to the airport? With an early flight it is possibly a good idea anyway.
Any driving option, to get to the Tobin bridge, would require driving through downtown Boston, or taking 128 all the way around the suburbs.

Youre in Weymouth! Hi neighbor.

Yes, you can get to Logan without tunnels. Not fun though. Too complicated to explain, sorry.

Yesit's possible, but you must come all the way north of the city and get off in Medford/Everett (Rt. 16) and then get over to route 1A as mentioned before. No tunnels, but tricky if you don't know your way.

On second thought, it could be easy. Just mapquest how to get to 1A and then go from there.

If they keep finding faulty Big Dig ceiling bolts, all tunnels may be shut down anyhow. You may have to find another way around.....:)

The only way is to go thru Southie (Morressey Blvd to Day Blvd to L St. L St to Summer St) and then the surface artery to the North end. then you go over the Washington St Bridge to the Tobin Bridge. There IS a short tunnel on the approach to the Tobin. Take the Beacon St. exit and follow the airport detour signs.

Or you take 128 to I95 to Rte 1 to Rte 16 to Rte 1A.
Or 128 to 193 to Rte 16 to Rte 1A.

It's a lot of extra time and trouble. The tunnels that are open are OK.

I drive to Chelsea every day from Carver. I'm not worried. When it's your time to leave this life, there is nothing you can do about it.

If your family insists on no tunnels, can you change your tickets for a flight out of Providence? It's an option.

cranbiz said:
I drive to Chelsea every day from Carver. I'm not worried. When it's your time to leave this life, there is nothing you can do about it.

If your family insists on no tunnels, can you change your tickets for a flight out of Providence? It's an option.

I agree, when it's your time to go, there's nothing you can do about it. I just went through Boston last week, and went through one of the tunnells, no big deal to me. Unfortunately, my family doesn't share that point of view.

I wish we could fly out of Providence, but I don't think it's an option. We are flying on JetBlue, I don't think they fly out of Providence; and I wouldn't be able to consider flying on another airline, cause my family has issues with that too.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and directions. Do you think if we left 3 hours before our flight that, that would be enough time taking one of those alternate routes?

sneetch said:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and directions. Do you think if we left 3 hours before our flight that, that would be enough time taking one of those alternate routes?
IMO, no. Even assuming thirty minutes from when you get onto 128 to 93, and fifteen minutes from there to 16, 16 has a decent number of traffic lights; then, since I don't use that part of 1A, I can't tell you how many lights or how far from the intersection of 16 and 1A to the airport; then you have to park...
I'd give it four hours, or, as somebody else suggested, take the boat over the night before and stay at or near the airport.

I was under the impression that the tunnels are still closed. Way out here in Western MA the Pike (as of today) still has a sign to seek an alternate route to Logan...Mind you that sign is in LUDLOW. Since Logan is the main throughoufare for WMASS to Europe, I guess that sign makes some sense.

Under the conditions I am hearing to get into Logan - 4 hours seems about right to make your flight and this id from Eastern MA (inside 128). Add additional if you are coming farther west or south.

Jeez, I SO am glad that BDL is so close for me for Canada and for domestic travel to DC and MCO.

We're leaving Logan on 8/19 also, but later in the day; we'll probably take the boat over. Coming back is a late flight; we may not get the last boat, but DW says she'd rather stay a night in one of the hotels there and get it the next day.

magsmom said:
I was under the impression that the tunnels are still closed. Way out here in Western MA the Pike (as of today) still has a sign to seek an alternate route to Logan...Mind you that sign is in LUDLOW.
LOL - yeah, I take Route 1 south into Boston every day, and there's one of those electronic signs saying (briefly) the connnector tunnel is closed and seek an alternate route to the airport. Keep in mind, one of the few benefits of living north of the city is not having to go into/through Boston to fly anywhere...

If you try mapquest and hit the 'avoid highway' button you should be able to get the directions without using the tunnels. We live North of Boston and when we use a car service they always go through Revere. We are leaving on the 19th of August too~but are flying SW out of Manchester.

Maybe I'll see you there :cool1:

magsmom said:
I was under the impression that the tunnels are still closed. Way out here in Western MA the Pike (as of today) still has a sign to seek an alternate route to Logan...Mind you that sign is in LUDLOW. Since Logan is the main throughoufare for WMASS to Europe, I guess that sign makes some sense.

Under the conditions I am hearing to get into Logan - 4 hours seems about right to make your flight and this id from Eastern MA (inside 128). Add additional if you are coming farther west or south.

Jeez, I SO am glad that BDL is so close for me for Canada and for domestic travel to DC and MCO.

I believe that only the Ted Williams tunnel is closed. The Sumner and Callahan tunnels are still open. By the way, I am watching this thread also. I am flying Jet Blue to Orlando in October with my sister and her family. Unfortunately, they live in Worcester so I will be traveling from the west instead of from the north where I live.

The I-93 North and South tunnels are also still open. Its just the connector from 90 to the Ted Williams. The Ted Williams is open to silver line busses and emergency vehicles on a sporadic basis.

From www.massport.com - keeping in mind none of these detours avoids ALL tunnels:

ALTERNATE ROUTES TO/FROM LOGAN

When entering the Airport, note that the inbound roadway system consists of an upper level for departures and a lower level for arrivals. All parking is accessed from the roadway on the lower/arrivals level.

Passengers are being detoured to alternate routes. Therefore, Massport is urging all Logan travelers to use public transportation whenever possible. For alternative routes to Logan Airport see below:

Alternate Routes ARRIVING TO Logan Airport

From the South:

Option 1: Follow I-93 North over Leonard Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge. Exit left at Exit 27, Route 1 North/Tobin Bridge. Cross Tobin and take first exit, Beacon Street/Chelsea Waterfront. Go straight off the Beacon Street ramp onto Chestnut Street. Take a right at the first set of lights onto Williams Street. Follow orange Logan Airport detour message boards and signs to access Logan Airport.

Option 2: Take I-93 North to Exit 23. Follow signs to Callahan Tunnel and Logan Airport.

From the North:

No Detours, use I-93 South to Exit 24B (Airport) or Route 1A South to Logan Airport.

From the West:

Take I-90 East to Exit 24B to I-93 North and use either Exit 23 or Exit 27. Follow the Logan Airport detour signs to access Logan Airport and East Boston through the Callahan Tunnel or Tobin Bridge. An alternate I-90 Eastbound route is to use Exit 18 (Allston/Cambridge) to Storrow Drive and either follow I-93 South to Exit 24B (Airport) or the Tobin Bridge.

The I-90 connector tunnel is closed. The Ted eastbound is open to Silver line and Logan Express busses only. Ted westbound is open to general traffic, everyone must exit before connector. I also heard that they were planning on opening a ramp to allow general traffic into the Ted eastbound from the waterfront so traffic from teh south has another option (via the bypass road).

I will be flying out tomorrow on business. I plan on taking the exit 27 detour (went through Boston today to Peabody and the exit 23 detour was backed up).

I will be more than happy to provide a trip experience if anyone is interested. I will also post updates as I hear them as I fly out of Logan often (and I come from south of the city - North Easton).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter