Another Food Question, Biggest Portions for Best Value.

cedarparkgirl

Mouseketeer
I have spent an hour trying to find the food threads but at last, I am tired, its midnight and I am hoping to wake up to many replies. We are going in 10 days (WOo HOo! Our first DL with 3 young girls 5,4,4) and I am planning on bringing snacks and water. I will probably do PBJ's for the girls because they are so picky and they will be really happy with that. However for myself,.. I won't be happy with that. With that said.. I was wondering could you all recommend some snacks/meals that are big in portion and are really good value? I am hoping that I could supplement the kids PBJ's with some of our food if they want.. or even better DH and I can split some. I have on my list to go to DGH to WWS,.. but I forget what everyone from here likes to order from there.. so if you don't mind posting again for me what you like from there that would be good. I also have on my list to buy a churro and a dole whip. If there is any other MUST HAVE OR I WILL REGRET IT FOREVER type of food please let me know. Thank you in advance to all the yummy replies.

PS: For those who bring in water bottles, where do you refill them typically?

Two DL restaurants that have good portions, we think anyway, are the pasta bowls at Redd Rocketts Pizza Port in Tomorrowland and the mexican food at Rancho del Zocalo in Adventureland.

Also, if you purchase a soda at these two places, you can get free refills!

I always take water bottles with me and there are drinking fountains all over the park, near the restrooms. Sometimes we buy those little drink flavor mixes and just dump them in with our water and we have an (almost) free drink!

I always bring in snacks like nuts, breakfast bars, hard candys just to have if we feel like nibbling in line. Although we may do breakfast at McDonalds, we usually don't leave the park for other meals.

Hope that helps and I'm sure you'll get loads of great advice from others!

The corn dogs (red cart on main street or corn dog castle in DCA) are large and very good! They are about $6, and if you request no potato chips it will save you about a dollar.

The meals at Riverbell terrace are large enough to share.

At the plaza inn or french market you can request all legs on the chicken meal- you'll get 4- which makes it easy to share, especially with kids.

I love the kids ravioli meal at pizza port. I order it with the white sauce. Its about $6, comes with a drink and breadstick. The salads there are huge and easy to share.

At WWS I often get the kids burger. Its pretty good, comes with fries, a large strawberrry and a drink- its about $6. I've heard the nachos are really good, but I havent ordered them.

These are the things I have tried and enjoyed at WWS:

Kids meal: Chicken strips (big white meat strips - yum). My son once asked for fruit instead of fries, and said he especially liked strawberries. They brought him out a huge basket of strawberries which the whole family shared.

Tuna Salad sandwich
Egg Salad sandwich
Grilled chicken sandwich with green chili (YUM)
Steak Nachos (easy to share)
Side Salad (so much more than what you get in the park)
Fruit Salad (again, so much more than what you get in the park)

I love the fact that there are free refills on soda here!

The nachos at WWS are huge and yummy! So is the french dip, 2 adults could easily share that. My kids can always get away with sharing one kids meal there!

Andrea

I agree with all of the above. I also want to add that in DTD the take out windows at Tortilla Joe's and Naples have large portions for not a lot of money. There is some seating or if you staying nearby, you can take it back to your room to eat there.

The portions were big at Tortilla Jo's and I wish I could eat there as I LOVE mexican food, but I ordered burritos only to find out they only used black beans in them! YUCK! Can anyone tell me if that has changed, I only like refired beans!

Andrea

The portions were big at Tortilla Jo's and I wish I could eat there as I LOVE mexican food, but I ordered burritos only to find out they only used black beans in them! YUCK! Can anyone tell me if that has changed, I only like refired beans!

Andrea

Lol Andrea, I am the same way! I got nachos that had black beans on them too. One thing abou it, they are easy enough to pick off the nachos! Next time I will order them w/o beans or see if they have refried beans. I have eaten at the sitdown part of Tortilla Joes many times and seem to recall I had a choice of beans in there.

What is WWS? Sometimes I get confused with all the Disney lingo

Lol Andrea, I am the same way! I got nachos that had black beans on them too. One thing abou it, they are easy enough to pick off the nachos! Next time I will order them w/o beans or see if they have refried beans. I have eaten at the sitdown part of Tortilla Joes many times and seem to recall I had a choice of beans in there.

When we were there, you had no choice. It was black beans only at the walk up window. Hope someone can confirm if it's different inside, I will go look at the menu now!! I would love to be able to eat there!!

Andrea

As I suspected, just went to the menu and everything in the sit down part has black beans in or with it. Bummer!! I know I'm being picky but I just can't pay that much to pick stuff out!!

Andrea

WWS is a great place for sharing. My DH and I always share the chicken burger there. Last time we were there, they asked us if we wanted fries or a fruit salad with that. We couldn't make up our minds, so we did half and half. They gave us such huge portions that we were able to share the fries and fruit with our DDs. The kids pizza is huge as well. This place is the reason why we don't spend much $$$ on food at DL.

I always take water bottles with me and there are drinking fountains all over the park, near the restrooms. Sometimes we buy those little drink flavor mixes and just dump them in with our water and we have an (almost) free drink!

I carry the favored packets myself. I have found that you can get a (full size) cup of iced water for free at the food court area near the SF sourdough bread and Mission tortillas buildings. That way I don't have to carry a water bottle with me. This is the only place (so far) I have found where you can get a free cup of water. Other food concessions stands will not give you a cup of water. The most they will give you is a small cup of ice and direct you to the nearest drinking fountain.
By the way, nice reading this thread. I learned a few new tips and I go the DL a lot!

My fave is the soup in a bread bowl at DCA.

BTW, the food thread is the first "sticky" thread at the very top of the page :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter