Another FastPass Question

avalon451

Errrr... what?
My DH is getting anxious about his "runner" role when we go to DLR in two weeks. He wants to know: if we're in the park on Magic morning early entry, and he wants to boogie on over and pick up fast passes for Space Mt. right at 8 a.m. park opening, is he going to encounter a line of like-minded people right at 8, and have to wait in line at the fast pass machine? Like, is it necessary to wander over there 10 or 15 minutes early? Seems to me that's a waste of EE time.

Anybody? Hydroguy?

No, he shouldn't have to wait in a line at that time. He may have to wait for 1 or 2 people in front of him, but that should be about it. Most people will be heading right to the stand-by que and ignoring the FP machines -- SUCKERS! ;)

No, he shouldn't have to wait in a line at that time. He may have to wait for 1 or 2 people in front of him, but that should be about it. Most people will be heading right to the stand-by que and ignoring the FP machines -- SUCKERS! ;)

Well, this is what we do. Get the FP, go on Space Mountain immediately after, then move on. We always go on SM at least twice each day, usually 3 times.

Avalon: It is not necessary to run on over exactly at opening nor before opening. On our early entry days, we concentrate on Fantasyland. As such, when the park opens, I think it is more important to get Casey Jr. and the canal boats in before going over for that first fast pass. Those both build waits quickly at opening. If he doesn't want to ride Casey Jr or the canal boats, he can go over while the rest of the family is riding those. If not, he can go over afterwards.

Avalon: It is not necessary to run on over exactly at opening nor before opening. On our early entry days, we concentrate on Fantasyland. As such, when the park opens, I think it is more important to get Casey Jr. and the canal boats in before going over for that first fast pass. Those both build waits quickly at opening. If he doesn't want to ride Casey Jr or the canal boats, he can go over while the rest of the family is riding those. If not, he can go over afterwards.

This is a neat strategy i hadn't thought about.

Quick question CW4D (& others)....are the Storybookland boats open at Gen. Adm. opening for you? The last 3 MM days we've found them closed at even 15 & 30 min. past the Gen. Adm. hour.

Also to all....I've avoided the Autowhateveritis Put Put Cars (because i always hated those things elsewhere).....but 9 y/o will want to do it next time...they have them at the local el disney wannabe park. Would THAT ride be a good one to ride immediately after MM? (Since i've read that it's not a great FP value, & i would hate to waste a perfectly good FP on a put put car ride).

& to the OP, I agree with everyone else.....there are several FP machines at SM. Only reason to get there RIGHT ON THE MINUTE would be if he's geeky (like me) of starting the FP windows quickly. No reason to get there early though.

Quick question CW4D (& others)....are the Storybookland boats open at Gen. Adm. opening for you? The last 3 MM days we've found them closed at even 15 & 30 min. past the Gen. Adm. hour.

Also to all....I've avoided the Autowhateveritis Put Put Cars (because i always hated those things elsewhere).....but 9 y/o will want to do it next time...they have them at the local el disney wannabe park. Would THAT ride be a good one to ride immediately after MM? (Since i've read that it's not a great FP value, & i would hate to waste a perfectly good FP on a put put car ride).

& to the OP, I agree with everyone else.....there are several FP machines at SM. Only reason to get there RIGHT ON THE MINUTE would be if he's geeky (like me) of starting the FP windows quickly. No reason to get there early though.

I would definitely do Autopia first. The FP doesn't save you much time at all, and you should be on and off quickly.

Hound, I share your experience with Storybook not being open right at park opening. I usually don't get around to riding them until night-time (preferrably, right after the parade when the line is short.).

Autopia (aka put put cars) :lmao: - also share your thoughts on that one. Avoid it like the plague. You're right that you shouldn't waste valuable FP's on it. If your ds has it on his must-do list, then knock it out right after park opening and git er done so you can move on to bigger and better things. ;)

Hound, I share your experience with Storybook not being open right at park opening. I usually don't get around to riding them until night-time (preferrably, right after the parade when the line is short.).

Autopia (aka put put cars) :lmao: - also share your thoughts on that one. Avoid it like the plague. You're right that you shouldn't waste valuable FP's on it. If your ds has it on his must-do list, then knock it out right after park opening and git er done so you can move on to bigger and better things. ;)

Thanks StacieLee & DM. Good to know about Autopia. :thumbsup2

I've had rotten luck with Storybook. Walked by at 10 or 15 after opening & nada. Walked by 30 minutes later & it's jammed. (twice).

I've done it twice (once at night & once during the day) & i really like that ride. (& it would be nice slow ride to do after banging thru 8 FL rides during MM.)

That & i need to check out that Brat outlet where the princesses hang out. Which genius decided to hide the bratWURSTS with a bunch of princesses?? :rolleyes1

Only reason to get there RIGHT ON THE MINUTE would be if he's geeky (like me) of starting the FP windows quickly. No reason to get there early though.

Oh, yes, he's geeky like you. He was looking over our rough itinerary of what to ride first and which fastpasses to get (thank you, Hydroguy!:thumbsup2 ) and speculating on just how quickly he could maximize the use of the FP windows.

You wouldn't be an engineer by any chance? Personally I think there oughta be a support group for spouses of engineers. :rotfl:

It IS a good strategy!

Definitely do Autopia very very early. Whatever you do do NOT get in that line as dusk starts settling in. Not only do things get noisier somehow as the sun goes down, but the line becomes even longer. Did not realize that was possible, but it's a true story! On the other hand, if you have older kids, you can have an impromptu lesson on neon and how it works. Brush up! :)

Autopia (aka put put cars) :lmao: - also share your thoughts on that one. Avoid it like the plague.

Hound and the cars, you and the princesses...:rotfl:

That & i need to check out that Brat outlet where the princesses hang out. Which genius decided to hide the brats with a bunch of princesses?? :rolleyes1

Oh gracious, I kept reading that with the "a" having the wrong sound. Thought "someone's going to have a conniption for calling their kids brats" (as I did when someone called my kid a brat on cruisecritic during a really super-fun discussion about RCCL's smoking policy!) and then finally FINALLY read the "a" as a long a. braaaaat. as in, wurst. Whew.

I have never had to wait more than a minute or 2 at most to get through any line to pick up a fastpass, but I guess that could be different on some holidays. If your husband gets the fastpass close to 8:00am, there will be no line. I promise. When we went the Monday before Thanksgiving last year, this is how it went for fastpasses in the morning:

Space at 8:00am
Splash at 8:45am
Indy at 9:30am
BTMRR 10:25
Haunted Mansion Holiday at 11:15
Space at 12:25pm

Tell your husband that the “runner” roll comes with benefits. First, it is always good to have your family want you to be around. I have 3 teenagers and that is not often the case. Also, when my family would head back to the hotel for lunch, I would usually make an extra side trip to grab a fastpass as I headed out. This gave me a couple minutes where I could sneak in a churro without having to get one for everybody in my family. I deserved it.

There are 5 FP machines at Space, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have the same problem with the Storybook Canal!! It's one of my favorite rides but others in my family don't like it so much (dbf) so I like to get it in early......seems like it's always got a huge line and no one (dbf) wants to wait so we skip it. :( Maybe I'll try the above strategy and let him go get FP's while the girls and I wait for the ride....or they can do the Teacups while I go on a boat ride by myself. :) lol

The only time I have had to wait more than about 2 minutes to get a FP was right after Space Mtn re-opened in 2005. It was still very short in the morning, but mid-day the FP lines could be more than two minutes - but still not more than 5 minutes.

As far as being the runner, I have always been the runner and I view it as follows:

1. It is much faster for me to walk to get the FPs and then back than to take the whole family.

2. I am a high energy person who does lots of walking and hiking in my spare time, so the FP runner job is something I like to do

3. When I can run for a FP, it saves energy for everyone - especially for my younger kids. It thus helps keep them more fresh and allows us to get in more hours.

4. We can multi-task - everyone takes a restroom break, goes in to shop for a little while, or grabs a spot for Fantasmic or a parade - that is the best time to go and get FPs

It IS a good strategy!

Definitely do Autopia very very early. Whatever you do do NOT get in that line as dusk starts settling in. Not only do things get noisier somehow as the sun goes down, but the line becomes even longer. Did not realize that was possible, but it's a true story! On the other hand, if you have older kids, you can have an impromptu lesson on neon and how it works. Brush up! :)

Hound and the cars, you and the princesses...:rotfl:

Oh gracious, I kept reading that with the "a" having the wrong sound. Thought "someone's going to have a conniption for calling their kids brats" (as I did when someone called my kid a brat on cruisecritic during a really super-fun discussion about RCCL's smoking policy!) and then finally FINALLY read the "a" as a long a. braaaaat. as in, wurst. Whew.

I just re-read it. Wow....that could have started a "can i swim at the GCH if I stay at Hojo" dust up. :lmao:

Thanks for posting this Bumber....yes i meant Bratwursts....... NOT Veruca Salt & Mike TeeVee. :3dglasses

I have a question about FPs (the down side, if there is one, to reading waaay too many boards is that you can get conflicting info:))
true or false: you can use your fast pass after the last time that is stamped on your pass.

I was always under the impression that you had to use it during the hour that is stamped, but I would be happy to be wrong:)
Thanks

I have a question about FPs (the down side, if there is one, to reading waaay too many boards is that you can get conflicting info:))
true or false: you can use your fast pass after the last time that is stamped on your pass.

I was always under the impression that you had to use it during the hour that is stamped, but I would be happy to be wrong:)
Thanks

Be happy, you're wrong! :goodvibes

It is true that you can use the FP anytime after the first time stamped on the pass, up until park closing that day. :thumbsup2

Oh, yes, he's geeky like you. He was looking over our rough itinerary of what to ride first and which fastpasses to get (thank you, Hydroguy!:thumbsup2 ) and speculating on just how quickly he could maximize the use of the FP windows.

You wouldn't be an engineer by any chance? Personally I think there oughta be a support group for spouses of engineers. :rotfl:

ROFL :lmao: I will be your support group! My DH takes his running very seriously..it is a science, not to be taken lightly. He collects them immediately, and after all the experience, he knows the windows well enough that he will duck out on an attraction that we will repeat or that he is not interested in and head for more. He likes to grab them in order of what we need for the day, as soon as the windows open. We take advantage of late FP, so he collects them, and if we get all the ones we have planned on, he will get more for the big rides. If the window is open, he is on the move!!!

His must have FP runner kit?

1. His hard case waterproof pass and FP lanyard (actually purchased on DCL).

2. Laminated 'mini' itineraries, just the time and location, with FP collections highlighted.

3. Consistent supply of cold water bottles. :rotfl:

I totally agree! Waiting the 10 minutes those 2 rides will take won't be a big deal. He won't have a wait at the FP machines. Nobody else besides DISers is even thinking about FP until 11 am...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter