• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Ei$ner Revenue Move

tpnj@aol.com

Tigger's #1 Fan
I just read that the Value Resorts will implement an immediate room rate increase. It's positioned as a room "category" and will be $15 higher than the rest of the resort for each price point in the various seasons.

Each resort will designate certain buildings (those closest to the food court building, etc.) and these will be known as "preferred" where each room in these buildings will be $15 more than the rooms throughout the rest of that particular resort. The article was clear to point out that no additional ammenities will be included in this new room "category".

Disney definitely has clever marketing pros - they can think of all sorts of ways to eek out additional revenue in ways that offer no incremental value.

:smooth:

Howdy,

Here are the details as reported in Deb Wills All Ears Newsletter:

Value Resorts Add Second Room Category in 2002Value Resorts Add Second Room Category in 2002

Starting next year, All Stars Resort buildings closest
to the food court, main pool, buses, laundry and
playground will be categorized as "preferred"
locations. Although they will not offer special
amenities or views, they will be priced from $10 to
$15 over the standard category, depending on season.

These preferred locations will include: the Fantasia
Buildings at All Star Movies, the Calypso Buildings
in All Star Music and Surf's Up in All Star Sports.
The new Pop Century Resort will also have these room
designations, but the buildings have not been
identified yet.

This is not outrageous. If it sells, that's great. I figured that they might eventually start charging $10 or so more for the rooms that overlook the pools. I mean, at the moderates, there are rooms with views of the smaller pools that are considered "premium". There are no balconies there either, so I have wondered why anyone would pay more. However, a backside room on the "T" of the building at the All Stars really isn't "premium". Perhaps it is only the rooms along the front side? Who knows.

Yeah, Even the Vaunted Polynesian has had 2-3 room categories (garden, Lagoon, Suite) I just didn't think there was a view change good eough to justify it down there. Of course the price difference at poly is more then $15 a night.

It is beyond me, why anyone will be willing to Pay more money for a view at Disney World I might be able to see looking at the Castle or the Parks, But most of the rooms now either face a Parking lot, The Pool, or some trees,. Spending most of the time at the park or at the pool. How much time is actually spent looking at the view. Now if Disney is charging more for convience, Closer to food Courts and Pools and Such, Hey so be it, If the customer will pay let them. Now we will have a Standard Room, Garden Room, Water View Room, and a Close Proximity Room.

trust me, If you've stayed in a lagoon view room at the poly, you definatly felt it was worth the money, because you do see the castle, every morning when you wake up. Of course even the garden views there are pretty nice.

While it will get them more money, I think it's more an attempt at controlling the building requests. If they make the most-requested buildings more expensive, a lot of people will think twice about making the request.

As it is now, if 60% of the guests request 20% of the rooms, a lot of people will be disappointed.

- Andy

Wonder what happens if you don't want to stay in the building that is $15 extra but when you get there that is all they have available?:earseek:

Originally posted by CapHook
Wonder what happens if you don't want to stay in the building that is $15 extra but when you get there that is all they have available?

I'm sure it would just be considered a complimentary upgrade.

- Andy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter